1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CART BAITS Finger Bandage Vs Armour mesh .... an update.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Dec 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well today was the first session with a few baits in the new...or that should really be new market target...(it's been about in the carp scene for a while now!)...anyway Friday I wrapped a good few cart baits and cart/cocktail baits in the mesh and popped them back in the bait freezer ready for today.

I also took along a selection of finger bandage wrapped cart baits as well as other baits.

The fish didn t seem to want to entertain cart baits from the further north marks as I m sure Lobbers might vouch for and so I can't comment if the mesh baits outfished the finger bandage baits.

However what I can say is that having had a few bites on both finger bandage and the mesh what has concerned me is the very very quick way the armour mesh washed out :sad:........a couple of bites came after the bait had beenout less than 5 mins and the hook came back with empty mesh.......a couple of bites as quick but on finger bandage still had a good amount of cart inside which I would think gives you that second chance of a fish coming back.

At £8.00 a spool for the armour mesh compared to £1.50 with increased release time......for me it's back to finger bandage from now on.......maybe others will like using it but it's not for me after todays little field test.

Cheers Jellyworm

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Re: Armour mesh ....an update.

Some days they will both work Dave but as a bait I,m not too keen on it, it,s too hit and miss for my liking. It's a great optional bait. Don't get me wrong I,ve caught fish on it and so have many others, i've also been outfished by it but it,s not a bait I could rely on. All baits have their day ofcourse, but some have more days than others :wink:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

If conditions are right I use it all the time but only in conjunction with other bait and the cart goes onto that bait I really see it as an attractor, as it soon washes out, but there's no doubt about the pulling power it possess - I prefer using cling film

4. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Finger bandage for me the armour mesh holes are to big once it thaws it will wash straight out.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Is there nothing else cheaper, that would do the same job ?

6. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Normal bandage stuck together with hot melt glue ask seajay if it works lol.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve been experimenting with some bits of net curtains glenn....doesn t have the same stretch but have found some bits that are just slightly tighter mesh than the armour mesh and from Boyes in Hull much much cheaper...watch this space for a report......alternatively do we not have members who are known as Gloria on a weekend who could advice on the mesh size of fishnet tights ?....lol

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I was gonna say net curtains or even that stuff the scaffolders use to cover the big scaffolds.

9. baza

baza New Member

ive put my cart into sausage skins, ive made them 8 inches long, just long enough to fit in a flask. what i do is crack a suitable piece off and wrap it in tights, whip a bit of elastic on to keep the tights closed, then nick the hook through one end and take that over the eye then nick it again and lay it against the hook shank and whip it on. ive found the seepage to be spot theres usually a bit left in and if you have used any other flavourings, ie garlic you can still smell it about the left over bait.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Industrial disposable hair nets was another thought but finding them cheap enough is the problem...maybe Gloria could help again ?....lol

11. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

Get down to Boyes haberdashery, second floor in Brid. All the material they have on the rolls, they have a selection of different Gauzes. think its used for Dress making? Theres all different hole sizes. just buy it by the Square Metre! Hope this Helps its what we use as well as cling film.

12. steveevo

steveevo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

never usd cart b4 but reading and listening to you guys what about the rubber finger poke you put on top of your finger bandage, (like a small johnny) or a big oneto some tiny people!lol. its water proof spill free then you can pierce it to the requirements of spillage just a though :evil:

13. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a thought if you thinking along the lines of fine mesh cloth, what about muslin cloth, the kind you use to strain jam/wine must etc, Ive got a load and its something silly like £1 per metre at boyes

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

having just aquired some cart ,garry told me to wrap it in cling film and lash it on with elastic bait cotton ,then just prick it to let seepage out, i think i will nick a pair of the wifes knee high's see how it works :whistle:

15. cod_dodger

cod_dodger New Member

just an idea i had the other day

how about setting the cart bait slightly with gelatine, maybe this will give the bait a bit more structural strength and help it last a bit longer

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

you could try filling the fingers from latex gloves and puncturing it b4 you cast out...

they are quite cheap for a box of 100.

17. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I know that some of the Brid lads have used geletine another method is breadcrumb to give a bit more body to it ....I ve got some frozen down with breadcrumbs as the geletine needing to be warm put me off in case it causes the precious cart to go off with the heat !

18. dbrown

dbrown Guest

it's just as good in the cling film than it is in the bandage. I usually take a few out so then it softens up abit so then lots of the juices come out quicker.

Dan...

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

That's the best method I believe

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Having played about with various forms of presentation must agree that either cling film or bandage is tops......plus cling film is cheaper easy to prepare and easy to get off the hook.....
    rob came out with a very interesting point on Sunday...he was getting bites then nothing .....using finger bandage...when wound in found a long length of cotton form the bandage....wondered of if they were taking it getting the feel of the cotton and spitting it out ....the long length being a strand caught on their teeth ?

You won t get that from cling film....only a thought but who knows ?