1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing Charter Fishing and Bag Limits

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Which Would You Favour ??

1. Filling Your Freezer

2. The Overall Experience - Fun, Envioronment, Wildlife And Fishing

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The majority of my fishing is uptiding on the Humber.
    After seeing how much is wasted on a thornback Ray when the wings are taken I now return them all. If I fancy eating 'skate' I buy it.
    Last year, I caught a bass around 6lbs. On gutting it she was full of eggs which put a bit of a downer on catching her. ( tasted bloody lovely).
    Did a bit of research & it says that just about all bass over 5lbs are female, also a 3lb fish had a chance to breed a couple of times so was going to limited myself to only take 2 fish (one for me one for my dad) between these weights (not caught one since!!).
    I return all the whiting I catch. Or ask if anybody wants it, if it is a good size.
    I return all the hounds I catch.
    I take 3 or 4 cod home, The rest are returned or given away to other boat members.

Not that bothered about the amount I catch. Just like been out there for the day.

Normally get up to Whitby once a year on the chieftain. For a 5/4 day trip.
    The main reason is to try & get my first 30lber ( hoping for a cod & a ling)
    Also to fill my freezer, my Dads freezer & my mums. Also to give a fair few fillets to the farmers & gamekeepers I know as a thank you for letting me onto there land/woods.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

[​IMG]

Or

Overall Enjoyment

overall enjoyment, learning ,every time.

been out & seeing how the day pans out.

and providing medium ? for photographers,

limits don't come into enjoyment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iank

Iank Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glenn,
    Thanks for the reply and yes, if it doesn't step on anyone's toes I'd like to do that. I think you've got a cracking site and often look in but as I don't know much about the fishing on your side I feel that there's not a lot I can contribute so it would be good to put something on from time to time.

As I said before the fishing out of Liverpool is quite different to that from Whitby. Firstly we are restricted by tides and most boats don't fish the bigger springs because the flow in the river and estuary is just too strong. Secondly it is a lot more seasonal with species that just show for a few months each year. We are now just at the change over from summer to winter, loosing the summer fish and waiting for the arrival of the winter cod which should be anytime soon. What that means is there won't be any reports immediately as we are coming up to some pretty big tides.

Also being technically challenged I don't know how to put pictures on your site but I'll try to work it out. I'm restricted to using an iPad and it's easy on the Wirral site as it uses tapatalk which even I can work out but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.
    Cheers, Ian.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

There is only so much fish you can eat or give away....I don t charter fish very often but the one thing I try to forget quickly in the past has been the effort to fillet all the fish I have taken and then wondering how good it will be after being sat in a fish box under the daytime sun ! The days laughs and gaffs hold more memories....same with my fishing in general....I m even questioning wheter I am club fishing again.....I just enjoy the experiences more than the weight these days ! Maybe once you find out you can catch a fish your focus changes ? That's not intended to sound big headed....but there IS MORE to fishing than numbers .

• Like Like x 3
  5. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Im not sure what changed in me. But Im now an opposite to what I was 10 years ago. Id rather see a Dolphin than catch a fish. Strange how your outlook alters over time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rupert

rupert Blenny

Some well thought out responses from others there.

What I think also needs to be factored in to the equation is how new some boat anglers may be to the experience. These views are not aimed at boat anglers per se, but I think all anglers, whether its coarse, game or sea, transgress through four stages;-

1/ Catch a fish.

2/ Catch as many as possible.

3/ Catch the biggest fish.

4/ Achieved 1,2 and 3 and help and encourage others to do the same, whilst still enjoying their own fishing at whatever level gives them pleasure.

Whilst newcomers to the sport are usually on stage 1 and 2, I think we need to cut them a bit of slack, because I'm sure we've all been there. I know I certainly have at that stage and knocked everything on the head I thought was worth keeping, just to prove I'd done it!

Given time, I think most of us mature and see the bigger picture on the fish stocks front. At the end of the day, fishing is a 'hunter gatherer' experience, but I would encourage the sustainability train of thought to be encouraged more, as I'm not sure I got it right in my early days at sea.

A lot of the shark species I now target can't be landed anyway, so a good photo of these species is all we need as a memoire of the day. As a bye catch, if we keep a small number of more modest edible species samples for the table, that's really a secondary bonus.

From time to time, I do have an inshore cod or Pollack mission, but I am definitely more restrained than I used to be!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

I think thats theory makes a lot of sense Rupert.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Don't get me wrong. I travel 190 miles to fish in whitby. I love getting fish for the frezer to bring home for the pot. However. I don't plan to catch loads and lets face it 6 cod keeps u in fish for a while

9. Shad-Mad

Shad-Mad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have very mixed feeling on this. I grew up in a fishing family. My uncle was a charter skipper in Hartlepool and we jigged for the boat everyday that we didn't have a party onboard during the summer and we ran a few gill nets and the odd long line in the winter. I never had a problem with keeping fish, on occasion LOTS of fish. The one thing I had and have a massive problem with is fish going to waste. People keeping them for the sake of it and you knowing that they will never be eaten. To that end I used to fillet the catch of the entire party to try and make sure the full catch was eaten.

Times have changed though. After a 18 year gap I started fishing again last year and on the kayak and from the shore I now put the vast majority of my fish back. I am very careful how I remove the hooks too. I get out on charter boats about once a month and I have to admit I feel more comfortable keeping fish from the boat BUT I still put a LOT back only keeping the fish I want for the table. I think it's fair to say I always put back more than anybody else on the boat but having said that I'm normally amongst the top rods too so perhaps I can afford to?

I would still go out on a charter boat if there was a bag limit but the limit would have to be sensible at say 6-8 fish? Having said what happens when I have selected my 6 or 8 fish for the table and then the next fish comes up gut hooked or with the swim bladder blown? I would have a big ethical problem with chucking that fish back over the side knowing I had killed it for nothing. How do you police that? Do you make the limit voluntery? I know if I went out on the boat and was repeatedly forced to chuck back dead fish it would sour the experience for me and ultimately I would stop going.

So in conclusion I think a bag limit is a good idea to stop the excesses but it would have to be implemented carefully. We need a change of attitude more than a limit I guess?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Coarse fished for 37 years, catch and release is no problem to me!