1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing Grey Ghosts

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by brian carragher, May 23, 2017.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Works been a bit manic lately, with a fairly big job needing bringing to an end, 14 hour and 16 hour days being the norm for most days with some days doing 18 or 19 hour shifts

Not been a lot of time for fishing as sleeps been more important and weekends off have been spent catching up on a few zz's

Slowing down now so had a little look around before getting out the rods and I've been trying to see if I can spot any mullet , been looking hard for a few days and now have a bit of time and my rods with me

Spent a few hours yesterday fishing a little spot that I thought might work, never managed to get to the tackle shop for bait before it shut so off to Asda to buy 3 loaves of white bread and see what happens

Took a bucket and some rope as tonight was going to be a bread mash and bread flake attack and see what happens

Got a few funny looks of some folk who obviously thought I was nuts because I'm using a 13ft freshwater match rod with 4lb mainline tied to a size 14 hook on a 2.6lb hooklength, float was a crystal avon rated at 4AA

Fishing among the weed and about 8ft deep I flogged a dead horse for ages, then I spotted a load of big shrimps eating the bread on the weed top and a load of small sandeels

A big shoal of very small mullet showed but too small to target and then a bit of a moment

3 or 4 big white flashs moving at one hellova rate zooming through the bread mash, fingers crossed, looks like 2 or 3 hours of patient baiting with mash was starting to work

Little dip of the float was encouraging and then I had a big sailaway bite that seemed impossible to miss but I did, at least theyre there

Another big sailaway and this time I connected, a cracking fish of about 2.5/3lb and as fit as, proper scrappers are mullet on light tackle and a real challenge to catch

copy1.jpg

This next one shows the markings better

copy2.jpg

And that was it, despite trying for another couple of hours, catching that one spooked the shoal, couldnt get it out of the feeding zone quick enough and the rest went, did have another mullet follow my hooked one in though, stayed with it until almost netting time but that was it, had another recce somewhere else and saw a couple of mullet so again encouraging and another spot to have a go at when I get the tides right

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Good report Bri and well done on the catch. Takes a lot of skill to target mullet so that's me ruled out:(

3. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Well done, I've caught a few on holidays to Spain using mashed bread (French stick) and flake, but never caught one here. I know they are in the Tees, but I've never seen any.:(
    Where about are you?

4. robq

robq Rockling

well done Brian :) A northeast mullet is a big achievement !! Nice report

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great result, very well done for perseverance.

Its a species I've yet to tick off, but to do it in the North East would be special.

Thanks for the report too.

6. basha

basha Blenny

grt catch bri......did they have youpulling your hair out in frustration.
    scotland in 5 wks should nail a few myself.
    good dangling fella.

rod tripod still here aswell if you still want it bri.

7. brian carragher

There are mullet in the Tees, but this isnt one of them, wish it was but that might have to wait for another day, plenty off Redcar too around the scaurs , real big fish too, had them over 4.5lb some 30 odd years ago when we used to net, we were told then that there wasnt any mullet or bass around us be we seemed to get plenty

A Redcar or Tees mullet might be on the agenda when I get a bit more time, got a few places I want to try but thats for another day, got some tope and turbot sessions planned first

8. brian carragher

Just to bring it up to date

Went out again last night and didnt feel too confident as the water looked a tad muckier than its been but I'm fishing anyway

I might not have been confident but the mullet were, seems the mucky water brought them on a bit more

Hooked three last night but never landed any, been feeding up an area on mash and it seems to have brought a few bigger fish in

Got a fish on and lost it after a few pulls and head shakes, had another on that smashed me off, hooklength gone and another that I had on for a fair while before the hookhold gave way, a nice fish of about 4lbs so a bit gutted but thats mullet fishing for you, go too big a hook on fine gear and you dont get a hookhold, too heavy a end gear and you dont get the bites so its a bit of a compramise

Not deterred as it shows I'm doing something right, fishing flake over a good bed of mash seems to be working

Back on the water this morning for 6.40am ready for the morning high tide

Fishing the same using my avon and among the weed , you could use a chubber or loafer float but the avon seems to hold the bread up well when the baits wafting about underwater among the weed

This is the bait and mash

copy3.jpg

Back on the water this morning for 6.40am to catch the morning tide

Second run through and float shoots under and I connect

Proper fishing this is, big fish on and light gear and proper powerful runs with the reel singing and the fish stripping line off just for fun, stepped up to fish 4lb straight through as last night brought some bigger fish in and this is one of them

Not sure whos going to win this one, me or the fish, its that close and finely balanced, 13ft matchrod and 4lb line against a big mullet and its having non of it

Real result this, after a good scrap and a fair time getting it in close, I've got it in the net

Result, 4.5lb of fighting fit mullet

copy4.jpg

copy6.jpg

Sorry if I look a bit smug but that gave me a real buzz, well chuffed with that

9. basha

basha Blenny

splendid examples them bri.
    grt fishing matey.

10. brian carragher

Cheers Mark, you know where I'll be tonight

And thats a yes to the tripod, give you a shout in a few days

11. basha

basha Blenny

12. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

caught quite a few when fishing on the west coast but always put them back, but when on holiday abroad always keep a few for the pan they are a very, very, very tasty fish. Infuriating at times though.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Bri. I used to fish over the north side of the Tees for mullet, but they seem to have dispersed over the last few years. Maybe, some ground baiting and some Carragher patience might get them showing up again.

14. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done and rewarded with your effort good report

15. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Brian,I have been three times in the tees with my fly rod but never saw any mullet ,I will keep trying any idea where I should try
    Chris

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

I'm seriously impressed with Brian's mullet. (Fish not hairdo).

I've seen plenty of them when I've been abroad, or 'darn sarf', but doorstep catches like this really are pretty cool in my opinion.

17. cryo

cryo Blenny

I've seen some absolute Stonkers around the south gare especially in mackerel season when all the guts are thrown in. People don't notice them as they generally show up at dusk or early morning very close in to the wall I'd estimate some of them at easily 3lb+ bracket. There used to be an old guy/fisherman from Eston called Alan Clarke who first pointed them out to me and I've noticed them a few times since in the area at the end of the Riverside wall.

Ken.

18. basha

basha Blenny

there was a cracking wrasse caught of the river side down the gare yesterday.thats 2 x 3lb plus wrasse in a week ive seen caught.called down this morn on the spinner for a few hours,tried my luck bugger all apart from 2 small coalies which hung themselves close in before my retrieve to pull spinner out hit me rite close in.

thinking of keeping the fish alive from scotland and restocking the north sea lol.

19. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

mullet tips

Well done bri,

above link to old topic on our mullet attempts, info etc.

hope to see you soon out huntcliff, get that job finished.

20. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

best report I've read on here for months... Fished for Mullet on the odd occasion abroad, they drove me mad in Menorca for a few weeks... Never had one the size of yours so hats off to ya!
    I remember scaling down to a size 18 hook with a fragile hooklink and the tiniest piece of crust just to hit bites...
    Bet they don't arf go on a fly rod