1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cayton Bay yakking, its a load of Pollocks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Aug 22, 2009.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

Obviously a day for Masochist yakkers, Whilst Quint & Jeremy did the Iron man decent at Cloughton, Myself, Ken & Buzz decided to give Cayton Bay/Gristhorpe a go to try and find some bigger Pollock. parked up at the surf centre at midday and ready to launch at low water,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a fairly long steep path with a set of wooden steps at the bottom, not made any easier by the steady stream of tourists although some of them were kind enough to help an old git get his Kayak down the steps :happy:

[​IMG]
    the water clarity was superb & as soon as we cleared the swimmers Buzz chucked his lure out and had a schoolie within minutes, but todays target was some decent pollock so we spent some time getting fixes on the reef for later then headed off towards Filey :whistle:

mostly I was just enjoying the scenery and my first time yakking around my old hunting grounds, however one 20ft gully between two scaurs looked spot on & i chucked a deep diver over & started to troll, straight away i had a good pollock on that made several strong dives & shook the hook out before i got a look at it :sad:
    so i turned around back over the same ground over went the rod again, another cracking fight & this time i got it aboard (same fish ?) Ken came over & muttered my favourite words "you spawney Bass*a*d :laugh:" took a few photos & weighed it at just a smidgen over 6lb, even spawnier :happy:

soon had another just a bit shy of that at about 5lb, which was slipped back quickly
    [​IMG]
    Ken soon had another 5lber & we went on a bit of a tour , spoke to a couple of chaps fishing on casty & had a trip round the seal colony, there are hundreds of em :surprise:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    meantime Buzz had been battling some monster pollock, one of which managed to bust the new rod that he got from boyes last week, I told him you cant expect much for that money :whatever:
    so the two of us went back to pollocking, ken managed to get smashed by a couple of monsters, I was catching heaps but seemed to have found a smaller sample.
    Ken managed another 5lber & we headed back to Cayton to try for a bass, not much doing on that front although we both snaffled a schoolie late on, all in all a great days fishing, I think i had close to 30 pollock on plugs although mostly they were less than 2lb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    got back ashore just before dark, when the real fun started, for the second time recently ken had left his trolley to the mercy of honest Joe public, who had nicked it :sad:
    so we did 3 trips up the path using my trolley, thats a tough drag :yes:

As a footnote i got a text from Ken, on his way out he spotted a bunch of kids playing skateboards on it under an underpass :laugh:
    fortunately he was to knackered to beat em up so he just thanked em for returning it :whistle:

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done lads,seems as though there are a lot of pollocks around

tightlines

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye great write up Dave, only thing I can add is I'M NOT DOING THAT FLECKIN SLOPE AGAIN - well not this week anyway :hurt:

Heres some more pics of our day, enjoyable but frustrating on losing a couple of big fish, they just take you to ground so damn quick....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of Spawneys fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fish, one 5lb 4 oz, the other just a little smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a couple more of the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to get very drunk now to take away the pain from that slope......

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report Dave, some very good fishing there. I was just talking to Benq last week about fishing Cayton as I figured it would be worth a go to see what the Pollock fishing was like, now I know :cheesy: Hope to get down there myself soon.

5. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks like a good day out lads. nice fish and nice photos. I was wondering if you had thought of using one of those gorilla grips to hold your camera. It would free both hands assuming there is somewhere up front to wrap it round. Ebay does them for about £6.00. You probably already thought of it anyway. all the best

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done lads looks like you had a great day a float catching pollack, shame no one managed a double but by the sounds of it you got smashed by a few better fish which could of been doubles..

Great report and pics as always..

7. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

i had 8 pollack 1 mackeral which was massive and a bass the biggest pollack i landed was about 6lb but the 1 what snapped my rod was in a different league once i got it near to the kayak it went berzerk and it snapped my rod in 2 when we go again iam taking a 15lb boat rod
    cheers ian

8. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads, shame about the lost fish, but you all did well , cracking pictures

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Spawneys right about those pollock, even the seals don't eat them :laugh: I recognise that plug he's using too :cry: The get down isn't too bad and coming up is ok really providing you have a trolley :whistle: or don't have a flatty like the high profile yakker I went with :laugh: Thats serious re- the rod Ian. I know with beachcasters once they've snapped I lose all confidence in them.

10. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report great pics and some cracking fishing

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done lads. I Would love to get out yakking again soon but my backs not up to it. I'm having physio on it once a week so it should be sorted by winter :embarrass:

12. Howard

Howard Blenny

Great report there Dave Who needs the likes of sea angler? I did Bemmo again (for a change) got cod goggles Im afraid the fishin was poor and we only had 2 pollock as a by catch but I bet if we plugged for them they would be all along there.
    Been a lot of really good pollock this year nearly all are been returned and apparently the better fish stay on the same ground all year round not just summer visitors as I thought. Thanks again for pics and write up. H.

13. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Looked like a millpond in a couple of pics there guys. A bit different to North Landing last Weds...!!!

Well done on the trip, don't you just love the way Pollock fight? The one I caught off Filey last month was 6lb 3oz (PB from the yak) and I certainly knew I had that on....

Will try Cayton soon.... Think the next time I'll be up that way though will be the comp next month.

Ian

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

will be good to see you Ian - you really had those pollock on Brigg End sorted, wasn't it 4 in two days?

It was rather blustery during the day and then at some point around 7 o'clock I think it was the wind dropped as if someone had flicked a switch. That slope wasn't very pleasant though. I think I may be looking for an easier launch with a longer paddle if we are to do it again :happy:

15. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

X2 just over the 5lb on the Sat (the ones you weighed for me, ta) and another 2 around the 5lb and the 6lb 3 one. 5 in all. Well Chuffed.

16. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice report guys,there hasn't been that many showing in the boats this year so you have done well.Never tried trolling a plug behind the boat though,maybe it's the way forward.. tight lines

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done dave on a great write up , :yes: :yes: you all found some quality fish out there , sounds like you all did well ,apart from the get up at the end of the day for some less fit people :whistle: abit like myself realy on that score :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i,m sure you will have many more day,s out this summer to get those doubles :yes:

18. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Just ordered a deep down hussy jerk :kiss:

19. newdave

newdave Guest

better look after it Ray, and you might need to get your sounder fixed, any less than 12ft of water & you are snagged :yes: :yes:

20. cps

cps Rockling

that slopes not that bad ken, last time i mended the railings i had my welder geny down there and it weighs 140kgs
    o for got to say i backed the landy down to the botom so i didnt have to walk :laugh: :laugh:
    its not that bad though