1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheers smokey - Kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Apr 13, 2007.

1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

after reading smokies report on bemo (easter monday match) i took my kayak and tucked under cliff about 300 yards off opposite the high water mark boiler - had 5 fish all 2 to 3lb mark and a smattering of billets, great afternoon with the cliffs cloaked in mist, cheers smokey

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Re: cheers smokey

No worrys Quint.Might be over there in the boat tomorrow some time.Going on a species hunt,hopefully the fog will lift :eek: :eek:

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Intresting that. I,ve always fancied kayaking but never thought of fishing out of one. Surely there can be no better area than Bempton and Flamborough in summer to go kayaking. Do you need a certain type of kayak to fish from? One more thing, there,s a 400yd kayak fishing limit around the above mentioned areas ;D

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sounds interesting doesn't it Ray. I can just see you and Kelpster being dragged around the headland at Flamborough by a huge tope.

Or maybe a 175 pound Skate like this guy

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=67795&st=0

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

;D ;D you,ve just planted an image in my head now, a Benny Hill type image ;D . But then I went all serious and started thinking about the rush you,d get if you did get one :eek:

6. Baramundi Bob

Well looking at that article on Anglersnet shows just what is possible Ray.

;D ;D

They look exciting but a touch expensive.

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

and a tad dodgy, although theres a couple of north easterners who do it alot , ideal for sunny days flat sea ,but still a no go for me like...

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I bet it,s brilliant when conditions are right, I can,t stop thinking about it now my heads gone into turbo fishing mode :p

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

If you go on anglers net ramrod, there have a kayak section ,were all the yakers post , also i think your talking around 500 pound for a good yak , but by the time you get proper hooked youl be after fish finders , life belts etc etc , £ £ £
    does sound good though ,, even for macky spinning ...
    But you dont want to go to the other side el ramrod....

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The powers of the other side are strong at the minute Dav :-[ You,re right I would get sucked in and end up going the full hog with the gear. I,ve added that site to my favorites though and I,ll have a look when I,ve settled down a bit. I think I would enjoy the kayaking more than the fishing side of it.

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

contemplated it me self ramrod , but thats all i did ,,, i do to many different types of fishing to be able to put all my effort and money into a kayak that u actually sit on top of instead of in ,, ;D.......... very dodgy for me lol

12. quint

this is how i got into kayaking - when summer rock fishing was always thinking how could i get to that outlying scar (cornelian, gristhorpe) - was even thinking of swimming with wetsuit - thought canoe so bought canoe mag - advert for robinhood sports in leeds, phoned and talked about range, went over and bought one 450 pounds with pfd and paddle thrown in - nervous at start but soon got more confident, easy to get to scars - how would it cope in tide? piece of cake - out came boat rod and small jigger - wham - cod bashing, pretty exciting in 35 foot 20lb class with braid - got onto kayak sites as completely "sucked in" bought bigger and faster one - what you need is 500 for kayak, 30 for pfd, 75 for sonar, 70 for vhf, 100 for gps, 10 for flares, you must also dress for water not air, ei wetsuit - no harbour fees, no engine probs, very low maintenance, can launch anywhere in country, anytime of tide - you'd be suprised how they can handle a lively sea, but yes a flat sea is better just as any boat - just try setting off at dawn when the seas like a mirror and chase pollack along the edges with a toby - or when a 15lb cod pulls your kayak against a tide - the only other thing you need is a filleting knife as its hard getting your catch up the cliffs when whole - i've 2 kayaks if anyone wants a bash when the sea clears please let me know - i'm sure you'd love it

cheers quint

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

i would love to try it like ,but very nervous ..of them but thats a great offer for a local to try ,RAMRODD...

14. Baramundi Bob

Seems there is a Kayaker 's meet at Whitby this weekend.

see:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=74058

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Your,e on the ball! I p.m.ed quint a couple of days ago and he has kindly offered to meet me and show me the ropes. I think I could really get into it.

16. Baramundi Bob

Been thinking about it for a while ray. Probably couldn't justify spending the money for the amount of times I would do it though.

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I could use it to get to my marks over high water at Bempton in the Filey fishing festival ;D

18. Baramundi Bob

How long did it take to paddle there from wherever you lunched Quint ?

19. quint

Launched from reighton it took about 1 hour to get to bempton but this was in a small 10 foot yak, the other which is 15 foot is much quicker also I was not trying too hard, you could probably do it in 45 minutes - but still its good exercise

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

Been thinking of running a boat taxi Ray,£10 a man ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D