1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you eat dogfish?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by steven watt, Mar 5, 2011.

1. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

hi all i just want to no if you can eat dogfish, just that i caught a few the other year on roker pier and never thought about eating them thanks steve

2. Steve

Steve Rockling

used to be called rock salmon and yes you can eat it. it was popular years ago

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yes you can mate, just get it skinned as soon as you catch it or the skin leaks amonia into the flesh and it tastes like the smell of p!ss !
    This was fresh caught and skinned anglesey doggy, cut into chunks and then breadcrumbed and deep fried, just like scampie :
    [​IMG]

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I gut them on catching chuck em in the pressure cooker bring to pressure turn off immediately skin immediately after reducing pressure beautiful has same effect as skinning them straight away

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Steve When ever i catch dogfish All i do is cut them in half stick a 3406 12/0 /14/0 hook in them and send them back down The Skate love em tightlines Alain

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Remember when you posted that picture Dave , from a holliday in wales :yes:
    looks delicious

7. hughiep

hughiep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They are nice to eat but a pain in the arse to skin..last time my mrs coocked any she baked them in the oven with the skin on...and hey presto as she pulled off the tin foil the skin came with it !!!

8. steven watt

thanks lads for the reply, im going to try it next time

9. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

Down here in the South East (Essex), every fish shop sells it under the name of Rock Eel. As they do Plaice and Skate (middle or wing) as well.

10. GizzaCod

GizzaCod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Rock Salmon or it's called Flake which I believe is a popular fish in chippies in Australia. Lovely fish with a pink tinge hence Rock Salmon, you can do anything with it bake, poach, fry and steam it. People should eat more of it in the chippies then we wouldn't be having debates on alledged over fishing of Cod.

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

caught thousands of em ,never thought of eating one until i saw jellyworms pic ,will be giving it a try when i go to wales .
    will sharpen the filleting knife on the doggie before i skin it .

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Easiest way is to nick the flesh near the pec fins and then stand on the head while you rip the skin off towards the tail, wear garden gloves as you do it as the scuffs that take your kin off take ages to heal !

Here you go, I use this method and it is quick but still a reeet wrive getting the skin off .
    How to skin a dogfish

13. steven watt