1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bristol Channel Kayak Fishing - 28lb Cod - A cracking night out

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by V8_Rob, Feb 11, 2011.

1. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

Read Fantastic Kayak Fishing Articles And Reports Here

I made a last second decision to fish last night... I was sat there with a beer, just about to open it and decided fishing was a better option. A couple of frantic calls and bait was ordered and left in a dark corner to be collected out of hours. Launched into the Bristol Channel before 7pm, line downs by half past seven. The tide was running hard and the fish were there from the start. Lots of missed bit, dropped a couple of fish early in the retrieve.

Finally hooked into a fish, and it was big. A real tussle and it finally came along side. Gaffed and dragged aboard. Weighed it on the kayak and it was around 29lb. Took a couple more fish around 3-4lb then I was into another decent fish. Gaffed that one and it weighed in around 14.5lb.

An hour later I was into another good fish. It turned out to be a conger of around 25lb, the first of four between 20-35lb, two taken on lifebait. The whiting were hard at it for a while before HW. The weather turned bad so I pulled anchor and headed back, hitting the slip around 1am

I've only uploaded one photo, the rest need looking at and I'll upload more later tonght. Weighed alongside they came in at 28lb 1oz and 14lb 3oz :cheesy:

[​IMG]

2. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Re: A cracking night out

Nice fish mate,cracking night by the sound of it.Well done for putting the beer down,hard to do :wink:

3. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Another good outing Rob, you certainly make the most of the Bristol channel. Well done mate, can`t wait to see the other pics.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

superb brace of pigs Scrumpy, well done. we can only dream of cod that big up here!

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

OMG superb fishing and superb fish very well done. And all from a yak simply stunning.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

That really is hard core. Whats it feel like to be sat in the middle of a major tidal river at night ? Do you get any boats coming by ?

7. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

Nothing at all. You see the odd ship on the far side of the Channel, very few and far between.. specks on the horizon.

It's ok when sat at anchor, last night was heading towards the neaps with a tide height of around 9.5m. The flood is strong, the ebb is fierce. I fished last week and it was towards the top of the springs, over 11m. I was sat at anchor during the ebb with cresting standing waves all around the kayak... keeps you awake :laugh:

I'll type up an article over the weekend and stick it on the site.

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great stuff Scrumpy. what a brace, top marks, top angling well done

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Will really look forward to that.

10. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic Scrumpy, 2 quality cod there fella, great report, thanks for posting :yes: :yes:

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Absoluotly fantastick hard core fishing , and what a reward for your efforts,
    cant wait to see the rest of the photo,s and report,

brilliant ,realy brilliant :yes:

12. Mark

Mark Blenny

Awesome,absolute awesome and thats just for putting the beer down!! As for the fish , well i'm speechless. Well done.

13. langy

langy Rockling

Blimey, great nights fishing well done pal :happy:

14. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A fantastic nights fishing! Far better than sat watching the tv with a beer!

Cracking size cod too....Nice one.

15. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Well done scrumpy cracking nights fishing I know what the tides are like I used to live in Barry

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

EXCELLENT result there bud, cracking fish. Would love to sample some of that fishing sometime :yes:

17. robq

robq Rockling

Cracking fishing !!

Possibly the best UK caught kayak cod ????

18. king ling

king ling Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fish well done.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

That's a night you won't forget in a while,superb stuff :cool:
    Not content with a massive pig and a big pig,you snaffle 4 big eels as well :happy:

What's the biggest cod out of the channel this year shore and boat/kayak :cheesy:

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Nice one scrumpy, another beer and it would have been another forgetable night probably, you get what you deserve in fishing, well done and thanks for your report.