1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you wear waders in a kayak - question for the forum

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I got this question via email. I will point the lad to this topic :

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

I wore them once and wouldnt wear them again, as they filled with water when i went in. Its my own personal opinion, but i'd advise other yakkers to get a dry/wet suit, rather than waders. Since the incidence, the lads who were out that day have subsequently bought a dry suit each. To me, that says a lot.

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

This has been a big debate on lots of forums, I`ve never got involved in the issue before. I wouldn`t like to think I was having to climb out of water and onto a yak with two carrier bags of water tied to my legs. I started yaking with a good 5mm wetsuit and when fishing on new years day I did feel cold and have since bought a drysuit. Having tried both I can clearly see which is the best, though I will still use my wetsuit for the summer.

4. Longdog

Longdog www.didgeridooanddance.co.uk

I sometime use waders(in winter) and have done several re-entry drill in a row with out been dragged down to Davey Jones locker. Yes I did get wet eventualy after 6 or 7 re-entrys, and most of them full immersions so I think that says alot.

I have also had a full surf wipe out in them when I first started. I had a rough time as I was tired and the surf was bad so didn't re-entry but swam until my feet were down. Again after may be 10mins in water I was wet but not dragged down with wellies of sea water.

I wear neoprene ones with a dry cag over the top and then my PFD all fastened nice and tight. There is a 'waders of death' video on youtube if you look for it. Pretty convincing that they're not necessarily bad.

Having said that I wear a wetsuit in the summer as it's less bulky, easier to move in, and I do prefer it. If I had the money I'd get a dry suit but I don't.

Kev

5. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont know why people wear waders in kayaks, not that they will kill you....Ive seen a lot of evidence that they wont.
    but what I wonder is why use waders when you could easily get away with a wetsuit (about the same price as a lot of the decent waders out there) or even neoprene trousers which are a lot less than either waders or a wetsuit......unless of course you already own the waders and are just trying to keep costs down.
    I thought about waders and belt with a dry cag and I do have a cag for the summer which I will pair with a sleeveless "long john" style wetsuit. the key difference Ive found between waders and wetsuit/wetsuit trousers is that there is no closed seal at the feet (unllike waders with the wellie style boot at the foot), so only a limited amount of water can build up there,
    but for me the peace of mind of a drysuit and the convenience of not being wet through when you get back to the car takes some beating
    they are well pricey though unless you get one second hand
    just my two penneth

6. newdave

newdave Guest

personally i think this has been done to death, and you certainly wont die because you are wearing waders if you use them correctly with a belt & a good drycag over the top.
    but this is my opinion I use all the options. I use a drysuit in winter. unfortunatley it rear entry so it causes me problems when out alone & it does not have a fly so if i ever get caught short with no one to unzip me i will piss myself :embarrass:, I have a longjohn wetsuit that used when i first started, the disadvantage to me is that you need to change after yakking, as oposed to stripping off the outer garments & going to the pub. the 3rd option that i use a lot in summer is the breathable waders with belt & a drycag over the top. personally i feel this is fine. with the benifit of using the various options i my preference for the future would be a two piece drypants & cag, maybe the Palm type, not cheap but probably the best all round solution. The most important thing though is practise your drills & make sure you are happy with what you are wearing but then its probably better if you dont fall in :yes:

7. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dave,

How do the pants and top work ? Ive never seen them. Can you get them at ROHO water sports ?

If anyone is interested in the video - its here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/wearing-waders-kayak.php

8. newdave

newdave Guest

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I use a two piece dry suit system, and I must admit, I'm tempted to use my dry pants as waders! Lot more comfortable to walk in. But if I were to buy another pair, I'd get a sown-in sock. Hate the latex ankle seals on my pants. Just wearing the pants is great in summer. But in summer, a pair of lightweight waders with a belt will be the same as dry pants and a tee shirt or whatever. No difference at all.

My mate went in wearing waders last spring, and got very wet and very cold. When I've taken a spill I've stayed fairly dry by comparison, but you have to be wearing the top for it work. And full dry suits get very hot, very quickly when the sun comes out...

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

last season i wore neoprene waders and a belt and i did quite a few re-entrys some as practice and a few that were not... :laugh: :laugh:
    i am still here....but i would rather have a drysuit....

11. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

waders suicide

12. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

I have the Palm sidewinder combi pants & a Gul dry cag. I use these in the warmer weather, however you can still get water down the pants if you take a dip. It's great kit but I bought a wading belt to wear with the Palm salopettes. I have also got a full dry suit for colder weather. I personally would not wear waders.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Im just gona settle on a long john wetsuite , when it eventually comes , ordered it about 5 weeks ago a csr one , kept chasing it up they said they had sent it and it must of got lost , they said they would send another which didnt arrive , phoned them up again chasing it , then they said that must of been lost in post agian , now they have no stock of them and would a palmn one with a zippered front do , :confused:, This was last week , guess what ..it hasnt come .....
    When i eventually get it , i am just gona try and wear that with a touring cag , i cant do full dry cags , makes me go blue in the face ......Hopefully we will see a warm summer and i wount need to wear me waders or invest in a dry suit or dry cag.....

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

If it doesnt arrive and you end up cancelling you order Dav, Surfstore at Bishopton, just outside of Stockton sell them. You could allways try them on first.

15. Baramundi Bob

Ok, I never commented on this before because I never had the experience to be able to say one way or another. These are my findings based on wearing snowbee chest waders with a diving belt + Palm dry cag.

Capsize 1. Came up under the kayak, paniced like shtie. Composed myself and managed to get back on the kayak with little effort. Felt only very slightly wet somewhere in the midrif. I was unsure if water had come in from the top or the bottom. Certainly no water at all inside the waders. Once on the kayak I warmed up quickly once paddling.

Capsize 2 - Same again. No wetter than before only slightly wet around midrif. Managed to get back on the kayak with ease.

Capsize 3 - Got wetter this time. Lower chest and stomach area very wet. Still nothing in the waders. Now feeling a little tired Mike assisted me from the water.

Capsize 4 - Similar. Starting to feel cold. Assisted to get out by Mike. This time I feel wet around the never regions. Certainly not full of water down there.

Capsize 5 - Similar. Pulled onto the lifeboat by the lads from Staithes. Feeling cold and wondering If I could have pulled myself back onto the yak at this point. Definitely cold and glad of a rest on the lifeboat.

So that's its. Five times in the water and very little down the waders. When I got back to the car I went to get changed. I was bone dry from my chest upover so the water had come in through the bottom of the dry cag. The bottom of my T shirt and jumper was wet but not drenched. My Groin was slightly wet but I would like to bet this was seepage through the clothing rather than water getting in the waders.

Will I continue to wear waders on a kayak ?? Certainly although if it was middle of winter I would think twice. I feel I could get myself out and be able to paddle back to shore.

That's my findings. I went in with waders on 5 times. I'm still alive to tell the tale. I wouldn't want to go in more than twice if I was on my own.

16. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Glenn, am glad you aproached this with your normal gear & proved that its OK, as for water temp, its probably still pretty cold, just the air temp improving, the north sea is at its warmest in September & coldest Jan - april, sounds like they gave you a good workout :yes:

17. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like you can get away with it if you go in just the once, and it goes to show that if waders are used in conjunction with a wading belt then the waders = an early death myth is proved as such. I was gald of the drysuit today though and it lived up to its name...bloody hell is that sea cold if your in it for more than 5 minuites, but when it came to the end of the day I just got out of the suit, stowed it in the boot and set off home in the dry clothes I had arrived in adn used on the sea all day, I can see it being a bit hot in the summer though and will go for the long john wetsuit and drycag option then, but not till it warms up considerably

18. Baramundi Bob

Its my normal approach Dave. I like to test theories before I speak one way or the other. I have to laugh at how many times you hear people speak with pseudo authority on fishing forums and you just know they have never tested the theory.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Totally agree glen , sox still dry as a bone :cheesy: