1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter prices

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigbob1, Jan 18, 2015.

1. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was asked a question the other day that I couldn't answer so here goes .the question was.with the price of fuel dropping massively over the last few months will the price of a days fishing on a charter boat be reduced accordinley .or will it remain the same .thanks g

2. g8bvl

g8bvl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As they didn't rise over the last few years when the fiel price went through the roof, I would imagine not

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I know a lot of skippers took a massive hit with fuel prices almost doubling they hardly increased their costs. So very unlikely. How much do you spend each year on your charter trips Bigbob ?? And which skippers do you use ?

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Your not paying for the fuel your paying for the ability of the skipper to give you a good days fishing

5. spruce

spruce Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

So if I catch nothing.............

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You need to re-evaluate your value system. One of the main reason I wont step on a charter boat these days is its full of people with the poor set of value's around angling.

7. spruce

Reply was tongue in cheek.

8. g8bvl

g8bvl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

With the knowlegde, freely available help around you, if you can't get among em, its a sign, find another hobby.

9. spruce

As I posted earlier, it was tongue in cheek. Sorry if it went over your heads. After 50+ years of angling, in many forms, I don't need advice from anybody who
    A : Has stated on this forum that he is prepared to kill every bass he catches

B: Or any of his sycophants.

Tight lines!

10. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

I think reading bigbobs thread it was about a question someone had asked him and he posted it, bigbob as a lot will be aware runs his own boat, that said he/we use charters all over the uk, last year we along with a few others spent £4500 on one four day trip. We've also spent the winter months up tiding on "angelus" in the Humber. It's been a great winter in the river with loads of cod!we drop on the whitby charters even though we're boat owners during festival week from time to time and one of our number fishes out of whitby all year round. We are a bunch of fish addicts, we go to Norway every year and in our regular meeting spot are often talking about all things fishing including the cost of fuel. I think something worth a mention in support of the charter skippers running cost fuel is only a small part of running a boat, there are things like insurance, maintenance, to name a couple and let's not forget the weather and the impact it has! Whitby probably has the best charter fleet around, some great boats and skippers, evidence is clear to see with boats getting booked a long way in advance like all good boats! You've got it about right were it's currently at, let's hope the cost of fuel comes down for all of us we've got some wrecks a long way off we want to do!

Chow for now, Dave

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I'd rather pay someone double who has the experience to put me on fish either inshore or at anchor than pay less to a less experienced skipper that's gonna take me all over the north Sea for a day.

The way I see it is the further off you go, the less fishing time you have.

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Another angle on this, why is it still the full price for a days uptiding when you are only steaming a couple of miles up the coast to sandsend or RHB?

Not that i would do it myself, a dozen codlings around the 2lb mark just doesn't float my boat.

13. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

And then Anchoring up.......Got to admit I wondered that myself !

Roger.

14. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thought charter boats run on red diesel??
    I know the charter lads work their socks for a living and I certainly wouldn't expect them to drop the price of their charters ,just think what these guys do every day full day working at sea and cleaning everything down when most have gone home, just my opinion

15. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i fish on a boat very well known northumberland £25 A day bait fishing forty years experience I can't justify giving £40 just because it's whitby

16. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got my answer .been out charter boat fishing nearly every weekend this winter in the river Humber from Grimsby only called off once due to severe weather booked the full boat £43.00 each 13 hour trips .£55.00 each person if you book it by yourself .or book the full boat for £500 .so I just booked the full boat as dave said angelenus ..I think that's how you spell it .nice boat comfy and coffe and tea all day .thanks for the replies

17. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Smokey it isn't full price Uptiding mate it's less it I love these people who look around to save a penny there is one thing in this life you get exactly what you pay for you pay peanuts you get monkeys if the first words on the phone are how much is it I say you are on the wrong boat .
    As for prices dropping because of fuel going down nobody in whitby fleet for the last few years increased there prices when fuel was going through the roof so a sudden drop levels itself all the lads I know who charging around £50 mark work there balls off to get the lads fish not sat in the wheelhouse reading paper big engines big bills and is what most lads who step on a charterboat forget my engine gearbox refit cost £30,000 fuel is not the only running cost of a charterboat maintainance costs and wear and tear the marine environment can take its toll .

Paul

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

I wasn't having a dig paul i was just curious thats all ;)
    I know what it costs to run a boat I've been potting the last 5 years, big engines use lots of cherry,but not so much when plodding around at 9-10 knots :D

If diesel price is hammering you why not consider a cat with twin outboards? Petrol is much much cheaper with the duty and vat back and they are far more economical at higher speeds, twin 75hp outboards at 18 - 20 knots on a cat cost about £1 a mile per engine before claiming anything back ;)

19. simon22

simon22 Rockling

For me 50/55 quid is cheep day out. Could spend that in the pub in a few hours. For the price you get a day out, 20 odd years of experience and most of the time you learn a few things along the way. I have never not had a catch on a whitby charter boat, I have driven from stockport for a shore trip paid money for bait food and so and so and gone home fish less . I am aware this is down to me but for 50 quid I can expect to take fish home if I wish. Yes if uptiding I still need to get bait and stuff but that bait is not a waste of money as I am going to catch. Fuel going down in price means I can get over more as this makes a day cheeper for me.

20. Libbyfishing Whitby

Libbyfishing Whitby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well said BigCod, totally agree.