1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

century carbon

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by woody, Dec 5, 2009.

1. woody

woody New Member

has anyone ever experianced carbon expanding on century rods ? i have a century cccld and its a bugger to put together and pull apart i have oiled it and oiled it again it seems as if it worsrns the warmer it is, n vica versa with the cold any ideas ? :crazy:

2. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

My ccc/ld was the same just wash the fitting with hot soapy water you will ned a small wirey brush for the butt section then dry,
    try that woody mine fit perfect now and come`s apart just fine
    shArk

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Don t use oil woody it will start working like a vacuum seal when you try to seperate them. Mine was very similar and like shark says a good clean and now it fits like a glove but doesn t stick.

4. Steve

Steve Rockling

had the same problem on a zippy cant get that together

5. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Yep mine was exactly the same fit's perfect now like jelly say's DONT USE OIL apart from the vaccum, certain mineral oil's can damage the fibre, what i did with mine was put it together twist it a few times then clean it,repeat a few times it will bed in just right, remember they are an interference fit be careful not to spoil it they are to good a rod :yes:

6. baza

baza New Member

i finally had enough of my tt sport not fitting together properly and being a pig to get apart so sanded a very small amount off, now fits nicely and pulls apart as it should, i just took the shiney surface off the spigot seemed to do the trick

7. woody

woody New Member

cheers lads !

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Woody be careful sanding , from a few reviews etc the very tight spigots started or least became more apparent with the start of the stainless collars fitted.My TTR that I had was tight if I kept the rod in the cold of the garage and a snug fit if in the warm of the house. The carbon is very resistant to tempreture and won't expand or contract whereas the stainless collar will so sanding the spigot could result in a loose fit and certainly invalidate any warranty claim.

9. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Just orderd a few bit's from Gerry's,had a chat with one of the lads about this problem, rule 1 never use abrasive material on rod's it also can destroy the fibre's,rule 2 dont use anykind of oil ,the rod's are manufactured that way to allow the rod to bed into the natural position,when seperating the two halves never have the hand's more than 6" apart this can cause perminent damage to the fibres i.e twisting the fibre's any abrasives used could result in the joint having the smallest of cavity although not apperent to the naked eye resulting in the rod smashing under pressure,so i think we had all better take on board what he,s said soapy water is fine to clean the rod oil's can soak into the fibre destroying the material that bonds the fibre's together. :educated:

10. woody

woody New Member

its about 3yrs old dave but i wont be getting the sanding paper out just yet plus mine doesnt have the metal coller that the ttrs n ss ,s have ?

11. baza

baza New Member

mine doesnt have the stainless collar either. i was thinking because i leave it in the garage and its damp this would cause the carbon to swell? it was getting very annoying, there was a 3 inch gap and i would always need two people to seperate it. now the shine has been taken off the spigot it fits much better and comes apart as it should. i was warned about sanding it but what else can you do.

12. woody

woody New Member

i i know what you mean there is only one thing for it bring out the ky !!! :whistle:

13. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Try silicone spray, oil is a no no!

14. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Just wash with HOT soapy water i used the plactic type scouring pad ? for the male part no scratches and a plastic brush for the female just make sure you dry them well, before putting together
    should be fine

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i have not had any problems with my TT-r going together, its kept in the hallway with the rest of my gear, why dont you try the best lube on the planet. just spit on it and that works, i had the the same problem when i got my rt axcellator and it worked and after time i started to fit on its own.

16. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Years ago i was told to just rub spigot fitting joints through your hair, im' nearly 62 now and lucky to have the same amount of hair so it still works for me. The rest of mes' knackersd like!

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick what was ment was stick were the sun dont shine the air on your ring would of slakend the joint off you should be on stage telling jokes crap mind but not bad for a bloke that makes his own dresses tightlines Alain

18. oddjob

oddjob Blenny

had the same trouble with my rod so i mailed century and got this reply....

Hello

Thanks for your email and congratulations on the purchase of a Kompressor.

The joint can sometimes become slightly dirty and it will probably need no more than cleaning and lubricating.

We have some information on our forum about what to do: http://www.century.gb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=522

Kind regards

Simon

Century Composites Ltd,
    58-59 Hutton Close,
    Crowther Industrial Estate,
    Washington,
    Tyne & Wear ,
    NE38 0AH .
    United Kingdom (Registered Office)
    www.century.gb.com

cracking service as i got that mail the day after i mailed them.. i found a cheap bottle brush works a treat. mine was £1.99 from the chemist and after every trip a quick wash and rinse has stopped it sticking.