1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera Lenses - Are They Universal ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I have been thinking about camera lenses. It might sound a daft question, but are they universal or not ? ie Can you only put canon lenses on a canon camera or can you fit any ?

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Canon lense for canon Glenn, Nikon for Nikon..and so on...but there are other branded lenses such as Tamron,Sigma etc that make pattern lenses with the different fittings so there are alternatives other than just the actuall manufacturers lenses. Some are interchangeable because of different names actually being made by the same manufacturer, such as Pentax and Samsung have identical cameras under different brand names and the lenses are interchangeable. It was easier in the old days of film when the thread size of the lense mount was the deciding factor in a lot of cases. Now with electronic sensors and auto focus the contacts are not all the same and the baynet fittings different so you need to have lenses specific to at least the brand.......ie...you could have a Canon EOS 450D it should fit the other cameras in the Canon EOS range.......even the old EOS lenses from the 35mm film cameras will fit but they have a different crop factor which means a wide angle lense will not be the same focal length ie. an old 50mm wide angle will behave like an 80mm wide angle if used on a DSLR.

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

spot on there Dave,my sony can use sony lenses,and tamron or sigma,but you have to make sure they are sony fit :yes: it tells you on the product info what cameras they are for ,at the moment i have just the two ,my 18-55,that came with the camera and the tamron 70-300 telephoto zoom,some of the sites for lenses have a video presentation video on there site,and they are very helpfull, Oh and yesterday i got a cheque from sony for £60 :yes: as part of the christmas offer,so my dslr kit only cost £337 instead of £397 :cool:

4. CBass

CBass New Member

The manufacturers all use their own lens mounts I'm afraid, so when buying an SLR you are not just buying the camera but the 'system' as you'll no doubt be buying more lenses as you go. So if you replace your camera in a few years then you'll look at your bag full of canon lenses and get another canon. You can get adapters to fit different lenses to your system, I have a load of old Pentax M42 fit lenses. I've got some great lenses very cheap that way, but you lose things like AF.

It's not the lens that has the crop factor Jelly it's the camera, any EF lens will fit any EOS camera film or digital, the focal length is always given for a 35mm equivalent so an old 50mm is still the same as a new 50mm. Apart from the high end camera's with full frame sensors most D-SLR's have a smaller sensor (called APS-C) than 35mm, hence where the term crop comes from. Rather than crop factor think of it as a focal length multiplier so any lens you use times it by 1.6 (1.5 for Nikon) to get the focal length eg 50mm becomes 80mm. This is really useful for telephoto shots. Where it get's a bit more confusing is that Canon introduced a line of lenses specially for the APS-C sensor range called EF-S but focal lengths are still given in 35mm equiv.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Maybe i'm misunderstanding.....cbass...but the older cameras/lenses had the 1.3crop factor and dslr's 1.6 hence the reduction...isn't it ? but yes agree the difference is due to the sensor being smaller than the surface of the 35 neg.

6. CBass

CBass New Member

The crop factor is only on the camera Jelly not on a lens. Focal lengths are given are nearly always given in 35mm terms. Most Canon sensors (certainly all the lower end ones) are APS-C size so a 1.6 crop factor. There are high end DSLR's for sports photography that use the 1.3 crop factor.

The only film SLR's you saw with a crop factor were the Aps film ones but they were never produced for very long.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think I understand matey..........a little confused because I had an eos600 35mm film Canon prior to my DSLR and the info I got from the dealer was that the stated focal length of the lenses would alter because the dslr stated lense was taking into consideration the sensor size/35mm comparison......I was obviously given duff info.....goes to show you can learn something everyday....cheers matey.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Cbass where did you pick the adapter for the lense up from? I've got a pentax M42 fit zoom lense in great condition which I picked up very very cheaply on a spur of the moment thing. Couldn't say no really.

Harry old konica minolta lenses fit sony cameras :happy:

9. CBass

CBass New Member

No worries Jelly, I think there were just a few wires crossed. The equivalent focal length of the lens changes from the stated focal length as a result of the camera sensor, a lens can't have a crop factor as the focal length of the lens is controlled by the construction of the lens. Any Canon EF or EF-S lens has the focal length altered by x1.6 for your camera (or mine). So the EF-s (designed 10-22mm canon is equivalent 16-35 on an APS-C canon sensor. Unless you upgrade and go full frame then this change in focal length always applies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

I've got a few mostly off Ebay, I've got a couple of AF confirm ones that work beautifully, and one plain adapter that only works with some of the lenses as the adapter doesn't cover the aperture pin so you either need to glue the pin down or use a manual lens. There are some cracking M42 fit lenses to be had for D-SLR'S, especially the primes, I've got a 50mm f1.8 I love and they are generally exceptionally well built.