1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera choice.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Jellyworm, Apr 1, 2008.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

I have just bought a samsung s1050 10 million pixcels and 5 x optical zoom i thought it was a good buy at £99.99 from Argos.....

Haveing a good camera helps a lot but were do you draw the line, i hope the photo comp doesn't become a a competion of who has the best camera, remember some great shots have been taken on some cheaper camera's its all about catching the right moment and all aspects in the pic, not just on how good quality the picture is....But i agree a good camera really helps, it's just that i cant afford one.... :cry: :cry:

Tightlines.. :happy:

2. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Glenn, Long shutter speeds can be anything up to several minutes for traffic trails or hours for star trails. To get moving water as in a waterfall to blur you only need a one second exposure.
    [​IMG]

Try experimenting by taking several photos of a running tap. Set your camera to Shutter Priority (Marked S on the dial). Then compose your shot and select a shutter speed of 1/125 The camera will adjust the aperture to balance the shutter speed. Take your shot, then select 1/30 and take a shot, select 1/8 and take a shot, then 1/2 and take a shot. This will give you an idea of the blurring effect you can achieve by lengthening the exposure times. You'll need Image Stabilisation on or use a support for the camera for the longer speeds and make sure that your flash is switched Off.

The general rules for photographing movement are that the movement will seem faster the closer you are to the subject or the more you magnify it using the zoom. And objects travelling across your field of vision will seem faster than objects travelling along your line of vision. Hence a train crossing in front of you will seem faster than if you watched it travelling down the track towards or away from you. Across your field of vision also includes objects travelling vertically as well as horizontally.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

No I dont think so Gary. Young Dan has been proving its possible to get good snaps without a really top camera. His Bemmo sunset was excellent. Like you say its about capturing the mood and the light. The people who are out and about more often will know when those special times are and will cease the opportunity to get the best snaps. The early morning anglers will get some great shots this summer :yes: :happy:

4. Baramundi Bob

Thanks clive I shall have a few tests with the running tap to see what snaps I can get as you suggested. Ive seen some stunning sea pictures with a long shutter speed.

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

I hope so Glenn, i agree the snap from Dan, the red sunset sky over was bemmo was an awesome pic, i am looking forward to seeing some more great pic's from you lads with your new camera's.... :yes: :happy:

6. Baramundi Bob

dont forget the site has a new gallery too that everyone can use

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

My brother who lives at Tynemouth is keen on his photography and uses a Nikon D40 - an amazing piece of kit, I have an Olympus C8080 8.0 megapixel Wide Zoom but in all honesty don't use it to within half of its capability, and I would never dream of taking it on the yak, looking for a cheap waterproof camera for that. These are a few pics taken by my bro in those northerlies we had a week or two ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Baramundi Bob

Lovely pics. The first one has something very special about it

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I ripped them off his page on www.flickr.com, will try and scrounge the bigger images from him :happy:

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

I agree that first pic is brilliant, i love a good pic of a stormy sea..... :yes: :yes:

11. dbrown

dbrown Guest

That new picture gallery doesn't look to bad Glenn. How you get pics into it?

12. Baramundi Bob

I just need to sort out a header image and a menu on that gallery and it should work fine.

If you are logged in to the forum you shoul be able to upload images by selecting upload from the menu. Then search to where the pics are on your pc like you do in photobucket. Please remember to put the pictures in the right category too. Not sure how much disk space you all have on there. Try it and see.

13. dbrown

dbrown Guest

what shall we put the captions just like where they were took etc

14. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Thatfirstpic is special Ken. The boy done good!

15. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I quite like the third picture aswell but agreed the 1st one is the best.

16. Baramundi Bob

Anything you want Dan so long as its related to the picture

17. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Do you really need an expensive camera?

[​IMG]
    Agfa folding rollfilm camera circa 1950 bought around 2000 for £10 at CashConvertors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rank-Mamiya 35mm rangefinder circa 1960 bought in 2001 for £5 at CashConvertors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Olympus XA2 35mm compact camera circa 1973 bought in 2001 for £29 off eBay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Contax ii 35mm rangefinder camera manufactured 1936, bought in 2003 for £70 off eBay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Panasonic digital compact bought new in 2005 for £95.

18. longcast22

longcast22 New Member

go over the top.
    " BOX BROWNY IS THE KIT" :canadian:

19. skl

skl Blenny

I have managed to get my lad SKL Junior to reply, sorry for the delay

First worth noting when getting any camera is that once you hit 7mp the difference between this and a higher amount is hardly noticeable unless you intend on printing huge poster size images off so don’t get drawn into the trap of splashing out extra cash for extra mp’s which won’t be noticeable.
    I think that although it is possible to get better pictures with an SLR this is only if you know how to set it up and have the right lens.

If it's a camera to take with you on fishing trips I'd say an nice 6mp digital camera with a high zoom will best fit the purpose for many reasons: it will fit in your pocket or bag, you don't have to cart around 3 or more lenses and then have to cope with the hassle of changing them all, they are also way more affordable and at the end of the day having a good camera doesn't equal good photos. In fact having an SLR means that if you don't have it set up perfectly for the situation the pictures will be worse than that of a regular digital camera. I've had mine almost half a year and still have to take a couple of test shots before I'm happy with the photos I'm getting and even then I wouldn't call them perfect.

Although Jellyworm if you want to get into photography and will use it for going out an taking photos, and size and weight issues are not a problem SLR’s have the potential to get some great photos.

Of the cameras you mention, I debated between two my self, the Nikon D40 and the Canon 400D. I eventually decided upon the Canon. Which were for reasons that suited my personal style of photography, I do a lot of gig/concert photography and Canon are typically better at coping with these lower light situations compared to Nikon. But then Nikon have their advantages too, if you are looking at taking it fishing with you, and scaling up and down cliffs, I'd personally go Nikon myself. Their built like tanks, they weigh more but are built to last and would suit going up and down the cliffs with your fishing stuff more. General performance wise, there pretty evenly matched though and it'll depend on the lens as much as the camera body. These cameras cost around £500 but a realy good lens can also cost £300 and you might need a few, don't get me wrong you do not need to spend that amount but it will be noticable.

As the pictures posted by carpyken prove the Nikon is a more than capable camera of getting amazing photos! And I know the Canon can match it. Your best bet is do your own research google any questions and look at both sides of the argument. You know exactly how you're going to use your camera better than anyone and doing your own research through reading reviews and taking the important bits is how you'll ultimately decide. Just make sure you look at both sides of the argument.

20. GJW

GJW Rockling

Some good advice there........... Thanks SKL, :yes: :yes: :happy: