1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building A New Boat From Aluminium

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by cps, Feb 24, 2012.

1. cps

cps Rockling

2. glassback

glassback Blenny

Re: new boat

looks good so far chris look forward to your next installment
    how long will or should it take from start to finish

3. cps

cps Rockling

guy who did the plans reconed 80 hours for a standard build , think ill be quicker than that but mine will have a good few mods so may take a bit longer

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

No peeler crabs for you then chris :cheesy:
    Any way, as long as you get the roof on the house before the back-end I can,t see the problem :laugh: will mart and rick be chipping in too :whistle:

5. cps

cps Rockling

laugh all you want when you see the super sharp peice mart has brought to weld on the bow you may be worryed, said somthing about sliceing thorugh somthing plastic things that bob about on the water, i asume he means bottles not yaks :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    roofs been on ages, its the inside she keeps nagging about, who needs a bathroom anyway :laugh:

6. cps

cps Rockling

wonder what er indoors will say when she finds out i have spent the new kitchin buget on an outboard :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. robq

robq Rockling

Looking good Chris :cool: women just dont get it !!

Whats happening to the trophy ??

8. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

can you put photos on here please chris,cant access them on wsf

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

ive got a nice fridge freezer that would look good in it chris,can give you the dimensions if you like :whistle:

10. cps

cps Rockling

copyed from wsf think i have used the same pics

A few pictures of the start of the build on my 4.2m ally plate boat , plans/ cuting files from http://www.cncmarine.com.au/ nice guy called steve , he even alterd it so i can have a center console although i am going to redraw that with a live well in the frornt of it before i cut that out
    i got all the big bits cut by a water jet compant as i only have a 2.5m x 1.25m bed on my plasma cutter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couple of shots of the big box it all came in,
    i had intended on building it in my workshop but due to the volume of work i have on at the moment it would just be in the way so i am tacking it up in my garage at home and will take it to work to do the weld out as the welders i have in my shop are far better than the little 200 amp welder i have loaned to tack up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    couple of shots of the bottom plates going togeather
    now the funs begining at the frames are in and moving forward to get the shape into her , it was a bit of a tussel but managed to get my eldest away from his xbox to give me a hand and with a ratchit strap and a bit of skill doging it it all went into place prity well

[​IMG]
    i have had around 5 hours to get it to this stage , i have built a few ally boats in the past but the last ones were built the old way by building the frames then making templates for the plates i have to say this is way better and much easyer
    more to follow when i work out how to upload more than 5 pictures at once

11. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Looks good chris hope your taking pics all way through the build.

12. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Chris looks like a good project is this the first boat you have built i made a punt up years ago out of marine ply what size engine will it take 15hp ? should be just the thing for a bit of inshore fishing around the head tightlines Alain

13. mww

mww Rockling

...engine? He told me I'd got to row it....

14. cps

cps Rockling

its boat number 10 from scratch
    1 glass one and 8 ally ones all the same

15. cps

cps Rockling

next instalment of pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

both sides on , not to bad to do got my eldest lad on the job now helping hold the plates whilst i tacked up[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anchor locker and forward half of the gunnels now in place, the anchor locker top is to trm after folding the suround up so as to get a good fit, wish i had senn that as i would have cut the curves out of the corners as i would have no bother geting the shape
    waitin fore some 1 1/2 tube coming now to make some ducts up under the floor for the cables and other stuff from the transom drain well to th underside of the console, so pace will slow a bit as these are not as plans and a bit of susing out to do, also need to draw up all the extra holes so if i do another they will come ready cut in
    around the 8 hour mark to where it is now
    keep thinking of diferent things to alter slightly from the stock plan to make things that bit beter when at sea
    thats one of the good things with ally its easy to do mods with

my twins are geting excited already and want to be out in her catching fish

[​IMG]

16. cps

cps Rockling

rated 40hp tiller stear 80 on remotes
    the demo boat had a 30 tiler on and did 24 knots
    looking at a 30 tohatsu 4 stroker i think or maybe etec all around the same price but would rather deal with mark at mj marine new holland

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

now you have the sides on it looks a lot bigger than i thought is was going to be id stick with the ores let MWW do the rowing and save a few bob :laugh:

18. MCP

MCP Blenny

Chris, I have a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my 5m Quintrex and it goes about 30kts flat out and it runs on the smell of an oily rag. 40-50hp should be fine on your tinny, either that or get a big whip onto mart and you might get 5 kts with the wind behind. Mick

19. mww

mww Rockling

As you can see from the last pic, the thought of a new boat has taken years off me & Chris...mind, he's the one with the bent rod as usual!!

If you're not around this aft, I'll ask Maria to let me in & do a bit of welding for you...never done any before but it can't be that hard, can it!!

Looking Good!!

Mart

20. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looking like a really awesome project! Just wanted to ask how thick's the ally plate and what sort of welder (mig or tig?) are you using and how many amps? Also do you have to worry much about distortion or do you just do abit at a time to keep it cool on the long runs?
    Really interesting stuff, would love to have a chance to weld something like that! :yes:

g.