1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Fishing Braid

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Gaztown, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Gaztown

Gaztown Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Please could someone give advice on what breaking strain braid is required for wrecking, reef fishing, thanks

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use 8 strand 60lb:)

3. Gaztown

Cheers for that

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You want heavier braid for wrecking than you do for ground fishing

For general ground fishing with shads and plastics I use braid in 20lb bs up to 30lb bs depending on which set up I use, the 20lb stuff is on my fixed spool reels and only on one multiplier, the majority of my inside multiplier reels are on 30lb braid but for the wrecking gear i have reels with 65lb nd 80lb braid, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference though in diameter between the 65 and 80lb stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaztown

Thank Brian for the information

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

IMO. 80 for wrecks when bait fishing. As said if on shads 30 is spot on. 80lb sounds a lot but so thin it makes little difference

7. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

see mozzer this site got good stuff and reasonable price been using on boats for a few years now 60lb

8. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah 80lbs is fine but using 8 strand is pushing it and asking for bother because it is not in any way or from designed for this type of fishing the 4 stand is much more appropriate and will Handle any scrapes on the wreck where the 8 strand will get damaged so quickly and snap the first time it's caught up on the wreck or even a simple contact will lose you a expensive lure/pirk & 80yards of expensive line.