1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bringing on crabs while on holiday

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Mar 16, 2013.

1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi Lads. probably been covered many times but, i have 120 live peelers coming to take on holiday with me, i always struggle to get them to pop. As alot of you use the bait do you have tips to make them peel....One tackle shop told me to cut the eyes out but i think that is quite cruel, i know this is a bit rich as i will be rippin the shell of and then stickin them on a big hook, but they will be dead quick...............

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Get a container or two of fresh sea water and keep it in a sheltered place. Put about 20mm in cat litter trays and cover their backs with seaweed. Change it daily.
    Keep the crabs in a sheltered place too. Warmer water helps speed up the process and cold water to slow it down. However they still have to go through the process, and as you probably know once they reach a certain point there's not much you can do to stop it.
    Then return to the tackle shop and cut out the dealers eyes :cheesy:

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Lol lol lol......nice tgank you

4. Safc Liam

Safc Liam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Why on earth would you rip the eyes out :surprise:

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They,ve been taking my eyes out for years :laugh:

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I once read that the glands that put the crabs in the moult stage are at the base of the eye stalks , apparently it was possible to
    force the moult stage , although I would not recommend it

7. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cut the eyes out !!!!!

the anti angling brigade would love that one.
    seem inhumane even if it did work,couldnt see me doing that .
    killing them to fish with is one thing but cutting their eyes out is another ,not for me thanks.
    does the tackle shop owner do a bit of chicken strangling in his spare time for kfc.

frank.

8. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is it April fools day already ?

Don't worry, they are on day release from the 'Old Salt's Home' for the bewildered.
    If you check their ankle you will proberbly see their tag, just return them to the home as they sometimes they wander off.

They will also tell you about the B52 bomber that they crashed on the moon during the war, but don't fall for it ! :crazy:

9. adam.d

adam.d Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If I want to bring my crab on quickly I put them in a big clear plastic tub full of sea water with an airator that has a long airstone on. Loads of air and fresh sea water usually get's 'em jumping out their shells. Clear tub is best so ya can see them rather than having to pull every one out to check.
    Ya can get a battery powered air pump from ebay for under a 10er too ;)

10. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Think I would peel if you cut my eyes out!!! :death: :ugly:

11. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

what a load of shayt, cut thyhe eyes out, never heard this in my life, fuc£ing numpty,

most important keep them cool , like ray said 1cm fresh sea water and bladderweed :yes:

they will do their own thing, trust me if you want 25 peeler ready for a session, you need 250 in the fridge :crazy:

12. cps

cps Rockling

yes,just bringing them on to me to look after i have room then when you get back from holls i can give you the empty shells :happy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: