1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera choice.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Jellyworm, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It,s good this internet thingy :happy: Theres some fantastic advice on this topic on just this one page which will save a numpty like me days of mind numbing reading, cheers lads :kiss:

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ditto thanks Skl.....just about made my mind up now.. :happy:

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes great topic. I think its excellent that people are also enjoying the photography too. Its another hobby all in itself but we will all benefit from viewing the great pictures everyone will be snapping.

4. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

that's a pretty good camera you have glenn.i like the fact that it gives good focus on your subject and also the things behind are also in focus,you can read the writing on the poster's in ladbrokes which is a good distance behind paul's boat
    [​IMG]

also these two photo's were taken from a very similar position.one from my camera and one from your's.the quality of your's is far superior to mine and the yacht club seem's a lot closer on the picture you took.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye 'depth of field', you can manipulate this with most cameras by adjusting the aperture, certainly all slr's, and compensate with the shutter speed to gain the correct exposure :happy:

6. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Great post by SKL.

Ken, the depth of field or zone of acceptable focus can as you say be controlled by the aperture on cameras with that function. A smaller aperture (higher f number) means a greater part of the scene will be in focus.

Virtually all cameras focus on the closest object within the focus area. There will be a zone of acceptable focus stretching in front and behind the point of focus. Once you get outside this zone things become blurred. In normal circumstances the camera sets focus on the nearest object and therefore wastes half of this zone of acceptably sharp. The more the image is magnified the less the depth of field so if you use the telephoto or macro features you will have less depth of field than a wide angle shot or photo of a far away subject.

However, there is an easier way to increase this depth of field that can be used by those with compact cameras;

If you use spot focus and select a point half way through the scene looking front to back, half press the shutter so the camera locks, compose the image and take the shot. This will have the effect of shifting the zone of sharp focus (depth of field) back.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Nice one Clive, even I understood that :surprise: no wonder I,ve never won photo of the month with you lot on here :laugh:

8. Baramundi Bob

Hi Ringer, Im quite happy with my purchase. For simple point and shoot shots it does the job. The camera has a x12 zoom at 7 mega pixels and a x18 zoom at 5 mp. When I was doing a bit of research on the subject I stated I would be taking pics of people fishing often from some distance away and the guys on the camera forums suggested this one or a very similar one from fuji. It also has anti shake built in so you get clearer shots especially when its real windy.

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

this thread is more informing than some books i've just read, :surprise: any chance of a quick idiots guide to f stops clive :cheesy:

10. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

'f' stops refer to the aperture that allows light into the camera in a controlled way. They are commonly marked on camera lenses as f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22 & f32. F2 to f4 to f8 etc are regarded as one stop intervals whereas f2 to f2.8 or f4 to f5.6 would be half stop intervals. Don't worry - be happy.

The amount of light that can pass through an aperture of f2 is twice as great as can pass through an aperture of f4 and four times as great as f8. Think of it as different sized hosepipes. A 1" hose will let more water through than a 1/2" hose. So if you increase the aperture by one stop you double the light that enters the camera. If you open up by half a stop then one and a half times thelight gets through.

The smaller the aperture, the higher the f stop number.
    The smaller the aperture the less light passes through it.
    The smaller the aperture the more depth of field is available.

Depth of field is the area of acceptable focus around the point of sharpest focus. Just about all autofocus cameras set their focus point on the closest object within the focus area. If you have a large focus area then it is likely that the camera will set focus on something close to you and objects in the background will be out of focus. There will be a zone of acceptable focus in front of the image that is wasted.

Here the focus area was large and the camera has set focus on the second row of flies.

[​IMG]

If you select spot focus and pick something in the middle of the scene to focus on the depth of field is much better. In this next illustration have focused on the black and grey flies in the middle of the photo. The right half of the photo shows the depth of field at f11 and the left half shows a much greater depth of field at f32.

[​IMG]

Obviously if you reduce the amount of light entering the camera by selecting a small aperture the shot could be under exposed and therefore too dark. To compensate this you increase the length of time the shutter is open. Most cameras will do this automatically. So if the light meter said that the exposure should be 1/30 of a second at f8 you could also set 1/60 of a second at f4. The shutter is open for half the time, but this is compensated by the aperture letting twice as much light through. 1/30 at f8 is the same exposure as 1/60 at f4 or 1/15 at f 16.

When you take photograph you generally decide which is the best exposure to suit the scene or subject. Fast moving subjects need a faster shutter speed to freeze the action. This entails a wider aperture. Scenic shots often need a great depth of field and therefore a small aperture. The longer shutter speeds required for small apertures may mean using a tripod. It's all a compromise at the end of the day.

Generally speaking you will get greater depths of field when you are further away from the subject or using wide angled lenses as well as with smaller apertures. Shallow depths of field occur when you are close to the subject or use telephoto lenses as well as with wide apertures.

Also, the size of the sensor will have an impact on depth of field. The smaller the sensor the greater depth of field for any given aperture & camera to subject distance. This is why a lot of the cheaper compacts can take good macro shots. If you tried the same shot with a digital SLR that has a much bigger sensor it wouldn't have as much front to back sharpness on the same settings.

11. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

thanks clive ,think i've grasped that now :educated: the book i've been reading on camera lighting never explained it as good as that.you certainly know your stuff :wink:

12. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

I put this thread up earlier. There might be something of interest.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/clives-pictures/fotographing-phlies/msg37964/#new

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Superb thread ...thanks Clive for all the pointers.... :happy:

Glenn do you fore-see a photography article being added to the site...hint hint.....seeing as so many of us love capturing our trips out ??

14. longcast22

longcast22 New Member

look at SONY CUBERSHOT they are very good and easy to use. :wink:

15. longcast22

longcast22 New Member

that should read CYBERSHOT :educated: :educated:

16. Baramundi Bob

Well we could do something, what do you suggest ?

There's already the gallery where you can add various types of pictures. See the site menu. All forum members can add pics there.

Are you meaning a photography board within the forum where we can discuss photography and display all our pics regardless of whether they are fishing related or not ?

Or something else ?

17. Baramundi Bob

I guess it depends on how willing Clive is to answer all our questions :cheesy:

18. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

A few years back I wrote a book for non - photographically minded people using compact film cameras. I had all the manuscript prepared and accepted by a publisher and all I had to do was provide photographs to illustrate it. It was around the time that digital was just coming to the fore and it gained ground much quicker than anyone expected. So the publisher asked me to rewrite it to accomodate digital cameras. I couldn't be arsed to re-write the whole 30k manuscript, and in any case it would have meant investing a couple of grand in new digital cameras and I'd only made £300 from a previous book so I binned the project.

As far as I know nobody has yet come up with a decent 'how to' book especially written for users of compact digicams. Even seasoned pro's don't always understand how to make the best of these auto-everything cameras. All too often the automatic functions of these cameras stifles creativity and it is knowing how to overcome the camera's auto functions that makes great shots.

I'll try and find time to put a basic guide up. In the meantime; ask away.

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well the choice has been made and a luurvely Canon eos 400d arrived this morning complete with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses plus the under camera battery grip :happy: :happy:

No doubt the pics will suffer for a while until I get used to the functions of an SLR again....been a couple of years since I used one and not used a digital-slr......if par for the course with Canon though no doubt will be user friendly. :happy:

So now the choice ....do I go fishing on Thursday or do I take the camera out to play instead......shall wait and see what the weather says....looking like fog at the mo so the camera might just have to wait for another day. :wink: