1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch Report Cape Verde Fishing.. Sun Sea and Fish.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Apr 23, 2014.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

CAPE VERDE FISHING

Well its that time of year when the winter cod fishing has tailed off and the summer species seem so far off. Well its a perfect time for a fishing holiday but were do you go??? Well in the last few years I have visited a few of the Islands off the West coast of Africa, called the Cape Verde Islands these islands boast a constant tropical temperature and plenty of sunshine not to mention some fantastic fishing from shore and boat. To say we have just scratched the surface is and understatement how can you possible do everything in such a short time, but believe me we certainly tried...

I was joined by fishing mad father and son Meizyke and Paul from Fleetwood and match angler Stuart Dewhurst from Preston who has had his fair share of big fish from the Gambian coast and and huge Halibut and Cod from Norwegian waters, not to mention lots of match wins in the UK which keeps him up with the best in the Penn League.. Fellow holiday maker Rolf from Dortmund in Germany left his wife at the bar and joined the lads for a few of our fishing trips. Fishing certainly does bring people together and I have made some fantastic friends simply through fishing..

We fished from the shore and caught so many different species it was difficult identify some of them, so many wonderful colour shapes and sizes it is an anglers paradise and you really don't know what you are going to catch next... :D

Here are some pictures from past and present... :)

Getting ready for an evenings fishing..

[​IMG]

Wasn't long before the first fish started hitting the beach..

[​IMG]

Stuart pulls in a nice Cobina or also known as a Grunt..

[​IMG]

Set some gear up for our German friend Rolf and he too was in to the fish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These fish gave a good account of themselves on standard beach gear and even caught a few on the light quiver set up which was awesome..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well after getting bitten off a few times we decided to put on the wire traces and we started to land some good size Moray eels and some small Sharks..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During daylight hours came lots of smaller species including Bream, Bone-Fish and Parrot fish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the lads have a few more pictures to send across to me, will add them when I get them. Well folks if your looking for a a short break with a bit of sunshine and some good fishing I seriously recommend the Cape Verde, Go now before it gets to popular and gets spoilt.. Well I think we all had a smashing time lots of fish, lost some monster's me and Paul both had a fish on for 40 minutes before losing it, we put them down to huge stingrays as they would tear 100yrds of line off the reel before stopping and sitting tight on the bottom, only to move off again as and when they felt like it... But that's fishing..

All the best and Tight-lines.

Gary.

2. Tricky

Tricky Bill and Ben were Fishermen

Brilliant report, excellent pictures, envious is understatement!

3. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb report Gary as usual , looks like you all had some great fishing.

Plenty of different species to keep you occupied.

P.S get saving your pennies,looking at a trip to Oman next year after GT's etc

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Blimey Gary - I bet you need a non fishing holiday to take a rest after pulling that lot in!

The moray eels looked to be a fair size. Do they get much bigger?

5. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wow!
    Nice going.

6. congerball

congerball Blenny

Another great report Gary. I'd sh1t myself if I got a big Moray, evil looking things.

Looks like a beautiful place.

7. limpet

limpet Blenny

great report and snaps, thanks for sharing 8)

8. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report Gary, silly question but who was eating all those fish ?

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hi Dave, The locals, hotel staff, and security all got there fair share of the fish.. They love fish out there with Moray seeming to be there favourite apparently they taste much better than they look.. We still returned most of the fish but kept the deeply hooked ones as the locals are very poor and so grateful for a fish supper...

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Great report Garry, it certaily beats the socks of uk fishing with all that warm weather ,and a multitude of specie,s
    you never know maybee one day i will get there ,

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Love it Gary, cheers for posting the pics mate. Looks cracking out there.

12. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Gary, amazing pictures and fish, i visited Boa Vista a year and a half ago but sadly didn't take any fishing gear with me. Wish I did now, what Island were you staying on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's good, I had visions of you cooking it on a primus on the veranda to save cash ;D its funny how fish you don't expect are prized for eating, the Mexicans loved trigger fish, but they are really difficult to hook, seem to be able to remove bait without getting the hook in there mouths :mad:

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

As usual a first class report. Very well done Gary and co. dream fishing.

15. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Gary, looks a fantastic place, quick question, how is it for stingy or bitey things, midges, sandflies and the like?
    We did Gambia a few years ago, great place, but the biting critters really put the mockers on it, I am allergic to insect bites, as is the wife, and eventually the bites put us both in hospital, for treatment,so we vowed never to return.We looked at Cape Verde, but dont know anybody that has been to ask .

If the critters arent too bad I may put the suggestion to her, my main problem is that bites or stings can induce an anaphylactic shock in me, I ended up in ICU once, and the thought of spending a week in hospital on holiday isnt a happy one. :-\

Roger.

16. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well its not as bad as the Gambia for bites of the insect kind as these are islands somewhat 400 miles in the Atlantic with no natural fresh water it seems to keep the Mosquito's down not saying there is none, as I got a few bites back in March. No need for anti malaria tablets either as Malaria is apparently not present in Cape Verde (SAL) I really dont understand how this is, as there is people living there from West Africa and surely they carry Malaria, so if a Mosquito bites them and then me is that spreading Malaria..? If there is a doctor of Tropical diseases on the forum maybe they can explain... Not sure this has helped you or nor Roger...Sorry.

17. TheNorthSea

TheNorthSea Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report and pictures looks an awesome place.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great report gary , certainly looks a stunning place to wet a line . 8) 8)

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Sorry for the delay in replying Gary , Ive had a poorly laptop and Ive been away for a few days , working well now ! What a superb
    report , a good read , cracking fish , lovely pics , sunshine what more could you wish for , a big well done

20. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

@GJW

I must admit to reading these fantastic cape verde posts and thoroughly enjoying them for the past few years and not posting a reply .

very well done going out there and exploring the awesome angling opportunities ,your posts are inspiring stuff gary .

I have binned the canaries this winter and got her indoors to come for week on sal in santa maria just after new year and if i have half as much success as you i will be made up .

you have given some good advice in your threads about tackle or the lack of it over there as well as bait and so much more.

There seems to be more good advice available all over the net as i dig deeper and the beach and rock angling look superb.

I've not looked forward to going anywhere on a plane in my life and a four hour flight is my limit but for fishing like that ill have a go at a 6 hour one and i'm looking forward to it .. thanks for posting these threads .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1