1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build. *update finally launched*

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Jellyworm, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Re: New kayak at last. updated FIRST STAGE OF THE 'GLUE' PROCESS 15/09/10

Looks awesome

2. Tim in Yorkshire

Tim in Yorkshire Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm liking this, I'm planning to build myself a HWS (Hollow wooden surfboard) this winter, some similarities wrt the build process.

How did the glassing go, did you have any issues with blushing of the epoxy?

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The epoxy I used on the lower hull is a non blushing type. The epoxy for the deck I m not so sure and so I am re-coating every 8 hours or so to avoid any amine blush. From all the hours of research I ve done and time being limited I am prepared for a blush problem. My plan is that if I miss the time window for a chemical bond between coats then I will wash the deck down with detergent and an abrasive pad then clear water, dry off then sand lightly to give an abrasive bond to the next coat, wipe down with acetone before applying the next coat.

The laying up of the glass was part of the build I was dreading, but to be honest it has gone well. Just work methodically and use large pots for mixing up the epoxy . I used cups for the first part of the hull and the breaks to mix more epoxy meant the job dragged out. To do the deck I used a pot that held 400ml (300 resin + 150 hardener , the second batch of epoxy is 2:1 mix ratio), the larger mix was much easier and I just had enough in the one pot to do the full deck.

One thing that I didn't read anywhere on build logs was the use of a laminating roller (a hard nylon grooved roller) to roll the resin into the cloth. I got one and it was great for wetting out the cloth. I poured the resin onto the cloth, then used a plastic spreader to squeegy it across the cloth and then the roller to force the resin through the weave, then another squeegy with the plastic spreader to wipe off the excess. First coat just to wet out the cloth, so that the weave is still visible, then the second and third coats to fill in the weave.

First go at laminating anything this size but despite my fears it's not that bad......just make sure you use slow curing epoxy.

The epoxy I used for most of the build is from FyneBoat Kits and is non blushing, cures in about 24 hours providing the workshop isn t too cold.

I ve got a Kevlar strip to add at some point to the keel line to add some extra protection, I ve no idea how it will behave when I wet it out with epoxy and it isn't cheap , so that will be another venture into the unknown ! :wink:

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build.

I decided to fit the cockpit coaming today instead of more epoxy coats. After mustering up all the clamps I could find and an extra pair of hands from a mate I first marked a centre line and then one by added spacers, buttered up with thickened epoxy, then finally the coaming ring. Packers under the clamps and then carefully bend the lot down to fit the curve of the deck. A quick clean up and that is that for another 24 hours while the glue cures. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll mark out and cut the deck hatches next. :cool:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Re: Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build.

After a bit of lunch I decided to push on and get the hatches marked out and cut out. The plans give a full size half template for each hatch so it was out with the tracing paper and I soon had a couple of templates to lay on the deck to mark around. The plans do not give any measurements for the hatches, only approximate positions with the forward and aft bulkheads acting as datum points I moved forward 3" for the forward hatch and a little further aft of the bulkhead for the back hatch.

It really has been a day of clamps,clamps and more clamps ! ! ! Once the hatches were cut out there are stiffeners to epoxy to the underside of the deck around the inside of each hatch. They were easy to fettle and so were soon glued in place and that is it for today. Back to work tomorrow so I doubt much will get done for the next couple of days.

Just a couple of pics of the hatches etc.....oh and clamps :laugh:

Aft hatch.
    [​IMG]

F'ward hatch.
    [​IMG]

These show the approx position of the hatches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Clamptastic ;-) love how elegant this is looking. I would love to have the skills to try something like this.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

7. Tim in Yorkshire

Tim in Yorkshire Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Let me know if you want to sell some clamps at the end of the build, or alternatively pass on your source of cheap clampage !

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

local builders merchant for some,ebay others and a good few i had in my toolbox from days as an aircraft fitter.

All needed for the next build.......a selway-fisher 15ft motor canoe. The stitch and glue method really doesn t require any great skills,just being able to read drawings, mark out some parts or buy a pre cut kit.........mine has ended a mix of both....started out as a kit but i ve had to fabricate some bits as well.

Now this build is nearing the end i m looking forward to the next which will be completely from scratch,just working to drawings.....the stitch and glue method being the same as for this one.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Back to work today so not much done. I have managed an hour or so in the garage as soon as I got home. The cockpit coaming has set up nicely, still some trimming and sanding to achieve the finished profile but it's looking nice :cool:

[​IMG]

I decided that as time was tight I would lay up the kevlar keel strip. From the research I've done there seems to be two distinct camps as far as keel strips go. One says fit them on top of the finished hull, but they appear to be the sacrificial self adhesive type. The other is to lay it up on the hull then finish the hull. I ve gone for the second option, the plan being that the hull needs two to three more coats of epoxy on top of the glass cloth anyway so I won't be adding much more weight by laying up the kevlar with the second hull coat and then filling in the weave with the next two coats, then the lot will be faired with epoxy and micro balloons to a smooth finish to then paint.
    So the kevlar wont be visible but will offer protection to the keel for shingle and rock landings.

The tape prior to wetting out.
    [​IMG]

I decided to lay it up onto a pre-coat of epoxy to help locate the strip and keep it in place while I wet it out with a brush and unthickened epoxy. It went ok, other than the kevlar is definitely harder to work with than glass fibre tape , but the pre wetted area along the keel did stop the tape from sliding about. I ve given the tape a good coat of epoxy and also the bottom section of the hull. I'll be going to check all is well in a couple of hours and then all being well a further coat of epoxy over the same area tomorrow.
    Without a doubt the major expense of a build like this , once you've bought the wood, is the epoxy. I m nearly through my 2nd gallon, and it's not cheap ! I'm hoping that I won't need too much more to get the finish I'm after.

This is the tape wetted out along the keel line......nearly straight :wink:

[​IMG]

Next stages are just further coats of epoxy, so if I get a spare hour I will be starting the rudder build. I m going to build a rudder rather than buy one so that should save me a couple of hundred quid on buying a factory made rudder it.....all being well. :cool:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No pictures today, just very sore fingers, lots of sanding discs spent and another day of sanding ahead for tomorrow ! :sad:

But it is the necessary evil that I knew would have to be done.....what a ball ache though. :sad:

11. Supersonic

What's the estimated launch date Dave? You getting giddy about it yet?

12. Supersonic

Any progress on the rudder building by the way?

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve got the rudder blade cut out and profiled, also the spacers for either side of the blade thatr the deployment lines run around are done. I need some 12mm ply for the next stage of the rudder build so that will be on hold for a couple of days Kev.

Another day sanding today and I ve got the first coat of fairing filler on the hull. That should have gone off enough to sand tomorrow. Also fitted the aft hatch rim. Probably still a good few hours off painting, mainly fairing the hull so that the finish is hopefully good. Oh nearly forgot I also got the thigh braces fitted inside the cockpit.

Should be launch day in a couple of weeks Kev. :cool:

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

impressive dave well done ,glad your interest in it has come back,its looking very good now .

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve today finished the construction.....no more bits to fettle and glue in place. Just a bit of tidying up and tweaking before the paint and varnish are applied.

The last two days has been nothing but sanding , apply epoxy filler, sand some more....more epoxy.....sand :sad: :sad: :sad:....seen far too much of the orbital sander !

I found that applying the kevlar tape prior to final finish was a mistake ! As I sanded back the epoxy that was rough over the kevlar , the tape didn t flat off like fibreglass. Instead it lifted and fluffed up........so I had to rethink things and this morning laid up a strip of 4 oz glass tape over the top of the kevlar and once wetted out it has taken the keel back to a nice smooth profile....phew ! At least I know that the keel is well and truly protected.

Thanks Bill....you never know she might be fitted out with a rod holder and given an outing in the Scarborough Kayak match , so you'll see the stern as we vanish towards the horizon at sports kayak speed :wink: :wink: :wink:

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

After the arly morning kayak fishing session this morning I got a few other jobs done around the place and then knuckled down to another good few hours sanding.
    The hull has now sanded nice and smooth, after the feux pas with the kevlar tape earlier in the week, it looks like all has been saved with only a day or so extra work.

The hull is ready for a coat of paint maybe tomorrow afternoon, I ve just got to sand a few runs inside the epoxy and give the cockpit coaming and hatch rims a coat epoxy first.

The end of the project is nearing and there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel now. I m hoping that if things go to plan the kayak should be ready for launch next week.

I ve just got to think of a name for her now. :confused:

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

You know what Dave, i have always felt you were letting yourself down by not finishing your initial project, and wanting to sell it. Well done, and i hope you have many years of pleasure from your Chesapeake.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes your probably right matey.....I hung it up in the garage when I was off my feet and then other things just seemed to take priority, I m pleased I never sold it now. Mind you the last few weeks have seen just about every day off work and evenings spent on the build.

To anyone thinking of building similar..........go for it, not hard to do and very very satisfying. Mine won t be furniture quality, more 'work boat' but without doubt I ll be very proud of the kayak when it is finally finished. :cool:

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

After the afternoons sanding yesterday , just a little bit done today. A coat of epoxy has gone on the hatch rims and stiffeners, so hopefully that is now all the bare wood coated. I ve also given the actual hatch covers a coat of epoxy, they will need a sand after it has cured so that they are ready to be varnished when I do the deck.

I've also got the first coat of high build primer on, the stuff was not very pleasant to apply , thankfully it didn t take long and the fine weather meant I could have the garage doors open for ventilation. The primer dried quickly and has done what I hoped that the first coat would, it has shown up a few little imperfections that will need a little bit of filler. Not too many which I m really pleased with so I must have got the fairing something like.
    Oh and I've marked and masked the overlap onto the deck where the paint will come over from the sides, with a radius at fore and aft.

Just a couple of pics of how the kayak looks updated.

[​IMG]

This one of the front looks ok (I think ) in the photo but the main little imperfections are along the stem line, so wopuld really obvious when painted if I don t put them right now.

[​IMG]

That's all for a few days , still looking god though pending any mishaps for a launch in about a week. :cool:

20. andym

andym Rockling

Looking very good mate did a few 're entries in lumpy conditions last night was a bit tricky but succeeded need a lot more practice but caught some small waves in it which was fun