1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catching Porbeagle's from the shore?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod2, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Do you think that there is a possibility of catching Porbeagle's from the shore, how great would that be, I ma thinking something along the lines of Filey brigg, then the tide could take your float further out, or places such as that. I have just been looking at the Rod & Line records and it seems as though this is currently a vacant spot (please correct me if I am not though)

Would it be a goer, I ma not going to attemp it myself, but it would be great if it was possible!?!?!

Phil

2. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

i remember when i was younger i used to fish saltburn pier alot for mackrel. one day there was a shark about 5-6ft swimming round the pier legs. so i think they will come close inshore if there is plenty of food for the

3. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

I know they've caught them from the shore in Ireland and reading this article by Mike Thrussell

http://www.worldseafishing.com/boat/her_majesties_porbeagles.html

has given me an idea where there might be some to be had in the UK - I'm thinking of the straits between Ramsey Island and the coast at St Justinians near St Davids in Pembrokeshire. Has anyone on here fished for sharks down that way ?

Has anyone caught one from a yak yet ?

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

It is a possability in the right place Phil,not the brigg though i wouldn't of thought as in all my years boat and shore fishing around that area,i have never seen one,or heard of one being seen.Having said that though,there was a huge thresher shark caught in one of the salmon nets on the bay side of the brigg a couple of years ago, and a couple of very experienced boat anglers (i think franky colling was one of them) have had something very large take a smaller fish when jigging,resulting in either being spooled or parted off... tight lines

5. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To my knowledge there hasnt been one caught off the yaks yet, although it was discussed and I think was attempted down south by dorado and co
    theres no doubt that they are around our coast fairly close in as was proved by bucko and his boat party when they hooked one off staithes last year, I think a determined (and slightly suicidal) yakker would come up with one if they really tried, but i for one wouldnt like to have to deal with one at the side of the kayak.
    as for getting one off the shore....why not, if the foods there then they cant be that far away

6. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I think that it would be fantastic, you can rave about a 15Ib cdling off the rocks, imagine a 150Ib+ shark!

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

In the early 60 s an angler in ireland used to catch them from the shore using a wooden rod and a centre pin reel he was called jack shine
    and used to fish off green island off the coast of County Clare in western island i think he landed them to about 160 lb and lost much bigger ones, his son used to help with the landing of them, he had what looked like a barge pole with a gaff head fixed to it, you can only imagine the battles that took place , i really admired the man, so where to go to catch them , I think Neist point on the Isle of Skye would be a strong possibility, Off Lagvag on the M O G is a possibility i had one right at my feet there many years ago, i hadnt hooked it it was just feeding right
    along side the cliff face, ive also seen quite a few quite close to the shore in the same area, i was once feathering for mackerel for bait when one came right past me i cast out and tried to get some feathers into it, i dont know what the hell i thought i was going to do with it !!! i would
    have taken up water ski,ing , another day me and GJW watched one for a few minutes that wasnt far out, the pentland firth would be another
    possibility, as regards locally fishing for them i think you would need to be very fortunate to get into one, not to say it couldnt be done

8. mww

mww Rockling

Think I mentioned this before, but a mate of mine saw one off the shore at Neist point on Skye, as Big Cliff mentions above, came in for the mackerel heads he was dumping!!

Mart

9. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i have fished dunstanburgh castle during the summer on many occasions and i have twice seen what could be either a shark or a dolphin from high up the cliff... swimming back and forth along the bit of the bay behind the high cliff....i know that the bay can be very productive for macks and coalies during the warmer months so maybe there could be worth a shot... but i been there about 40 or so times and just seen them twice.!!
    good luck in your plans
    cheers
    Paul

10. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

this is something i was talking to the wife about the other week. i was thinking that if i could find somewhere that had the right tide to take a chum line far out to sea there is no reason i can't catch one from the shore

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

During the 1970's down the South Gare one day about 4 sharks appeared in the mackerel shoal and everyone on the jetty agreed they where porbeagles. I've never seen anything like them since.

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

13. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

What a guy, it is possible though!!!!

14. andym

andym Rockling

I also remember seeing two sharks from the pier at saltburn around 1990ish about 5-6ft long whilst mackerel fishing swam through the pier legs! and also remember reading in a saltburn history book about the capture of a porbeagle from the pier a long time ago but think itweighed 44lb I'll try and dig out the details and photo.

Andy

15. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

wouldnt mind a go at that phil im sure ure dad would giv it a go aswell :yes:

16. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I think diversity in fishing is a wonderful thing!! being able to go to marks in the summer at catch different species like Shark would be amazing!

17. MCP

MCP Blenny

A large porbeagle est (8 foot plus) took our mackerel skeletons when cleaning fish on the SW side of Neist point Skye only about a rod length from the rock edge as MWW said in July many years ago. Having caught sharks from the shore in Australia I suggest plenty of fish skeletons, mashed mackerel in an onion bag and fish oil if you can get hold of it and form a big slick to attract them to you and keep the slick going from a deep water rock ledge. Also keep fishing for mackerel etc at the same time as the fish on the line causes vibrations which attract the sharks. A live mackerel works well under a balloon drifted in the slick.

Mick

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A kite might come in handy to get your bait out a long way quite quickly

19. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

i am up in Whitby for three night beginning of September i think i might give it a go
    the sea should be warm just got think of a good venue, technique and tackle :crazy:

anyone fancy a try let me know and we can come up with a plan :crazy:

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Why not ,3 or 4 stone of mackerel to get a proper trail going, a good tidal mark where sharks are known to frequent and a lot of luck and maybe just maybe.........................