1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boats VS Kayaks Name & Shame

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Darth_codhead, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Darth_codhead

Darth_codhead Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

25/03/2015

Why do Some boats not give a dam about kayakers
    Over the last 24 hours 4 boats sailing past close to me like a bat out of hell sending big waves hitting me side on
    Are thay meant to slow down as they pass You
    At Fleetwood waves hitting from two directions and a Boat wake hitting me from a third
    I must say most boat will take care around Kayak

03/04/2015

I went back to Fleetwood to day with 3 others
    Again that Pratt going to his crab pots came passed again at full speed
    this time about 20 yards from Graham the turning to make a bigger wake
    and out he fell. he was ok a bit shook up, thumbs up to him as it
    was his 3rd time out
    I have the boat on video from last time
    do I report him or show and shame
    or even both

This is the boat

https://youtu.be/6R0XVDiAZ2c

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Looks to me like he gave you a reasonably wide berth and cats dont give much wake off.

3. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Think if that's causing you a problem you had better stick to the boating lake ;)

4. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Mmm I've been a kayaker, I have a boat, didn't see anything on your yak to make you more visible, often difficult to see when your flat against the sea bed! Not to much wrong here mate, make yourself more visible! D

5. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

You've got to be kidding.
    I've seen more ripples when I drop the soap in the bath. ;D

6. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not sure why posters feel the need to take the piss, if he's posted an issue then it's obviously a problem to him and bad enough to tip someone off a yak especially when laid at anchor and boat wash hits side on

Get the boats numbers and report him to the coastguard, might or might not have a lot of clout but if he receives "advice" from them it might make him slow down when approaching yaks in the future

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Not taking the p1ss brian, i watched the video he posted and he was given a wide berth. It's feck all to do with the coastguard either, if the guy has a problem with the skipper, go and speak to him face to face onshore and tell him the problem.

This situation reminds me of anglers on the end of whitby west when they moan that an incoming/outgoing vessel has snagged their line and snapped them off.

Lucy mays comment was on the money, wear something hi viz on the plastic tub, on a big commercial vessel, yakkers can be hard to spot when they are so low to the water.

8. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had an issue with a pleasure angling boat coming over a bit too fast toward me last year to inquire how the fishing was, I shouted to make sure he could see how close he was getting/that he was coming alongside a bit too fast and the wake was causing problems and he got the right hump, spoiled my session really as the abuse i received was quite alarming.

With commercial potters you have to realise that they are going about their jobs and that if your among the flags then your going to come across them. best to turn to face the wake and don't let it hit you side on, always best to make your self visible too as has been said before, possibly have a flag of your own coming off the Kayak as I've seen others do before

*Edit, see the vid and it dosent look like you were among his markers so ignore that bit :)

9. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry to hijack but When you mention the west pier & anglers moaning every time Ive seen people get their line snapped its been the anglers fault it happened to me a few weeks back I saw the boat coming a long way off & reckoned I had plenty time to wind in but I got stuck in a snag & ping my fault not the boat.Go back a week or two before that a couple of lads were fishing on the end when a boat came in & started hurling abuse at the lads about their line the lads were shouting back it wasn't any of their lines they were getting called all the sons of T***s on earth & one was ready for off down the harbour to have it out with the lads on the boat till his mates grabbed him. It turned out it was someone else had lost a load of line earlier couldn't be bothered to tidy up after themselves & it was caught on the pier underneath & blown across the boats path the boat lads couldn't have known this & immediately went off at the lads on the end.The third incident was the worst as it involved one of our group three of us fished the pier me on the end Andrew in the middle the other one some three or four yards back up the side he decided to go & chew the fat somewhere down the pier leaving his rod fishing next thing in comes a potter me & Andrew on the end wind in the other got his line snapped & even though it wasn't the potters fault he proceeded to run up & down effing & blinding at them even wanting to throw leads at them bang out of order I reckon them boat lads do well not to come back down the pier when they've done & let some of these people know what they think.Another one two lads left there rods fishing off the end Says will you just watch the rods please in case we get a bite while we have a drink of coffee i thought they were just going to get a drink from there flasks a couple of yards away.Five minutes later a potters on its way in I turn round to tell the lads wind your lines in couldn't believe my eyes they'd disappeared I picked up one rod & wound like mad too late boat got them both these fools came back an hour later they had only been into Whitby to the café for a coffee & couldn't understand why I played hell you don't half get em on that pier

10. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not been funny but that's the reason there is a big sign on the end saying no fishing from the top deck . I have fished the west pier many a times but I do feel for the skippers potters etc heading out and been confronted by fishing lines in there face

11. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yes that was me Tatch chewing the fat and I paid the price with my end rig