1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canal kayak - Drop Shot Angling Session

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by seaapprentice, Nov 15, 2012.

1. seaapprentice

seaapprentice New Member

Just a quick report showing what kayak anglers are missing out on by not exploring their local canal waterways.

This is me enjoying my passion freshwater lure angling whilst afloat. I fish on the North West Canal waterways between November & March whilst the boat traffic is almost non-existent.

[​IMG]

Today, I fished two methods; Drop Shot lure angling and a Lobworm presented underneath a bite indicator.
    This first fish was tempted on a small 1.75" Fin-S-Shad V-tailed lure.

[​IMG]

I have been developing my Drop Shot fishing skills throughout the summer whilst fishing for Perch in depths of up to forty foot on Ullswater. However, this was my first session using the Drop Shot technique in the shallow canal waterways.

Although the fishing was difficult today it was the Drop shot that produced my first fish whilst the live Lobworm bait remained biteless.

As what often happens during Winter on canals, barges start to move around from mid morning onwards, peaking just after midday.

[​IMG]

During this period Lobworm usually out fishes lures and today was no different.

A welcome Roach found a Lobworm slowly inched along the top of the canals far irresistible!

[​IMG]

A small 4" Perch followed before a Pike took my Lobworm.

Unfortunately it was a brief encounter as it headed for the deeper water in the boat channel and bit through my 5lb fluorocarbon leader :(. Although Pike can often take a Lobworm presented for Perch & Roach I generally managed to land them, but not today.

[​IMG]

As the water clarity improved by mid afternoon I changed back onto the drop shot method. I explored new fishing grounds that I had not covered on previous trips.
    This new area produced nothing at first whilst fishing small lures on my drop shot rig.

A change to larger 3" & 4" plastic worms and stick baits changed everything. I like many anglers took the easy option and didn't make the effort to swap rigs to a larger hook to accommodate the larger lures now being fished ::).
    This decision was to come back and haunt me later in the session!

Like all types of lure angling a thinking angler usually prevails over an angler who is just going through the motions of casting and retrieving. I slowed my retrieve to almost static, keeping the lures very close to the bottom injecting life into them with iregular twitches. This provoked an instant strike at my lure and a 1lb 1oz Perch was soon gracing my kayak.

Five minutes later another fish was hooked but unfortunately slipped the hook at my waiting landing net. That little voice of doubt regarding my hook size whispered in my head again, I foolishly ignored it!

Sport had slowed, after several casts with no interest showed on my lure I was about to move swims. One last cast produced a very delicate take right underneath my kayak as I was about to lift my drop shot rig out of the water.
    Strike, FISH ON - the fish went berserk hooked at such close quarters. My perfectly set clutch conceded line as my rod cushioned the lunges from this large Perch. Once the fish had taken four or five metres of line and reached the deeper water in the boat channel it settled down. Other than a few lunges at the landing net my new personal best lure caught perch @ 1lb 13oz was safely landed.

[​IMG]

All thoughts of my inappropriate hook size for the 4" lure being fished had vanished from my head after this capture.

I decided to try another new area during my last half hour of fishing, a much wider section of canal with no visible features. However my fish finder revealed some very interesting features within the boat channel. I couldn't resist spending some time fishing them.
    To cut a long story short, I hooked into one of the largest Perch I have ever seen. It fought strong and deep before it briefly surfaced and slipped my small hook. It is very difficult to estimate a size of a fish in such circumstances but had to be between 2.5 and 3.5 pound - GUTTED!

Hopefully lessons learnt and I might get another opportunity to hook such a fish ;).

If you are interested in kayak angling on canals, visit my facebook page at www.facebook.com/ManchesterAngler, I have several angling sessions published from last Winter.

Go on explore your local canal network ;D.

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Nice report Andy :happy: .

Some of us have been exploring canals and waterways for quite some time over here :happy:

Ken

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Andrew, just wish we had a canal!

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

Nice article there - a good read. :yes: :yes:

The canal I used to lure fish for perch is a shadow of its former self. Only a couple of years back, it regularly threw up 2's 3's and even the odd 4lber.

The Eastern europeans have since proved pretty adept with night lines.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice report Andrew, I enjoyed that as I'm a big fan of Perch. I've barely done any dropshot fishing despite having all the gear but something I'd really like to get into, like Matty said just wish we had a canal up this way.

Real shame you lost that good fish however you now know where the big Perch live :happy: