1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calm before the storm

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robmc, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just wondering what peoples experiences are fishing for cod just before some rough seas are forecast? Looking at the forecast there will be a good rough up this week but tonight for example looks flat.

In the past, whether fishing for pike or fly fishing for trout I always found that just before a storm the fish seem to know and go mad!
    I know it's not exactly the same but I just wondered if people have had good success with the cod before the 'storm' arrives?

Interested to know. Thanks

2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

I wonder if they are fish that sense they wont be able to feed for a while because of impending bad weather, so they fill up before the storm.

Whereas cod rely on the storm to dislodge their food from under rocks and in the sand. They will feed once the storm is established.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks Glenn. That does make sense for the cod to rely on the actual storm for feeding as appose to them just switching on before it arrives.

Hopefully should see a few come out this week.

Cheers

4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Im certain there will be good catches these next few days. West pier looks good.

5. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks Glenn. That does make sense for the cod to rely on the actual storm for feeding

cod rely on the storm to dislodge their food from under rocks and in the sand

when bait fish disappear you find this to be the case.

earlier moult of crabs, milder weather enabling sand eels to be more evident

mean that a feeding frenzy can occur at certain marks & double fish bags

could result.

should be some very hungry fish about if spawning , many spent looking fish

maybe about.