1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Or Making A Long Line.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Anyone know where you can get a cheap longline, or could advise on how to make one. Just a short one with a few hooks. I want a bit of a project to do with my youngest lad. When we were kids we always shot lines on the scar, not that we ever caught anything but it was all about the anticipation of what might be there when we went back. I think things like this are part of the culture of being brought up in a seaside town and I would like my kids to have the same experiences I had, except for the time I took my dad netting, and he didn't realise it was illegal.

2. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

They're always advertised on fleabay Glenn, don't know if they're any good though.

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Ask your neighbour if he knows anyone with an old piece of braided line glenn,then put some new hooks on it.
    Easiest option would be a spool of 60 or 80lb mono make loops at chosen distance,have your snoods on clips and clip onto the loops,does work as well mind :cheesy: :wink:

4. paulyfish

paulyfish New Member

i have some old line here glen if you want a bit, was thinking same thing myself this year, easier than casting with dodgy shoulders.

5. martin

martin New Member

Glenn, got two home made ones, one 130 yards, 79 hooks and a smaller one about 10 yards with 7/8 hooks. If you want to borrow one till you find one or I can knock one up for you at cost, whatever length you want . Let me know and I will price it up. Cheers, Martin

6. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i made a long line up a few years ago , and the mainline was polypropalene rope that the likes of B.T use.

use anything less and you'll find it wiped out if any weed gets swept in, - also i found out after a few settings that you should set your line across the tide instead of parallell with it - it stops the snoods from twisting round the mainline as much

that set up is ideal to set over rock marks - over sand you could use individual 80lb snoods ( use lighter snoods and they are trashed easily) with a piece of bar attached, buried in the sand a foot or so down , it also helps to spot them if you put 6" of white tape along the snood

7. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Glen, I agree with crabnut don't use mono as the main line if you can find some cotton or similar natural fibre that when its wet sinks, over the years I think I have tried every known combo poly prop is good but you have to anchor it in more points cos it floats. The Cretablock was always a good shot as was that little step in the scaur just Whitby side of Saltwick nab between the nab and rail hole, if you follow it towards Whitby it falls into rail hole also a good trout shot with a net (allegedly :whistle:).
    I've always done best on the beach with individual hooks threaded through bits of plywood buried a foot deep but you have to shoot in the dark cos the winged rats pick up quick and soon clean you off in daylight.
    Let us know how you get on.

Les

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Some of the old timers used to go on the West Scar at Redcar look for small cracks or a flaw crack in the scar , knock a series of nails in at a few
    foot intervals , then clip a trace or fix a wire loop to the nail and then fix a trace to it , this method used to produce quite a few fish or as Crabnut said on soft ground the method dave mentioned works well

9. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

10. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

glen il find the number i got them brand new with 50 hooks for £35 delivered

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi glen ,wont take you long to win the 50 cod challenge with a long line with 80 hooks on it but your bait freezer will soon empty filling them hooks with crab or cart,lol.
    frank.

12. Baramundi Bob

I was going to use a bit of worm and mussel Frank.

13. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

See if you can get some "tellpies or paps" Glen, I have no idea why they work so well on a line but they do, it may be that crabs don't bother with them as much. After Christmas tellpies do really well in the soft again I don't know why but they do.

Les

14. frank avey

hi glenn ,3mm x 100ft pro longline with 19, 5/0 hooks .
    online at anglers supplies cardiff.
    £9.75 plus £3.00 postage , have a look mate seems good quality.

15. Baramundi Bob

have you got a link please frank

16. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Glenn bait wise, i would bait with whole small squid. They will stay on the hook longer, especially if there are a lot of crabs around.
    Cheers Col.

17. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

18. frank avey

someone already put link on for you glenn ,would have done it earlier but wasnt sure how to .
    frank.

19. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

glenn pm alain, mate andys got some brand new ones,spoke to him yesterday made by bridport,50 hook stainless ,the mutts nutts,he has 10 sets :wink:and they will be cheap

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

In reply to (1LASTCAST) i can get hold of longlines 60 fathoms long 50 3/0 Hooks £30 10 available tightlines Alain