1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chesapeake 17 Sea Kayak build. *update finally launched*

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Jellyworm, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Spawney and Ken have known I ve been after a sea kayak for a while.....finally picked it up from Fyneboats in Cumbria this week.

[​IMG]

Don't think I can take it out for a paddle just yet !

Hopefully she will be launched in few months time.....I ll post up the progress as the build goes along.

After unpacking and checking all the parts started with scarfing together the bottom panels from three pieces into the 17ft long panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's it for today , scarfs epoxy'd and clamped so nothing more til they have set, then next the side panels.

Cheers jellyworm.

2. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Re: New kayak at last.

Looks like a good project for the coming winter months. Good luck with it.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thats fantastic Dave, be really interested to see it develop. Incidently there was two guys in much the same type of kayaks that they had built themselves on the Eddystone Challenge - and one of them went shooting passed me very close to the finish line - so they are certainly a true kayak and pretty damn quick too :cheesy: .

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks like a pile of wood to me ,be great to see how it ends up in the finished article,will be watching with interest so keep posting so we can all see how your doing with the project,

5. langy

langy Rockling

How long will it take to build up Dave ??

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Most people who have built from the kit take between 60 and 80 hours.......not in a rush though the plan is to get the kayak to the varnish stage before the really cold weather sets in though so I don't have to worry about heating the garage too much for the epoxy to cure properly....the varnish is less temperature intolerant so working in winter won't or shouldn t cause any issues with varnish.

What is out of shot are the other sheets of marine ply I bought as well for the wooden fishing kayak that is project number 2. :cool: One at a time though not got the room to do two as it is I m corner to corner of the double garage.

7. langy

langy Rockling

That will keep you going, something to do when you get bored sat watching tv :D

Langy

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

If thats a sea kayak Dave, I've just slung a couple in the skip :laugh: sounds like you aren't getting enough overtime too :whistle:

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Lol.......overtime Ray ? Couldn't be further from the truth :cry: :cry:

The reason I went for the kit at first was because a new glassfibre yak like Spawneys was £2400 ! No way my kit including plans,all fittings all materials and consumables is a third of that. Plus having looked and looked at the wooden boats for months now I am a wood convert beautiful looking craft......Hopefully next year the jelly fleet will include Yorkshires 1st wooden fishing kayak. :cool: :cool:

In the meantime I ve got to save up for the Gordon Brown kayak course that Dave and Marion went on.......oh well no pockets in shrouds as they say ! :wink:

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Will be interesting watching your progress Dave. How do they compare weight wise?

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Good luck with it dave ,,,you like your projects you like.......

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well the work has started , so far I ve scarfed together all the sections into the 17.5ft long panels that form the hull.
    Was quite nerve wracking making sure everything was aligned and fair before applying the epoxy to the joints and clamping in place.

The next job was to scarf together the shear clamps. They are the long wooden battens that run along the top edge of the side panels of the hull where the deck will eventually be fastened. They come in 8ft sections so again some more epoxying and clamping to make the full length sections.

Today I fixed the shear clamps to the side panels and they are curing tonight. Tomorrow is the first stage in the actual stitch and glue process of joining the hull paanels. I ll explain what that involves hopefully tomorrow night when I have a few pics of the hull taking shape.

Cheers Jellyworm.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff Dave,will be interesting to see how it comes on from this early stage through to completion :wink: :happy: tight lines

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If you compare to a Dorado Ray....the standard Dorado weighs in at 57lb the Chesapeake 17 I m building comes in at 45lb fully rigged so a bit lighter.

15. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great post Dave, and good on you for doing stuff a bit different. I'm realy looking forward to the photos of your progress.
    Regards Ian

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I really like the look of that kayak Dave. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

17. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Look's like a M.F.I. flatpack are you sure it's a yak? :suspious: you would look very strange going past the pier extension's at whitby in a "KAY.ROBE" :surprise: :laugh:

18. newdave

newdave Guest

just found this post Dave, really interesting project cant wait to see the next set of photos, might be worth getting down to the hull kayak club when they start there pools sessions. I believe they have an up & coming coach who's quite good :wink:

the wooden Dorado will be very interesting, as you can design it from scratch to stow everything.
    we were looking at a wooden canoe that fossil mikes next door neighbour made, think ken has a photo ?
    he had finished the outside with clear resin that made it really touch but still kept the lovely wood finish.

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi Dave,not sure if I m just reading your last wrong....my mention of the Dorado was just a weight comparison for Ray. The kayak I m building is a Chesapeake 17. I won t post a picture yet it might spoilt the surprise when (if) I manage to succesfully build her.
    Got waylaid sorting my shore gear out yesterday for my monumental sh!tfish session today in the codling only match....lol
    So the next stage, which is to start to 'stitch' the hull together will get under way after work tomorrow all being well.

20. wok

wok Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good luck Dave :happy: