1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bristol Channel marks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jack Sparrow, May 29, 2007.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

Hi all, i know its not North east fishing, but the Bristol channel is the closest stretch of sea water to me now i live in the midlands area, and since im sure some of you get about a bit ;D i thought maybe a couple of you could give me some tips on some marks down there, so i can at least get out and wet a line again in the not to distance future, im just looking for some ideas on marks, baits and best tides, i know lot of it comes with expearience of fishing marks, but it would be nice just to get a heads up to start with, as its very hard for me to get there just for a recce, as it will take me 2hrs to get there to fish anyway, and its a big old stretch of water.

Hope you all dont mind me asking tis on here.

Kind regards
    Jack

2. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Hi Jack,

As an ex west midlands refugee myself, I know exactly what you're going through as I had to do it all myself about 5 years ago. All my fishing was done on the English side and I've fished the following marks Aust/Severn Bridge, Battery Point/Portishead, Layde Bay/Clevedon and Sand Point near Weston, plus one (you'll have to p.m. on this one).

If you can get hold of a copy, the Veals video guide to the Bristol Channel is very useful. Rod Carter covered most of the marks mentioned in Sea Angler features in around 2003 if you know anyone who keeps them.

On the marks mentioned you are mostly targetting good fish like cod, thornies, bass and conger. Most anglers use a pulley pennel with a powerful rod, SLOSH and 0.4mm mainline, distance isn't a big deal on many marks except for the place I can't mention. Standard baits are all you need and I've done okay for all four species named on just plain squid, mackerel is also very effective (except for the cod) especially if you like straps? I've used fixed spool backcasting gear without problems there too.

Hope this helps, p.m me when you need to know more, as I hope to get down about once a month maybe we can meet up for a session?

Cheers, T

P.s. The lads at Veals in Bristol are very helpful, especially Steve who is something of a local expert. You can drop in en route, they've usually got good live bait without need to order, as well as all the gear you'll need.

3. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

Cheers for that for that Mate, its greatly aprecaited, none of them marks mean anything to me at the moment, i will have to get my sea charts out for that area and have a good look at them.

I will drop you a pm as well mate, when i have a bit more time, it would be good to meet up as i was thinking of going down once a month as well, work and shifts permitting.

Im sure i will have a few more questions once ive had a look at the charts.

Kind regards
    Jack

4. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

Hi Prof tench, ive sent you a pm, also had a look at my charts and its still a big old channel ;D, havent got a clue where to start, sorry to be a pain mate.

Regards
    Jack

5. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Hi Jack,

Check your messages m8, I've left you some info and you're right it is a mighty old stretch of water. I haven't even scratched the surface yet but am hooked (no 'crystals' required on this occasion!).

Cheers, T

6. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

jack here are some marks from the welsh side cardiff foreshore ground quite clean ranny pool near penarth rough ground pully pennel sully island last 2 hours down and 2 hours up mixed ground pully pennel the bendricks is another mark all the points at barry fish well aberthaw is a good mark rough ground rottern bottom ogmore deeps is another mark but gets very busy grip leads are a must on all marks the tides are very strong and like prof tench said you need powerful rod. congers,rays cod, bass,dogs smooth hounds . baits crab, black lug,rag squid mackerel
    if you need anymore info let me now i grew up in barry

7. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Hi Ian,

Any thoughts on which of the two sides fishes best? I still want a big Paint but you have to travel a a fair way past Weston to get them on the English side and I pass too many good marks before hand. I know they get them on Nash sands, one of those big Blondes (lovely those Welsh girls) from Ogmore would go a treat too.

I would've ventured over there myself when I lived in the Midlands but my fishing buddy had his car done when fishing somewhere around Cardiff or Newport (can't remember which) and wouldn't go back!

Cheers, T

8. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

prof tench
    there are some very big fish caught on the welsh side one mark i fish there are some 30lb+ stingrays show up now and again i go down every year in summer rays and congers smoothhounds and winter for the cod there are some very big cod caught every year there are some big smoothhounds and rays i,ve never fished bristol side as there is no need.
    ian

9. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Makes sense Ian, I remember seeing the big smoothies from Aberthaw in the mags way back, can you p.m. the area for a Stinger as I'd really love a tussle with one?!

Cheers, T (Channel Junkie)

10. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

prof tench
    you have a pm

11. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

Cheers for that Ian, will try and figure out the English side first, as its a bit closer to where i live, even though it will be still about 2hrs in my 4X4, but will probaly have a mooch over at some time.

Prof Tench cheers for the PM mate, its greatly aprecaited.

YIS
    JS