1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build. *update finally launched*

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Jellyworm, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Re: Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build.

I think the chesapeake will be a bit like a barge compared to that razor blade you ve got Andy :wink:......only thing it might save a bit with is that is 17FT long , but a good deal beamier at 24"

Kim now tells me that she fancies a sea kayak ...I know what her next idea will be........just as I thought the smell of epoxy was soon going to be history :sad:... :laugh:

2. andym

andym Rockling

Its all just practice and technique on a lighter note managed loads of Rolls today can do them 100% of the time (pity it was on my back lawn where nobody could see lol)

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Another setback today, I coated the cockpit coaming with a new epoxy...... Two days later it has not cured. So I ve had to scrape and scrub the goop off. The supplier is now running a test batch as it is a new product to them as well. Now I m in a quandary do I mix up a second pot and try it and risk the same problem or wait to see what the supplier says ? Another little set back

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Be patient Dave. You've got it this far, so a week or so wont matter.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh I know, after a few hours elbow grease all the gunk was removed and I managed to get some stopper filler on a few tiny imperfections on the hull. The hull is now super smooth, one more coat of filler primer tomorrow and the hull will be ready for painting with top coat 8)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well after much scraping and cleaning with acetone and a little heat from the heat gun all the duff epoxy has been removed, the area re-sanded and a different epoxy was applied this morning before work. I ve just checked and it has all gone off as it should :cool: :cool: :cool:

I also got the second coat of filler primer on this morning, so tomorrow before work I'm hoping to get the primer flattened off and then the bow end pour done. The end pour is a pouring of epoxy into the very tip of the bow to add some extra strength to resist knocks and bumps, also I'll be then drilling through it so I can fit a grab handle through the hole. Fingers crossed it stays fine tomorrow.

The primer coats done :

[​IMG]

Back on track for finished yak sometime in the next week :cool:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

After the disaster the other day with the non setting epoxy I have been waiting fr a response from the supplier. I got that response today.

I ve been told that they have removed the product from their sales, as they carried out their own test and found exactly the same problem that I had experienced....phew ! I knew I had got the mix ratios exact , but there was still a nagging doubt in the back of mind.

I'd like to say what cracking service I ve had from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies in Hartlepool, they looked into the problem and gave me honest answers. Now that they have confirmed that there is an issue with the product they are sending me a replacement and also an Epoxy clean up kit......Thanks lads and lasses....highly recommend this company for a down to earth customer biased service......rare to find nowadays. :cool: :cool: :cool:

So back to the build........sanded the filler primer flat today and masked of the deck so all ready for the first coat of top coat, hopefully tomorrow. The plan is at least three coats of paint with a light sand between coats.

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Looking great Dave. Its not often a product doesn't go off, especially at this time of year, looking forward to getting out with you soon :happy:

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

She's looking good Dave :happy:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

She's now looking very red ! :cool: I ve just got the first of the top coats on the hull, two more to go then flip er over rub her down and lick her with varnish ! :wink:

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Just a quick update, two coats of 'Toplac' are now on the kayak. Rolled on then tipped out with a foam brush to smooth things out. I wet sanded between coats as well. One maybe two more coats of paint before I move on to the varnishing of the deck. :cool:

How she's looking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ve been toying with the idea of a nice fancy paddle to match the kayak, so today I ve ordered the materials to build a wood and carbon fibre bladed paddle, watch this space to see how that comes along. I need to get the painting and varnishing done first before I fill the garage with dust again. :wink:

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The end is nigh.......hull final top coats done, deck edging on third coat, one more to go then just the varnish and deck fittings.......phew...what a busy month it has been on the chesa............the carbon fibre arrived today so the paddle build can start in ernest. A neighbour has a scroll saw to cut the radius on the ends of the shaft ! oooh err :wink:

13. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

RED! :) Looking great!!

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Since the last update I ve been busy painting and varnishing, sanding then some more of the same ! :cool:

It's looking nice now with just a few little bits to finish off, the kayak still needs one last thinned coat of varnish but I'm hoping for a day with little or no wind, as even in the garage the drafts around the doors kick up bit of dust. I don t want the final coat to be spoiled by little specks so I'm just trying to wait a little.

[​IMG]

I've made a start on the paddle today, I'd already lofted out the blade shape on paper from some online plans and so today I started on the shaft and the blade lay-up process.
    I'm using a 25mm wooden shaft that will then be wrapped in carbon fibre to give it more rigidity (and to look the part :cool:)
    The blades are a touring style shape and I'm laying up a layer of carbon fibre, then a layer of fibre glass then another layer of carbon fibre will go over the back of the shaft where it makes the spine of the blade. That is the plan........but this is real adventure into the unknown for me. Hopefully it will work out......especially given the price of carbon fibre cloth ! :scared:

I ve unashamedly copied the blade profile from another paddle, to make sure the paddle works after all this trouble making it !

The paddle will have a 70 degree feather to it so it will match the paddle I'm used to. I used a jigsaw and then a homemade shaping knife to carve the profile on the shaft where the balde will sit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo's above just show the profile that has been shaped on the shaft. The plywood underneath is the former for the blades.

I've made the former by cutting two bits of wood to the same profile as the blade will end up minus 5mm on the radius to allow for the thickness of the blade and the plywood that is sat on top of the wood. The former has then been covered in packing tape so that the epoxy won't stick to it once cured.

The carbon and glass fibre layers are then laid on top one at a time and wetted out with epoxy resin, just enough to wet the cloth through but not too much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I m doing the blades one at a time, once set up I'll lay the template for the blades onto the two pieces and mark out the two blades , I ll have to remember to turn the template over to get opposite handed blades.

Fingers crossed it all cures ok :cool:

15. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

very very impressed, nice one she looks class

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Cheers Foo, once the final finishing touches are done I'll take some more flattering photographs of the kayak :cool:

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It floats !

Today after work I decided that the Chesapeake 17 had to finally get wet ! The only thing is .......I left it to Kim to capture the moment with her camera :sad: :sad: Might as well have not bothered...lol She's as much use with a camera as tit's on a fish !

Anyway here is the best of the magic moment .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kayak felt very tippy and so my next few sessions will be on enclosed waters (a nearby lake), I also struggled to self rescue so won't be venturing out on the sea again until I ve got that down. :cool:

18. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff really need to get back out in mine and brush up on my self rescues I'm still at the stage of feeling a bit afraid of it but as soon as I'm back in the UK I will master it

19. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That must have been a magic feeling! Congratulations.

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks Will,

Andy....I know what you mean, it reminded me of the first few hours in the dorado.....trying to work out what is edging and what is too far that it tips.

I managed to catch it a few times with a brace but once I either missed the brace or leant it too far I was over and then struggled to get back. I ve been re-watching loads of sef rescue vids for the rest of this evening and I ve worked out where I think I was going wrong.

Two days off after tomorrows shift so I reckon I ll be spending a good deal of those two days on a local lake , working on the self rescues.

The kayak was very easy to paddle albeit with me tensing a bit which wasn t helping. It tracks really straight, maybe too straight with the skeg like stern I don t think straight lines are going to be a problem.

The yak spent a good bit of time upside down and only about an egg cup full of water got in the front hatch, none in the rear so I m happy with that as that is what most experience with this type of kayak.

Early days and if I put the hours inI m sure it will soon feel comfortable and enjoyable to paddle rather than a bum clenching experience like tonight was.....lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: