1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

circle hooks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Mar 21, 2014.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

How do men. Do any of u use circle hooks as your main hook. ie not just for top pennel. If so what size do u go for. I have never use them and think they look strange but this is because I am not use to them. Do you think in a big size they would offer an advantage on the wrecks in summer bait fishing

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They don't seem to be easy to use for threading worms etc and if you are using cart there isn't a lot to wrap your bait cotton onto.
    I am thinking about wrecking and maybe using them for assist hooks on pirks or using them with jellys/shads that don't have there own hooks?? what do you think? :)

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

for fish baits and squid i think they could be good . as said not good for worm bait. I am thinking that if a big ling or cod took say a 10/0 it would hook itself every time..

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No good for worm baits oh yes they are they work a treat with worm crab squid & fish baits Ive used them for a year or three now & love them just remember not to strike Have a read at this lot it will make you think http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/tackle-equipment-discussions/1387972-review-mustad-demon-fine-wire-circle-hooks.html

5. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

so thats y u havent had a fish in 3 years tatch ;) ;D

6. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi pal the reason circle hooks are so good fished static means the fish has a reasonable amount of time to swallow the bait or at least get it inside of its mouth for the circles to work effectively on a pirk or jig ,as an assists hook in my opinion wouldn't be as effective using circles as the lure is moving up and down at a certain speed that most fish would miss the point of hook up on a flying assist ,by all means give it a try but me personally I wouldn't have the confidence using them are there are far better assist hooks to be had ,stingers octopus to name a few I use owners as there really is nothing better but they do not come cheap, the best circle hooks I have found for general fishing are red rapala ,mutu circles or chinu owners which I stock up on two or three times a year from the sports fishing shop in Tenerife as are a bit cheaper over there, hope this helps.

7. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

maybe a combination of a O'Shaughnessy lower and a circle higher up on a pirk??
    H'mmm I might take some to work and make an assortment. :)

8. SamuelSox

SamuelSox Guest

Hello. And Bye.

Heinz Buchmann is Appointed President of LVMH GermanyMaster in Business, Master in Business Administration from the University of Cologne The University of Cologne (German Universit盲t zu K枚ln) is one of the oldest universities in Europe and, with over 44,000 students, the largest university in Germany. He tried to find a way to express his thoughts, and found that the Chinese poems could help him (Liu Li, 2007). Sometimes people are forced to be rightfully deceitful towards their mate for example, having a secret bank account or that secret stash. tiffany heart earring011 new summer Recommendedtiffany heart earring Earrings followed the usual fresh air, most women will never be able to grasp the real needs of most women to understand the true heart.

Cheap Shoes Online Wholesale and Outlet Store

nike air max shoes

To celebrate this milestone anniversary and thank loyal New Yorkers for their patronage, the chef, M Tejada, is offering a five-course tasting menu through the month of June. It can be hard to spot the goats in the peak season as they tend to make themselves scarce, but some the best places to see them are around the Invalid's Walk and Marine Drive. Wenn du nicht wei脽t, ob dein Computer diese Ausstattung hat oder nicht, suche online nach dieser Information. : , Columbia Sportswear Saturday Trail Straight Convertible2.

Once they ae satisfied, the photogaphes wi ask the advance money. This stainless steel cookware set from Calphalon makes a fantastic Christmas gift or nice big surprise! I am talking about that week and a half to two weeks of discomfort, emotional discourse and inflated proportions. See where you can help and support more people.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  9. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Last year Cloughton match one single Circle hook rigs is all i used , with various baits cart ,razor,squid, worm . just rigged in different way .
    must have worked came 8th and 12th in diawa open couple of years back .

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. cryo

cryo Blenny

Circle hooks are designed to self hook fish in the side of the mouth and are great when used for cod and whiting as they self hook and you don't spend ages unhooking especially with whiting. With larger cod they are generally swallowed like all hooks and will hook well but deep in bigger fish. They are not suitable for jigs or moving lures as they are designed to turn when a fish moves away from a static line and impale in the jaw line. They were initially designed for long lining for bottom feeding species and I personally use them for the majority of my winter shore fishing with good success and rarely miss a bite as the fish generally hooks itself once the rod end goes.

Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use 6/0 circle hooks with asda cooked prawn on the boat fantastic results

12. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Tried that link but I couldn't get it to work for some reason but found the article, which is very good and took this link, hope it works. Cheers
    Review: mustad demon fine wire circle hooks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Tried them last year for bait fishing when wrecking., (Got 3rd in summer festival with a 15lb 10oz ling on a circle hook Admittedly pinched the rig from Perry) I found I was not connecting to the fish as often as when using O'Shaugnessy hooks needless to say I don't use them anymore. As a top hook on a pennel with a static bait then Why not. Everyone to his own I guess. Try them and see for yourself.