1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSA Norway trip, Part 1

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by mick cave, Feb 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mick cave

mick cave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im posting this on behalf of Dave Rogers, Jarrow Viking...

Part one: A good start.

This trip was an absolute cracker from the moment we boarded the plane at Stansted airport, London. The laughs and fish kept coming right through to the very last cast of what was an extraordinary fishing trip. :wink:

After a two hour flight to Trondheim in central Norway we met up with Phill Dale of Skarnsundet Fishcamp who was to be our guide over the next few days. A short drive through snow covered mountains, passing wild moose by the side of the road on our journey saw us arrive in darkness at the fjordcenter.
    A quick unpack of our fishing tackle and we were soon wetting a line on the pier that was literally only 100yds from our chalet's front door.

Our accomodation on the shore of the fjord which was first class.

[​IMG]

We really didn't expect to catch a great deal from the pier but we were all pleasantly surprised at what this great little gem of a fishing mark had to offer the sea angler.

Gregg got stuck into the Haddock early on and had a good few to just under 7lb, these fish are in prime condition and put up a great fight, we all broke our Haddock pb's within a few hours.

[​IMG]

A few Codling were caught by us all, Colin Green Snr with an average fish from the pier.

[​IMG]

Fingers were crossed that we may see a big Cod or two, £70 for the heaviest shore caught Cod was the prize and Nicky got off to a good start with a cracking 16lb 11 ounce Cod.

[​IMG]

A skinny fish or two showed up on the trip and this was the best I could do on the first evening.

[​IMG]

We all caught a good number of fish from the pier in the few hours we were there and it was a hard decision to go back to the apartments for some sleep and an early start in the morning.

Phill wanted us to get familiar with the marks in daylight before fishing them during darkness which is normally the best time for shore fishing during Winter.

Around 9am we were off to Straumen about 10 miles down the road from our base for a daylight recce. The worst weather of the trip was on this day with light snow for most of the day but strangely it didn't really feel that cold, it was certainly nothing worse than what we experience in the UK during the Winter.

Waiting for a bite at Straumen, there were only four Codling to 4lb here during daylight but this was to change BIG!!! time during darkness. :wink:

Straumen

[​IMG]

Col took the first of the Straumen Codling but as expected things were very slow.

[​IMG]

After getting a feel for the place we left to try a different mark called the Landing which is only 5 mins from the fishcamp.

The Landing.

[​IMG]

As soon as darkness approached at the Landing things went ballistic with Davey Tate into a 11.8lb Cod.

[​IMG]

Nicky was also into another good Cod that snapped him off at the leader knot, amazingly we dropped a line down to where we could see the fish and snagged his broken line....after a team effort by all the lads, a cracker of 16lb 12 ounce was Nicky's prize.

[​IMG]

While eveyone was trying their best to land Nickys fish, Mick was into his own little battle and landed this fish, an 11.8 lber

[​IMG]

2 pigs together

[​IMG]

Then on the next cast, Mick Cave then took another fine 18.14lb Cod which put him in pole position for the £70 first prize. :D

[​IMG]

Some nice Coalies, Haddock and Codling were caught to 4lb during this session to. Tired but happy with our days work we retired to our apartments with thoughts of what we may catch the next day. :shock:

[​IMG]

Part 2 tomorrow, here be monsters!....don't miss the next installment lads. :wink:

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Mick that looks a fantastic holiday those fish are unbelievable i just can't get my head round catching fish like that just a couple of hours away just show what a waste of time it is fishing in England but what you've never had you never miss i fancy a trip over there but but what the hell do you do when you get back i don't think i could muster enough enthusiasm to go beach casting in England again its a bit like coarse fishing in Ireland fantastic fishing but when you get back and sat on the river bank struggling to catch a singal fish changing shotting pattens hook sizes main line hook lenght just for a bite does your head in think im off to pack my bags and book a trip thanks for the report and pictures im waiting for part two tomorrow TAXI i wont say tightlines youve had enough this year regards Alain

3. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What an excellent report, well done lads, enviable fishing there
    looking forward to part 2

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that an absolutely fantastic report, well written and with great photos , thanks for posting it and I cant wait for part 2 :yes:

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report, looks a pretty place to fish with some belting Cod as well. Looking forward to seeing the monster Cod in part 2 :cool:

6. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Cheers lads nice report - as others have said very much looking forward to the second installment of what seems to of been a very memorable trip abroad

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Excellent stuff Mick. You will never forget that holiday and I m so please it turned out as it do for you lads. Thankyou ever so much for taking the time to write such a detailed report mate, I love to read stuff like this.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

A well put together report, and some canny photo,s of the fishing , i think a trip over there is calling ,
    maybe one day :whistle: every time we read the reports from scarnsudet we know were in for some quality stuff, well done to all

10. newdave

newdave Guest

great report & pictures, cant wait or part 2

11. Maxie

Maxie New Member

the three big cod on the other thread are that big they look unreal,i bet you lads couldnt beleive your eyes when them fish came up :scared:
    What size of fish were you and your guide expecting on your trip?
    How long did it take you to winch them in and is it clean ground where you catch them.
    They are some fish well done i bet you couldnt sleep much that night eh.

12. mick cave

mick cave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

To be honest we talked of potential 30 lb + fish but what we were to see over the next few days, was just nuts :surprise:Its mainly clean ground and the depths vary on the marks you fish, the big fish took around 10 minutes to land :cheesy:

13. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

good pictures there. considering that theres a fish drought at the moment worldwide for cod and haddock, it certainly doesnt seem so in Norways neck of the woods. :surprise: Very jealous :yes: