1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning a flotation suit

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dezzy, Sep 2, 2010.

1. dezzy

dezzy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi could anybody tell me the best way to clean my flotation suit? Can you machine wash them? Ive tried with a damp cloth and its not getting rid of any stains etc. Thanx

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

When I had one I put it in the washing machine on a fairly low temp wash and it was fine

3. richie7

richie7 Blenny

4. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am lucky enough to have 2 suits because when one gets minging as they do, I just put it on, then get a bucket of hot soapy water and get the wife to scrub me down, then hose off the suds and hang it up to let it dry, meanwhile I wear the other one.
    To reproof I just go to the camping centre and get a can of spray on stuff to waterproof tents . Works for me. :butt:

The long winter evenings are a blast in our house, they just fly by.

Roger

5. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

According to the instructions on mine you should wash on a 40 degree cycle with no detergants just let the water clean it, then hang it over the bath for a day or 2. Thats how i clean mine and up to now its done the job.

Tight lines
    John

6. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

just wash it 40 degrees,then when it's dry re water proof it simples :yes:

7. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

i just hand wash mine. never fully get's rid of the smell but you don't want it too clean. i think i'll try the re- proofing next time sounds a good idea

8. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi dezzy
    As silverfox. Used to wash mine every time after being on standby. Don't forget to reproof after washing.
    all the best

9. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If the suit is made from a breathable material then it is recommended that you use a non detergent washing power like nikwax tech wash or good old soap flakes. It's also a good idea to wash out the drawer that you put the powder in and run the machine on a 90 degree service wash with a couple of old towels in to try and get rid of any detergent in the machine before you put your suit in. Detergent won't effect the waterproofness of your suit but it will effect it's performance and breathability