1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braid question

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by sambam, Jul 3, 2016.

1. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys hoping someone with abit more knowledge can help,

I got abit of a tangle in my line on Thursday night so I cut it back, my question is can I tie a double uni knot like I would with a leader and top my reel back up with braid or am I better off putting a full new spool on,

It's a plugging set up so was just wondering if the double uni would catch after repeated casting

Thanks in advance

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Only one real way to find out, try it and see, I've joined braid before as you describe and had no issues but that's been on boat gear where you fish more or less straight up and down and not had a problem, didn't cut the tags too short and never found any problem with line bedding in or catching the knot but the weights a lot heavier than a casting plug so it might just be as simple as giving it a go and finding out

If I was doing the uni joint on a fixed spool and casting plugs then I think I'd be tempted to cut the tags as close as possible to the knot to try and eliminate any line issues when the long tags could bed in under the spooled braid

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Something useful to have when your fishing with braid is Lypsyl.
    When you get a wind knot just rub it on the line & most times the knot will pull out.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

If you've cut it back past the normal amount you cast with the plug the knot will not be a problem as it will be on the reel all the time unless you hook Moby Bass and he strips all you're line.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sambam

Cheers for the replies guys, I think I'll just put a new load of braid on as I have enough, is there a trick on not getting wind knots or is it my cheap eBay braid that's the problem

6. cryo

cryo Blenny

The biggest mistake people make with braid is overloading the spool which will lead to large wind knots when casting on a fixed spool reel. I find the spool design plays a lot in the loading as I have a pen affinity that I can load to the spool lip with no problems but my two other reels with braid spools cause problems if loaded with braid to the same degree. Also do not wind in with slack line as any loose line lay will cause the same wind knots when casting. I have been using braid since it first came out in the states and have learnt this the hard way over numerous years as I'm still tempted to put an extra few yards on when loading the spool but generally loose a few yards on the first use :) Out of the two the loose line lay is the one to watch for as this can cost you 100m+ lost line if it happens at the end of the cast which can put an end to your fishing session

Ken.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. sambam

Cheers for the reply Ken I have noticed when I try twitching the rod tip or try walk the dog I get a slack loop on my reel, maybe I'm over doing the moment, I'm new to braid having only used it for 2 seasons, I fish alone so have no one to show me things, I read or watch videos and then try to put it into practice when I'm next out

8. Dazbo46

Dazbo46 New Member

Best braid I've used is made by fox, it's a round profile not flat. Never had a problem with it at all.

9. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

If I were you I would join the braid back together with whatever knot seems fit, and then take off all the line and re spool it the other way around. That way hopefully you won't even be casting the knot through your guides, assuming your casting length of line is now longer than the end up to the knot from your spool.

Simples!

BP