1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boulby/Cowbar last night

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Oct 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Well in my quest to search out new marks and to boldly go where loads of people have gone before, I opted to have a recce round Boulby last night. my intention was to fish boulby gulley.

It's amazing how different things look in the dark but it took me ages to find the gully but all the while I hadn't walked far enough. eventually i got to it around low water, and not having knowledge of the area and flooding tide I only gave it half an hour with no success before making my way back. On the way I stopped off and had a few chucks in boiler hole, a few knocks there but nothing substantial.

Got back to cowbar in enough time to have a couple of chucks in cowbar gully. chucked out and after 5 mins got a cracking bite, struck into it and fish on. I knew it was a good fish straight away and it took me a good few minutes to get it about 10 yards out from the scar edge when it went solid. gave it some slack and it came out. did this 3 times then just as i was about to bring it up the hook pulled out.

Had 1 more cast without success and the tide started pushing me off the scar so headed home.

gutted about loosing a good fish but that's several more marks that I now know just a little bit better, cant wait to try again with a little bit more knowledge of them.

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Were you on your own matty, it is a bit tricky at night if you dont know the area to well, better luck next time mate :cool:

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yes Harry on my own. was fine but as it was totally new to me I wasn't sure I was in the right place half the time

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well at least you tried Matty. I will tell you the same as Ive told quite a few members of this forum that if you put in a lot of time and effort in that area it will pay big dividends. The area is probably the best bit of sea angling coastline in our area for winter cod. It doesnt produce the goods every year but when its fishing it wont be beaten and Whitby club Is won and lost at the marks in this area.

Going anywhere in the dark is difficult and I remember the first few times I visited certain marks and found myself well and truelly lost. I now know the same areas like the back of my hand and could go there with a blindfold on. Sometimes its good to have a guide and it makes you feel comfortable in your new surroundings, but there is also a great sense of achievment in doing things for yourself. From what I know, the early flood is a good time in Boulby gulley so keep trying and Im sure your first fish from there wont be far away.

5. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done matty good to try new marks thats my plan for the year

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Well done on the blank Matster :tease: ......... If there is such a thing a s a good blank then thats one... On a serious note though theres nowt like trying a mark for the 1st time and just not knowing ......also well done on the 5lber the other nite, not a bad way to start the season.....

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice one matty , like any mark they always look different in the dark , one bit of advice in a situation like that if your not sure , just cast to the black water , i know its not always the case but if ure unsure do it....we will be venturing around that area consistently soon so just jump on board. unlucky on the biggie too mat, nowt worse than when that happens but hey thats fishing.....

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

unlucky on losing the fish matty but at least youve scouted out a new mark :wink:

Always wanted to have a go down there, might have a go this winter

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

tough luck on the lost fish matty , but all in all you took quite a bit of info and new ideas fro :yes:m yesterday and that cant be bad --- the
    boiler top / bottom , boulby gulley and cowbar gulley , the books getting thicker :yes:

10. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

Just a little add on mate, boulby is probably best fished on a dying sea at night with a tide in the range 1.0m to 1.5m being the best, the boiler in my opinion (big cliff might say i've fished it once or twice!) is best fished the rougher the better (it is fishable in any sea) with best results on a tide 1.0m plus, my faves being 1.4m to 1.8m ish but big uns have been caught at both these marks outside of these guidelines.... that's fishing. Good guideline is if you are at boulby, an hour up max, then walk fast! :happy:

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

thanks for the info Andy, its all going in the memory bank!

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Or prepare to climb

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Shame to of lost what sounds like a decent fish :cry: Good recce if nowt else though.