1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can this work in the uk? i think so!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 1LASTCAST, May 19, 2012.

1. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

With shad fishing in the uk coming on leaps and bounds ive been toying with the idea of making one of these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3PqJzFYCE
    by modifying a 6 oz or 8 oz beakaway mould and using extra long stainless steel wires,they look pretty good in the water and could easily be made by leaving the wires long then attatching shads of your choice to the 5 clips,,the umberrella rig or as the yanks sometimes referre to as the allabamma rig has been arround for a while in the usa and was wondering if it could have an impact on fishing for cod and pollock over here,personally i think it would work but what are your views on the matter,could it take off in the uk? pros and cons welcome??,i think it would be exellent if a single mackerel tinsel feather was atatched to each arm for maccy bashing as the tangles would be greatly reduced,thanks for looking lads and your comments would really be appreciated. :happy:

2. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it looks a good idea and worth a try,wouldnt be hard to make some thing similar,,
    i would guess after time of catching with it and bending the wires straight all the time they would snap off,,

3. 1LASTCAST

yes deano i did think about that,i was going to use springy thickesh stainless steel wire which has a bit more strength,i think the concept is brilliant as instead of the fish honing in on one shad it has the choice of five and really it doesnt matter which one it hits,i also think the attraction is greatly increaced as the same action of all shads in tandem replicate that of a shoal making it more realistic hence a better chance of fooling a weary fish,i also apreciate the chance of a multiple hook up which could put strain on the gear,i think the only thing you would lose if a multiple hook up was achieved is the fight of one fish but its only the same if you get a couple of fish on a muppet and pirk rig,the other good point is you could put different coloured shads on the rig and this could also tell you which they liked to go for best,just a thought.

4. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the other hard part would be making the loops on the end of the wires strong,u might have to weld them or solder them so it dont pull out,,if u got a old grip lead mould were the wires come out off the nose of it u got it made easy,,
    like u say try different colour muppets on each arm, i would only try it with muppets coz it would be a big loss if u used shads,,

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Gary best thing you can hang off that is all the c-ap tackle you have you coulden`t catch a cold useless git that U are :laugh: you and robson Bloke have one thing in common your both W anchors and big ones at that only water your boats seen is rain water get the thing sold ill swap u for a lucky bag Boat jumble in a few weeks are we off ? tight-lines Alain

6. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Ill put up a picture of the ones i make asap , yep they do work in the uk

[​IMG] 2.5oz
    [​IMG] 2 3/4oz
    [​IMG] this is too much for of the shore coming in at 6oz some one wanna try it of there yak there welcome to have it without the shads sorry

cheers mark

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

why not just use a big net lads? kinda spoils it for me that. give me light tackle and a single shad any day of the week

8. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Matt i tried these in the u.s and just thought id give it ago here, its not something id use normally i prefer soft plastics my own made plugs and dropshottin

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

It is what i call a greedy rig .

paul.

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Well it was designed in the u.s but its really only the same as a hokki rig just presented different way

11. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Looks like it could be useful as a quick way of catching Macky for bait on the way out to deeper water. It does appear similar in principle to a Hokii rig but it would be interesting to find out if it's actually better. If not, it could make a nice mobile for a baby (minus the hooks of course).

12. 1LASTCAST

yes that was one of my points about using as a non tangle maccy rig,Mark they look the buisness mate,probably with five a bit as Paul says greedy but 2 spot on ,i was thinking that the 4 surrounding shads dont really need hooks,just the one 6 or 7 inches back for cod or pollock as this is the one the fish will hit being the nearest to the rear.
    Alain(captain hook),mr boathook himself,wondered when you would stick your oar in or should i say gaff :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    whatever you do dont use one of these fully loaded at driffield,who knows what could happen!! you need to stick one of these each up your nostrills might stop you snoring!!,remember i still have the snoring vid of you on my phone from crinnan and im hovering on the post button,haha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:,anyway when we off on our next jaunt,all this grafting lark is tiring me out!!! :snore:

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Gaz Fin as just come back from a few days up there had 10 fish over three days from 60lbs to 2 over 200lbs he is on about a few days towards the end of june 27th ? who you fixed for a day out this next week ? we`ll have to stock up with the makkie for you now what ive not had my boat cranked up since october ill get it sorted tomorrow if i get chance there was one of them umberella rigs on special offer but like you say we could make them up for next to nowt would be good off a down rigger ?

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Will the solid wire not spoil the natural action of the shad ? I'm with silver fox single shad light gear and braid all the way. Sorry lads but for me in this case less is most definitely more.

15. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

The shads are on just to show what can be used, the ones i used in the u.s had 5 shads very similar to the ones i made

its just a different way to present lures and as for light gear i do light very light 0.3gram jig heads.

16. 1LASTCAST

same here Mark,i fish very light single jig heads just though this would have the added attraction of a shoal with the single hooked shad been further back,its got to be a more visual target a small ball of baitfish to a single shad,also dont think the action of the shad would be spoilt as a loop and clip swivel would give a good range of movement,as i fish a lot of wrecks i was thinking this would be used soley for deep water work,still cant help thinking this would be a briliant tangle free maccy bashing rig,gonna make one at the weekend,thanks for the pm Mark and thanks to all the lads for their input

17. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Dont bother making one you can have the 4 one for the cost of postage pm me your address

mark