1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing Charter Fishing and Bag Limits

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Which Would You Favour ??

1. Filling Your Freezer

2. The Overall Experience - Fun, Envioronment, Wildlife And Fishing

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

There was a time where I could never envisage going fishing and not keeping my fish. As Ive got older my outlook on angling has changed significantly, in-fact now my enjoyment of a days angling is more about the environment and time spent with friends rather than being based on how many fish you've caught.

In recent times some of the best days fishing for me have involved catching very few fish at all, but seeing Whales and Dolphins, and Eagles have been worth more enjoyment and satisfaction than any amount of dead fish in a bag could ever bring me.

Myself and Dan were talking this morning about Charter Fishing and how it would survive Bag Limits. We both came to the conclusion that anglers would be happy with a good day out regardless of how many fish they took home afterwards.

I have certainly given it some thought and I would say if I could book any charter Boat In the Whole Country, after my good friend Paul Kilpatrick, I would book Gethyn Owen in Wales.

Why you may ask ?? Well having followed him online for some considerable time now I am convinced that fish or no fish I would enjoy my time onbaord his boat over most others, for the simple reason he makes it a very special day out for all his customers, and his ability to make you laugh would be a big factor in my choice.

So whats your thoughts on Charter fishing, What are you looking for in a good days boat fishing ??

Please take the poll above and give your thoughts in replies. You will need to vote to be able to see the current poll results

• Like Like x 1
  2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nothing beats launching on a early morning sun rise

perfect conditions, safely away, anticipation better than the real thing (sometimes)

like winning the lottery every day out.

keep what you want for table, bait (mackerel)

just my observation of small boat fishing, party boats must be as good with good crew etc.

a bit spoiled when you have your own boat ,call it a day when you like.

respect for commercial skippers time/effort/etc.

will limits come ? don't set any as common sense will prevail

trying for other species during trip may overcome possible limits etc.

3. Glenn Kilpatrick

The question wasn't really about your approval or disapproval of a bag limit, but about what is most important to you in a days fishing. If you wernt allowed to keep any fish, or you were limited would that mean you stopped going ?

Basically

Catching

Or

Overall Enjoyment

4. glassback

glassback Blenny

i,m same as you now glen ,i just enjoy the day
    and like to see the fish swim back away
    for another day .even when i used to bait fish if i was pleasure fishing every fish went back .
    ive put a couple of ten pound cod back when club fishing to .
    just couldnt bring myself to take them
    future breeders .
    i get far more enjoyment out of that
    i dont like to see pics of loads of dead fish no matter what species they are .

• Like Like x 1
  5. robq

robq Rockling

I approve of SENSIBLE bag limits. i often give my fish away after a day out with killer. I fish pure
    Y for the sport and the experience bag limits provided the commercial sector are being as closely policed, including the bloody scallop dredgers :mad:

More often tuan npt

6. robq

robq Rockling

Bloody tablet on this forum can't see what your typing:mad:

7. robq

robq Rockling

Bloody tablet on this forum can't see what your typing:mad:

8. Glenn Kilpatrick

Did you upgrade your android and Browser to the latest versions ?? If so let me know what versions your on Rob and Ill follow it up.

9. Glenn Kilpatrick

I maybe should have mentioned Bag Limits as everyone gets caught up in that debate and brings commercial fishing into it. That misses the essence of the original question really. Not sure how best to phrase it, but What I'm driving at is, asking if its about the fish or the day out ?

10. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

I am looking for an enjoyable day charter fishing more than anything else, but part of that enjoyment is taking a few fish home, i really enjoy cooking and eating my catch and i always bring fish home, but there has been occasions when i have agreed to come back early when we have enough fish.

I wouldn't have a problem with bag limits if they where sensible and the commercials where policed correctly, if a no take policy was ever introduced then i have to be honest, i may still have the odd trip but not as many and i believe not many Charter Skippers would survive such a thing.

11. Glenn Kilpatrick

The poll results look very interesting. Although sad that only 6 or the dozens of readers bothered to vote.

12. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Think the new site layout may have something to do with the low response rate Glenn. Site used to have me logged in constantly now you have to log in every time and the poll isn't as visible without being logged in, plus, we aren't really used to polls. I appreciate your original post ends with a call to vote but I missed it 1st time around, was it always there? It sort of blends in with the ads. Changing the colour / font / border may help? Just my 2p

Not a regular on the charters by any means but I do take fish regularly and there is something about bringing home something for the table. That said if we set sensible limits I am certain there wouldn't be an issue. As with most things a little common sense goes a long way. If you had a good day out with something to show for it (if you choose to take anything) isn't that enough to satisfy everyone??

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

What I look for in a days boat fishing is

1/ Safety and comfort. Being bounced around and getting wet through in a big sea isn't much fun. As a pal once said to me "Better to be on land and wishing you were at sea, than being at sea and wishing you were on land". If you can catch the forecast right, a boat on a smooth sea can be a real suntrap and there's no better place to be. I often remind myself that I need not venture elsewhere in the world, when the Yorkshire sunshine smiles on us.

2/ Good company/craic. If your spending a day with other people I like to be with people you can at least have a good laugh with. I enjoy and choose the company of glass 'half full' types!

3/I would be lying, if I said that catching fish is not high up on my agenda. I enjoy a challenge of really big fish. Many times my mission fails, but when it comes good, you feel on top of the world. When we're out in my little boat, I get a lot of pleasure seeing my friends catch, even if I don't. Helping someone catch a notable fish and putting a grin on their face is priceless. If I can capture that grin on camera, then so much the better!

4/On the subject of retaining fish, I have no problem retaining a few for culinary use, but I hate to see good fish go to mushy waste, by anglers letting them cooking on the deck in the heat of the summer sunshine. Far better to release the surplus for another day and on busy days, leave it as late in the day as you dare, before taking what you want for the kitchen.

5/ I like to try something different. That way, I come away learning something, even if it's "That didn't work, so I won't bother with that idea again!". I also like to share my experiences, good or bad, with other like minded anglers.

6/ Whilst catching fish is my focus, as Glenn states, a boat can take you to alongside some stunning coastline with prolific birdlife. One chap I take, gets very excited whenever we are around Flamborough/Bempton. The sight of a Sooty Shearwater means as much to him as a 5lb. bass! Similarly, there are other fascinating fish, whales etc. The leaping salmon and sea trout, and balls of bait fish being harried to the surface. The star show for me was the sunfish near Hornsea wallowing on the surface!

A boat trip always has the potential to surprise in so many dimensions!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Id definitely go with the whole wxperience and not just filling my freezer....
    However i do believe that some fish should be abl to be taken to offset the cost of what is now an expensive if worthwhile experience...so maybe a bag likit is the way forward...maybe even total weight as opposed to number of fish?

Personally i used to be out on charters several times a month .i now aint been fir two years...the cost is just to prohibitive for me.factor in bait tackle fuel and parking on top of cahrter cost andbyou dont get much change outa 100 quid.

That said i do think that the cost of the actual charters are fair and good value...its just the other factors make it prohibitive for me now.

15. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Has to be the whole days fishing experience. you are never guaranteed to fill the freezer for me like. If that was your only reason for going then you wouldn't be going very often.
    Cheers Col.

16. Iank

Iank Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm lucky enough to help out as crew on one of the charters from Liverpool so obviously get to see a wide range of people coming out for a variety of reasons, but for me and most of those I see it's all about the enjoyment of the day. That is also foremost in the skippers philosophy and he works hard to achieve it. one of his aims is to fill the boat with repeat customers as then he's done his job properly as they have obviously enjoyed the previous days.

A lot if our fishing is quite different to yours at Whitby, particularly in summer when we fish for species that won't be taken for the pot. Despite the weather and many trips blown off this summers tope fishing has been excellent with somewhere in the region of fourty fish over 30lb. Double figure Huss and thornbacks are among our regular catches and returns are encouraged. This certainly doesn't seem to deter people and many come out without expecting to take fish home.

In the winter the Mersey fills with cod and the expectations then change. Most like a few fish to take, not many try to fill boxes and some even return their fish. It's the customers choice but it's clear to see that the enjoyment of the day is foremost.

One of our most enjoyable trips for me is a birdwatching/ photography trip where after a lot of feeding we end up with a great variety of sea birds behind the boat and gannets diving for fish about six feet from us. This year the other crewman put a rod out for Tope and had a couple. Those aboard now want a Tope trip as well next year. If fishing offshore during the summer we often see pods of Dolphins, this brightens everyone's day and it's clear to see it's a lasting memory that people take with them.

I don't really know Gethyn and have never fished with him but have bumped into and chatted a couple of times in a particular north wales tackle shop and even then he is a good laugh. I do know a number of lads who go out with him regularly and it is for the exact reasons you give, an enjoyable day out.

If anyone is curious enough to have a read and see which boat, I often put reports on the Wirral sea fishing site under the same name as used here. In fact I've only just finished a report on yesterday's trip with plenty of fish and smiling faces

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For me it's the same weather beach,rock,boat fishing,i fish for fun/pleasure the fresh air the scenery etc,to catch a few fish a long the way is a bonus so to speak(we all hope to catch a few)I just like been out,anything beats sat indoors.

18. Glenn Kilpatrick

Why not post some reports here ?? Im sure our readers would enjoy them. A lot of lads I know like to travel for adecent fishing experience. I know @dan the pollock drove 10 hours to Wales a few weeks ago to go Chartering and said it was one of his best ever days out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Glenn Kilpatrick

Hi mate Im working on this log-in in business, its quite annoying isn't it. Im sure we can sort that out.

The poll is designed so Visitors cant see it, only members. Got to give you regulars some features that the non members don't get. As time goes by I aim to have more on the site that only Members can view.

20. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a very interesting thread.
    Have to admit, I am not a massive fan of boat fishing on a charter. Strikes me as taking much of the skill and challenge out of it, when you are just put on a fish. Bit like hook a duck?
    If it is your own boat/kayak, and you are finding the marks, I get that.
    I dreamed for many years about going Big Game fishing, thinking a big marlin would be top of my bucket list. I did it, and a big marlin hit my rod and immediately came off, and I was rather glad it did. Left me feeling a bit disappointed with it.
    By contrast, chucking lures at a reef from one of the locals little Cobbles was great fun.

Regards catching - I would have to take my shore fishing as basis for my opinion, which is that some of my most memorable days fishing were actually when I blanked, weirdly.
    Like Glen, it was the experience that was the thing that made it special, or the setting.
    Trying for bass off scaurs in Boobies/Constantine bay, in Cornwall, on a magic summers evening.
    Fishing Horseback in still cold, with a clear star filled sky, with full moon glinting off the sea.
    A day fruitlessly trying for bass in Talisker Bay, Skye, in 30*, and up to my waist in water that was warm as the Mediterranean.
    Sure catching a decent fish on those days would have been the icing on the cake, but the lack doesn't soil it.

Regards keeping fish - match angling is a dreadful influence on anglers, I think.
    How many pictures have we all seen of someone surrounded by tens of 2lb cod, just to make a bag of 40lb's to win?
    But we also see many charter guys surrounded by boxes of small cod, and I do wonder why they keep them all. Seems a bit greedy to me?

I liked Andy's post (Glassback) and was reminded of a post on here about two years ago from a lad (forget his name) who had kept a few fish, and then caught a very nice cod (like 15lb's). He had said to himself that he was going to put any other fish back, as he already had enough for his dinner, and he did just that - put it back. Was quite an awesome attitude.

• Like Like x 2