1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cart, how do we use it? - Mistress

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Fishy Rich, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Its quite a common question from my anglers.

Cart is generally available in kg blocks or some people will supply it in ready cut sizes literally ready to lash on to you hooks with bait elastic.

I recently made some cart and in my opinion its best to be got in block form so you can decide what sizes it needs to be cut. I cut some into finger size pieces which are great for adding on to other baits as part of a cocktail.
    I also cut some other blocks into complete bait sizes.
    [​IMG]

once cut, i wrap mine in clingfilm, its easier!
    [​IMG]

its then stored in the freezer.

when i come to use i keep it in a thermos flask so it stays frozen all day, its then lashed on frozen and as it defrosts, it fishes.

for small pieces i take it out the clingfilm, for bigger bits i lash it on to the hook, and pierce the clingfilm with either my grip wires off my lead or scissors!

Tight Lines

Rich

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice pics did you use your new phone? :D, does it matter the quality of the cling film or will the cheap stuff do? and do you use the legs/claws meat or are they "disposed of"? :)

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

i have some cheap cling film, but it is a bit naff but still possible to wrap it. the only meat used is the stuff out of the shells. i split my shells with a meat cleaver and let them drain off before using a spoon to take out the coral and meat.

i put mine in a bucket before dividing it into kg trays at home
    [​IMG]

once frozen its ready to take out the trays and either wrap up in clingfilm for storage or dividing into baits and wrapping up

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice work Rich. Looks like its paying off for you too. Not long now till the festival.

5. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

that was top cart that last lot i got, i only got two boxes to top up my stocks, got nigh on 15kg out of two boxes which is absolutely superb. you would look to be getting at best around 5-6kg per box.

just got to work my through 2st of crab claws now!

6. robq

robq Rockling

I've just got over 6kg from a box :) full of coral too that makes it look pretty :D

All ready for the festival :) fingers crossed weather behaves

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I do struggle with cart sometimes. I think I don't prick it enough but saying that sometimes it comes back washed out other times not even if left for same amount of time. Iyo rich what's the optimum prick amount. No rude jokes about pricks please. Lol

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

IF its fishing well take the cling off casting it out on its own no cling film on the fish will be on it before you know it.

paul.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I use mine in finger bandgae whilst its still warm weather, then I use wider mesh that I get from Boyes, wedding veil material, wider mesh than finger bandage but I like the way it keeps the cart together in a heavy sea.

10. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

everybody has their way of using it, i just find it easier in clingfilm. lawsy and me were talking the other day about maybe making in tubes and using dowel to push it through when needed, its a thought for next season that.

11. codfather911

codfather911 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I make it in tubes alot easier just run the tube under hot water for a few seconds and pushes out :)

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Stick with the cling film rich its the best way of doing it, all the methods mentioned above have been tried and tested but invariably most people come back to cling film. A good tip is to whip the cart on with elastic then whip on a big frozen black on in a big u shape down both sides of the cart,it seems to fish longer this way without washing out. I also put a groove about 2 -3mm deep down the length of the bait with some scissors the hook shank lays neatly all the way down the bait then lash it on

13. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Stick with the cling film rich its the best way of doing it

got to agree, but for smaller cart baits I use cheap t bags, just empty tea via a nick in corner

fill with cart & freeze on tray. bag up several for tipping/scratching baits.

the jury is out on"pyriamid" type outfishing square/circular bags.

Rich,

as well as freezing on trays (as pics show) try saving a few of the sausage trays with 6/8

sausages in (the ones with the sausages "laid" in grooves.)

fill to groove top with cart & freeze ,when you need them cut a sausage size

bait out I groove at a time, as martin says cut a type of keyway down the bait

length & lash on after placing hook back into key way

just easier using this as a type of mould for the cart.

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I sometimes use cheese cloth/muslin, and reuse a square for a whole session. Add a mussel or two so you are not completely washed out, and just add to any that isn't.