1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera choice.

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Jellyworm, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

With the standard of some of the photos appearing in the monthly comp....worm has realised that he is going to have to up his game and invest in a decent camera.

I use an Olympus for the yak and trophy shots when fishing but I am looking at investing in a digital slr for more general work.

Having had a Canon EOS 600 (film rather than digital) before I am swaying towards either the 350D or 400D from Canon WITH 15-55 AND 50-200 zoom lenses to cover most situations from landscapes to portrait and macro work.

Other cameras that are in the running for capturing the worms fishy adventures are:
    Samsung GX10.
    Nikon D40.

Any thoughts or review/opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers Jellyworm.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You take a good enough pic as it is. Ive got enough competition from Bill :happy: :laugh:

This forum is worth a look Dave

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/index.php

:wink:

3. newdave

newdave Guest

have a look at the Olympus as well Dave, I have a E-300. its a bit bulky for taking fishing but the newer models are a lot smaller. I much prefer an SLR as well, as I find i cant actually see what i am taking on the lcd screen, but i dont think the SLR would last very long in the yak.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh no Dave for the yak and hopping about on the rocks the Olympus mju, which is waterproof and shockproof (good job after quints antics yesterday!), does fine for that.
    Looking to have another dabble at a bit more serious work...had a darkroom for a while with enlarger etc but only played about with the digital stuff so really need a good slr me thinks. :yes:

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i'd love a nikon d40 jelly , but there are a bit bulky for taking fishing,

6. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

www.dpreview.com

Tells you all you are likely to want to know.

For my money, or yours, I wouldn't get a DSLR unlessyou really are going to get seriously into photography again. The cost of a decent camera is around £500 upwards and you'll either need a Jack of All Trades mega-zoom lens or two decent zooms. If you go for the two zooms you'll spend another £600+. If you go for the 28-300mm megazoom then you are wasting the camera's potential quality on a poor lens.

I'd look at the Fuji and Panasonic range. They do compacts with a decent zoom range, image stabilisation and most of the features of the SLR like a viewfinder and Manual Exposure. To be honest, these type of camera are perfectly capable of taking professional quality photographs and a damn sight easier to carry and use.

7. Maxie

Maxie New Member

and i thought id lashed out on a £100 samsung one to replace the £30 cheapo i nicked off one of my kids :surprise:

8. Baramundi Bob

And thats cheap for an slr maxie. I was looking at some on the camera forum and they were thousands of pounds

9. Maxie

Maxie New Member

i seen two tourists in the lakes yesterday and they had some moneys worth hanging round their necks,i felt a bit inadequate when i pulled the samsung out :ugly:

10. skl

skl Blenny

I will get my lad to post a reply under my Id when he comes back from work. He put a lot of research in before be bought the camera that took those pics on the photo comp. I think he invested a bit more on a lens as well. It really is the dogs b-----s.

When fishing I like to take my Olympus mju when fishing as it is waterproof a lot smaller and a lot less brass.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Yup me too......just fancy the slr as well and want to bet the best in that price range...obviously not in the pro camera budget tho....need to keep some money for bait as well.... :wink:

12. dbrown

dbrown Guest

How much would a decent camera take me back ? Just a standard one with a good picture?

13. Maxie

Maxie New Member

most of mine pics are on a 3million pixel £30 cheapo,it has its limitations though,the flash is poor and the screens even worse i dont really know what the picture is like till i get it on the computer.£50-£60 would probably get you a half decent one.

14. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dan,

Mine was about £160 Dan and its a beautiful camera. Its one of the ones nicepix mentions. Trouble is its very complicate dto use outside of simple mode as I really dont understand the settings on it. I need some lessons from Clive :educated:

15. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I'd be looking at about 100 quid.

What camera do you use Glenn?

Dan

16. skl

skl Blenny

Me dad has just asked me to feedback on your post...
    I've just got home from work this second though and am shattered. But I was having the same consdierations as you are now regarding, cameras, lenses and prices.

So rather than do a shoddy job now I'll make a good go at giving both sides of the arguments tomorrow!!

17. Baramundi Bob

Panasonic lumix Dan

18. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

this seem's a great buy
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6701640/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011801.Photography%3EC%24cip%3D1500011822.Digital%2Bcamera%2Band%2Bprinter%2Bpackages.htm

when compared to other site's prices
    http://cameras.pricegrabber.co.uk/digital/m/52926977/search=digital+camera+hp+r742/st=query/

19. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Hi Glenn,

First lesson for free; Remember to take the lens cap off. :laugh:

Seriously, a lot of people struggle with compact cameras because of difficulty viewing the screen. That for me is the biggest downside of them, especially when wearing polaroids. A SLR has a seperate viewfinder that makes composing the image much easier and is more accurate. Some of cameras sold by Fuji and Panasonic are hybrid types in that they have a seperate viewfinder, but is not a view through the lens as a SLR is. They have a tiny screen fed by a linear sensor to give a real time image that just about matches what the main sensor will record. These are much easier to view through than looking at the screen of a normal compact digicam.

SLR cameras also have the benefit of interchangable lenses. This means that they are far more versatile than compacts as you can sap from ultra wide angle lenses or fish eyes to ultra long telephotos used for wildlife and paparazzi purposes. In practice most people will only use focallengths from around 30mm to 200mm. This focal range is now more widely available in compact and hybrid cameras. I would suggest that most people would find carrying a range of lenses a bind.

A word about image size. A 6Mp camera will have an image size of typically 3,000 pixels by 2,000 pixels. When you come to print an image from that camera it works out at around 10" x 7" as the printer's resolution is around 300 pixels per inch (ppi). On the computer the resolution is only 72 ppi. Therefore your 6Mp image would be 42" x 28". That is why it spills off your screen when you open the image. The size of images usually found on web sites are 600 pixels x 400 pixels or less. This is one quarter of 1Mp. If you are just taking photos to share on the web you don't need anything larger than 3Mp. That is far more than the web images require and it will allow you a bit of leeway to crop out any unwanted background if necessary.

If you want to print photos at home or at a lab then 6Mp will give perfectly good 10" x 7" photographs. That is not much less than A4 size. Do you really need more? More pixels means more memory and less images per Megabyte of memory.

In the end you pays your money and you takes your choice. :happy:

20. Baramundi Bob

Thanks Clive,

My camera is 7m pixels. I often take the full size shots and shrink them with xara or serif. However I note theri is often quality loss. I have always felt that using higher es would be best ? but it sounds like this isnt the case. Would it be better for me to stick the camera on lower res rather than shrink the images for web use ? Certainly would save me some time.

The things I am struggling with most on the new camera are shutter speeds and aperture. I have noted you can get some very arty shots with longer shutter speeds, especially of the sea where a longer shutter speed seems to create a really surreal effect.

I would like to try take such pics but dont know how long to set the shutter speed for.

Cheers - Glenn