1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Busy Few Days For Whitby Lifeboat

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Baramundi Bob

    Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

    RNLI Whitby has had a busy few days which started with the arrival of the relief Trent class lifeboat Corinne Whitely at the station on Friday 20 August 2010. It immediately went on service to replace the all weather lifeboat George and Mary Webb, which was due to go to Buckie in Scotland for minor works that were unable to be carried out at the station.

    At 14:05 on Wednesday 25 August 2010, the Whitby relief Trent class lifeboat was tasked by Humber Coastguard to help the 12 metre Dutch sailing vessel RAN with two people aboard. It was having problems with its engines and had broken down. The yacht was two and a half miles north west of Whitby. When reached by the RNLI lifeboat, it was taken in tow and brought safely back into Whitby Harbour, where it was placed alongside the Fish Quay. The lifeboat was refuelled and declared ready for service at 15:15.

    On Thursday 26 August 2010 at 19:20, Humber Coastguard requested the assistance of the RNLI Whitby’s Inshore Boat OEM Stone III. The Coastguard had a report of three jet skis in difficulty in the surf at Upgang. The RNLI inshore lifeboat arrived on scene to find one jet ski in no difficulty and two other jet skis washed ashore in the surf; both drivers were on shore and in no danger. RNLI Whitby’s ILB helmsman did not attempt to go ashore due to the swell, but they remained on scene until they were released by Humber coastguard and returned to Whitby Lifeboat Station where the lifeboat was made ready for service at 20:10.

    At 02:42 on Friday 27 August 2010, Humber Coastguard asked for the help of Whitby’s RNLI all weather lifeboat Corinne Whitely to assist the fishing vessel Copius with four crew on board, which was four miles north of Whitby harbour. Copius had a rope wound around its propeller and was having problems with steerage. The lifeboat arrived on the scene at 03:00 and found that the Copius was making about four knots and was happy to continue back to harbour. RNLI lifeboat Corinne Whitely stood by and both returned back to Whitby harbour where Copius was safely moored on the Fish Quay at 03:20. Corinne Whitely was pronounce ready for service once more at 03:30.

    The RNLI paging system was activated at 18:19 on Saturday 28 August 2010 to go to the assistance of the yacht Claymore, which had lost power when entering the piers of Whitby Harbour. Claymore was drifting towards Whitby Rock so the RNLI all weather lifeboat Corinne Whitely was asked to assist. Meanwhile, on hearing the call for help the Esk Belle (one of Whitby’s pleasure boats) immediately went to assist and managed to secure a line on board. By this time Claymore was in two metres of water and the RNLI inshore boat, OEM Stone III, which had also been launched and was the first lifeboat to arrive at the scene, took over the tow from the Esk Belle and pulled the yacht into deeper water.

    With the immediate danger over the RNLI inshore lifeboat transferred a crew member onto Claymore to help attach a tow to the RNLI all weather lifeboat Corinne Whitely, which then proceeded to bring the yacht safely into harbour where it was moored on the charter boat pontoon on the west side. Both lifeboats were refuelled and made ready for service again at 19:15.

    Notes to editors

    • Whitby lifeboat station has been operating since 1802. It has an all weather lifeboat, Trent class, George and Mary Webb and a D class inshore lifeboat OEM Stone III.

Share This Page