1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Kayak Anchors ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So what are people using for anchors ? The anglers afloat site recommends purchasing a real anchor but I dont fancy leaving one of them in the kelp when it gets stuck. What are people using ? pictures would be appreciate so I can get my head around any ideas

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

This is the sort of design you want for fishing over rock - the wires bend out easy when given some pull, also the tie wrap trips if you find yourself snagged so you can get a better angle, materials are 4 or 5 inch of 1" pipe, 3 foot chain, 2 lengths of wire, a small shackle and some lead - bend the wire in the middle and put them into the pipe, pour the moulten lead in and the rest is there to see - if you are fishing over sand you really need a different type that digs into the sand, you can get these at chandler shops as they are used for jet skis I believe - remember as Spawney Bass says it is important to have a 3 to 1 ratio when anchouring, for example in 10 foot you will need 30 foot of cord, the chain helps keep the anchor cord at the right angle, this should then hold you no problem, but getting it out is another matter :surprise:, anchouring is one of the most difficult parts of kayaking and I am in no real position to explain with any confidence I just know what works best for me, maybe Dorado will give some input, but never try to pull up in a strong tide if you are unsure, it would be best to leave it until the main force has eased

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I had a baptism of fire with anchoring in a big tide and heavy swell with too short anchor rope.
    Since then I have made sure my rope is as thin as i can get away with so it suffers less from the pull of the tide.i use builders level line from b&q 265ft for £3.
    As advised by Dave also let out 3 times the depth.I ve also found anchoring stern into the tide causes more problems and in the big tides last weekend always anchored fore into the tide then paddling uptide to aid the retreive is much easier than trying to swing it round.
    The tip about a float is probably the best tip as the anchor can be dumped and then you can at least paddle and have a go at a second retreive without being fastened to the line.
    Not really bthered with mush static fishing over the rock though usually leave it to drift fishing.

4. newdave

newdave Guest

Ok this is how i do it, its not the way i have seen most people rig an anchor but it works for me, is safe & i have not lost or failed to recover an anchor yet

anchor trolley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all i use is a pulley at either end, & a loop of rope with a loop in it to attach anchor or drouge to, in addition i use a small length of bungee with a quick release carabiner for attachment. even the pulleys are a luxury as you could just run the rope through the eyes :yes:

my anchor rig
    [​IMG]
    this is the complete rig, if you like me purchased one of these, i would recommend you take all the rope off & use it for a garden line to keep your carrots in a line or similar :yes: they need two hands to operate and are just to fiddely.
    [​IMG]
    the cordage i use is 2mm, forgot the strength but, believe me you wont break it :no: you need 3 times the water depth & i have worked out that i almost never anchor in more than 60ft so 200 - 250ft is fine, if you have more line out you are even less likley to trip the anchor.
    i have two anchors, the fancy job is for fine ground(sand) and is 1.5kg, i think they make one at .7kg which would probably be OK
    [​IMG]
    for rough ground i make my own from scrap, the idea was that i make a few and loose the odd one, but so far i am still using the first
    [​IMG]
    notice both anchors are tied to the bottom & secured to the shank with very cheap tie wraps that can be broken away if the anchor is fast.
    [​IMG]
    in order to prevent slamming i have a pellet which i clip onto the line about 20ft from the end then attach the next loop to the clip on my trolley
    [​IMG]
    that leaves about 8ft of line to the float that i wind the line onto, that is just left sitting on the yak, if i need to release quickly i just pull the quick release and float away. picking up again should be easy.

Anchor deployment

get up tide of were you want to fish, lower anchor to bottom the just pay out your line quicker than you are drifting back, clip on bouy if you are using one, clip on end loop to your trolley & move it to bow or stern whichever you prefer. maneuverer kayak to correct heading with paddle if its not already & check that the anchor is holding.

Recovery

I get the float that i coil the line onto on my lap and paddle well uptide to get slack, unclip from trolley & wrap the slack onto your floatblock keep taking in line and paddling as required so you are not fighting the tide,i have a clear mark on my line at 60ft so i know when the anchor is ready to pick off bottom, try to keep head to weather/ tide & a good pull usually releases, if you cant release either chuck the lot over and wait for less tide or cut it.

not say this is the only or best way to do it, but it works for me, the gear is relatively cheap, i have not lost an anchor or tipped myself up

:happy: :happy: