1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check Those Ropes

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

After hearing of a forum member swinging like a pendulem on the end of a rope at Hawsker :scare: :scare:, time for a timely reminder to check those ropes before you go down them

2. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hope they are ok,

Feel a bit guilty , on sat 16th Nov, when walking from RHB to Whitby

ropes at bay ness etc up to hawsker were all looking ok , but one

at hawsker (past seat) appeared to be missing, along with spike,

forgot to mention it on here , thought it might be being renewed for whitby open etc.

nightmare for anyone experiencing what has happened.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Totally agree Glenn , in some cases new anchorages may be required a trip to your scrap yard would secure a piece of angle iron or bar

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Rob and I have been down Hawsker twice in the past week ......yesterday the most recent.......we were saying how the ropes really are in need of some upgrading....summertime and when the cliffs have dried out being the time I think. We ve got some good ropes set aside so will be having a look after winter unless someone beats us to it. :wink:

At the moment the cliffs are very very wet and seem very unstable in places...there have been some massive slips of land between Iron Springs and Green springs. Plus parts of the traverse at the top of the descent is all but fallen away and cracks appearing so no doubt some more will slip away.

It is a descent that has always been relatively easy compared to some but I had a feeling of being very exposed this time round and wasn't hanging about on any of the sections that appeared loose. There has been a slip just prior to the steep ropes before the ladder and parts had moved between our visits this week.

Be careful lads......have a safe winter . :cool:

5. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ive started putting my own in, was wondering if you needed an apprentice alan as i love my cliff fishing :wink:

6. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Dread to think wot there like at red shale boulby, there was a few large slips a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't had a look since, think me n mozzer cud be v busy come summer :angry: :laugh: :angry:

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The middle rope top anchorage is as sound as a pound , I put it in nearly thirty years ago when I was driving it in it came up against ironstone itn was a hell of a job to get it in , but its going nowhere , the anchorages on the first rope are always worth checking as its mainly shale and clay they are in