1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

braid advice please

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by sambam, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys just after some advice, I switched to braid just this week and got some 20lb cheap Chinese stuff, I loaded up my okuma trio spinning reel on my bass set up and had a full morning with no problems until my last cast, the braid seemed to snap at the spool, I didn't think much about it then I fished south gare last night and I had it happen twice snapping at the spool and one birds nest or wind knot.
    I talked to two other lads fishing and I mentioned the cheap braid and they told Me they had been using it for about 3 year with no problems, and said it could be a dodgy batch, any other possibilities as I don't know if I should order a new spool or not

2. nunthorpe mag

nunthorpe mag Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've had about 6 lots from China and never had a problem.....I use 30lb and 60lb shock leader......think you have just been unlucky m8

3. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheap Chinese braid is Fine, I use it in both f/s and multi with no problems,for beach , boat and lure fishing, the same thing as happened to you could happen if you were using braid at £30.00 a pop, could be a couple of causes..

Did you wind the braid onto the reel under tension, make sure when it has been wound on that there are no loose coils on the spool, that can cause problems.

If possible when loading a spool, with braid that the braid is damp, wound on under tension and damp it lays niceley on the spool.

Braid can sometimes "bed in" on itself, and when casting it may snap at that point. This can happen when you have wound in and maybe snagged and pulled to get the lure free, or if fishing from a high position, winding in a weight that is transferred to the spool .

Wind knots, you seem to know about them already.

Is your rod ringed for fixed spool work, or multi ? Most modern rods can cope with both these days, but maybe a f/s rod with larger coilbreaker rings may help.

Try reloading the spool as above, you may have been just unlucky, sh!t happens sometimes.

Roger.

4. pavel1983

pavel1983 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Also, if u use fixed spool such problem I find when you wind too much braid on the reel.

5. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Sam,

It was me and my brother fishing down there who you met. Good advice from the others regarding how you spool it on, I like to put it on under tension and also pay attention to closing your bail arm and making sure you dont get any loops in the line when reeling in that first bit of slack.

Also, check the spool of your reel to see if it has any nicks in it, if you've put it down on rocks you could have put a nick in the spool lip that the braid is catching on.

6. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for all the info guys I'll put new braid on the spool damp and under tensions, I did wind it on holding the line with a tea towel but it may not have been enough, and I'll check the spool for Nicks ect.
    Hopefully all goes well and I will get no more hiccups, if not I'll order some new braid

Was nice to meet you and your brother beece I recognized your faces from photos of this site, I will see you down there again in the future no doubt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.