1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bopedo v Ball weights

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wilky, Jun 15, 2015.

1. wilky

wilky Blenny

Just wondered what people's experiences with ball leads had been. Have used the bopedo type, 8-16 oz for many years and not had any particular problems, but I know one or 2 like the ball-type and rate them better - bit quicker on the drop? Opinions....?

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't use the ball sinkers but still have a few bopedo leads left, but prefer the fast drop over the bopedo, seem to get less tangles using quick drop leads than I did using bopedos

3. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

I find the ball lead weight rolls better over the rough ground and doesn't seem to snag as much

4. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Must admit I have been using ball weights for past twelve months and not had many issues, fast drop and not many snags in comparison.

5. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my vote for the ball, lost less on the wrecks than the bopedo's

6. wilky

wilky Blenny

Do you guys find the balls stay down better to give a slightly longer drift?

7. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was using a 12 oz ball weight last week at Hartlepool, we had quite a speedy drift,at one point, but tbh I dont think the ball weight made any difference at all, and in the end it snagged up as easily as a fast drop pear weight.

I had 10 oz fast drop pear weights as well, and when the ball weight was lost I went back to them, they performed just as well.

I am going to get a 12 oz sinker mould soon, and wont bother buying a ball weight based on my experiences with them over rough ground.

One thing that has occured to me though, if using a fastdrop pear weight, when hopping a shad, I wonder if a fish will strike /grab at the weight like they do to a pirk, maybe they leave a ball weight alone ?

I dont know . Does anybody ?

I was watching somebody using a 10 oz fast drop pear weight a few weeks ago,it was rigged like a Hartlepool ripper with a pair of hooks on courlene baited with Ragworm hanging below it from holes in the sinker base, he was catching Cod on ite, was it the bait, or the sinker ?

Again, I dont know.

Roger.

8. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I was given a 10 oz ball-shaped mould as a present a couple of years ago and have used nothing else since. I think I've lost about the same number as when I used any other shape lead to be honest ::)

9. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I find ball weights don't snag on rough ground as much

Attached Files:

10. wilky

wilky Blenny

I was toying with the idea of buying ball moulds but with the feedback from you guys think I will stick to what I have for now

11. merman

merman Blenny

I've tried soldering brass eyes into the shoulder of bopedo's [aka darleks] then attached muppets or squid, with one baited drop loop above. They work very well but expect to lose a few on snaggy wrecks. If you connect the bopedo hooks with clips they can be put on and off quickly and another bonus is the ling can't bite through clips, If you get tangled with other lines [inevitable on a full boat] unclip the hooks and you're free quicker, no knit one pearl one for 10 mins.