1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braid upgrade

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Oct 11, 2017.

1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Been using spectra braid for a few years now, love it on my multi...
    However on my 525 mag2 (which flies) with 6oz and 60lb spectra 0.37 I am easily finding myself with an empty spool.

I fish various marks in and around scarborough, last night after a session waited for the ebb to low water and had a few casts realising i am 100yds out max with no line left. I really need to be 150yds to reach certain gullies and holes from a high water mark.
    As tide ebbs i can foot it onto the beach and with the 525mag2 or 525gs can reach the gully straight through with existing setup.
    Currently i use the 6oz straight through, never had any problems, my mate suggests moving onto 8 strand spider with a breaking strain of 44lb at 0.2mm- so i presume i need to use a shockleader ? 60lb ?

could i use some of my current 60lb braid as a shockleader, i assume straight through with the 44lb with 6oz on the cast will be a problem... and which knot do i use if leader is required.
    Been thinking, maybe use like the Berkley 50lb on the 525mag2 as its diameter is quoted as being .018 - or am i on the edge of disaster here ?

BTW i can't use fixed spool reels.
    Advice welcomed on brand of braid, breaking strain, leader ?
    TIA.

2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Have a look at sites like www.stripersonline.com

Info on mags n GS Penn's.

Just try both straight through braid if your just lobbing out,use mono shock leader as hitting the horizon

With thinner braid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. navmanfish

Or search forum history couple threads on braid multi set ups.

4. Steve

Steve Rockling

150 yard with bait. good luck.
    sorry to sound negative but im doing 230 on grass but struggle to get 130 with a bait.
    0.37mm braid is equivelent to 18lb mono dont go dropping to a smaller line it will end up as a disaster. is your real fully loaded to the lip. this might help to gain a little extra.
    but seriously do you really need to be that far out over the rock when the fish are mostly with 80yards

5. faraday

I find I have problems when loading my mag 2 to the brim Steve, had to take 3mm off then things went better for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. Steve

Steve Rockling

penn mag2 should be holding 230 yards of 0.38mm line

7. faraday

mine holds 100yds with 3 mm from the brim - so the braid I am using must be bigger diameter than it says on the tin. will have a measure with my digital caliper tomorrow I think

8. navmanfish

[​IMG]

search best braid for casting in threads, x-ref your braid thickness & see if recent braid is getting thicker.

this thread is from @ july 2010 with relevant info.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. cryo

cryo Blenny

I use the 40lb eight strand below and being fused its exactly the same as fishing with nylon. I've used the majority of 4 strand braids and find the fused eight strand far superior although its marginally thicker (a few thousands of an inch) it casts and retrieves silently with no friction on the rod rings has no stretch and has far better abrasion resistance than the unfused 4 strand. I generally order from China and it takes 7/10 days to arrive. If you night fish give the black a miss as the zombie green shows up in your headlight well. If using heavier than 5oz Ill put a 60/100lb braid shock leader on and attach it by tying a granny knot with the larger braid around the 40lb and then whip the 40lb 6 turns up the shock leader and then pull tight this works with mono also but with mono I add superglue.The granny knot is only acting as a stop knot and if you want something smoother you can melt the mono with a lighter and blob the end then whip the 40lb braid above this and then pull tight. I think I paid just over 12 quid for my last 300yd order.

NEW KastKing 270M+ Super Strong Mega 8 Strands Braided Fishing Line Green/Black | eBay

Ken.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1