1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat for inshore fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by lythy, Jul 24, 2017.

1. lythy

lythy New Member

Hi im looking for get a boat for my 40th birthday, I will be fishing inshore and around the coast.
    what i really need is some advice on a boat i have seen and really like. But im worried to part with my cash and get something wrong. im struggling to find many boats for sale over here (Northern Ireland) so feel quite limited.

norman 20 ft

20ft norman fishing boat for sale | in Newtownards, County Down | Gumtree

the 2nd boat im looking at is a wilson flyer 17.6 ft

17ft 6"; Fishing Boat | in Limavady, County Londonderry | Gumtree

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

First thing to decide is do you need a big fast thing or would a displacement hull suit you better, displacement is a better ride but slower and usually a better fishing platform to fish from gripping the water better

Dont need such a big engine with a displacement hull either so fuel costs for the day will be less

That first boat, the Norman hull is quite an old one and the engines even older , the price differencial between boat and boat/engine combination sort of reflects that

The dory is quite old but the engine although getting on a bit is newer than the Norman's engines

Will you be fishing a long way from your launching point or pretty close, whichever it is youre better off getting someone with a bit of boat knowledge having a look at whatever you buy first, theres no AA or RAC out there

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. lythy

lythy New Member

thanks for replying.
    im not into speed but will need a bit if the weather turns bad. the Norman boat im struggling to find good info online and was worried because most normans from what im seeing are river/canal etc. i did message the seller and was told it is ok for the sea. but hes selling it and ofc i wanted more info rather than taking a sellers word for it..
    the 2nd boat i belive is a wilson flyer...
    i wish i had someone to come with me but i havent lived in northern ireland that long and dont know anyone. so im hoping that i can be guided on what boat to go for.
    keeping the cost down is good i dont want to spend more than 3k i hope i can get somthing ok for this.

4. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Wouldnt touch the first one mate if it's 2 motors have a combined price of £555 as Bri says pretty old outboards. Sound like scrappers at that price.

Don't know if the second one is a Wilson, I don't think they made a 17'6" pretty sure their's were 17 foot. Could be a Seahog they did a 17'6" boat and look very much the same, most of the dory type boats around that time are similar ( CJR, Pilot House, Wilsons, Seahog etc). It'll fly with an 80hp and will pop along nicely at around half throttle saving you abit on fuel costs.

The dory's are pretty good fishing platforms, though they tend to slam a bit when motoring.
    You really could do with someone to check it over might be worth putting a post on WSF site boat forum asking if anyone local to you can help.

5. lythy

lythy New Member

thank you so much for the help :)

6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

17ft Yorkshire Pebble

type of boatperhaps that could suit your needs

old post but @ your price range etc.

7. lythy

lythy New Member

i decided to go with your recommendation and get the 17ft'6 boat. he said its a wilson flyer but on the plate it says.

marine installations i.w ltd
    easy quay
    wootton bridge
    isle of wight
    tel 0983 883960
    boat mi 066

I have searched all i can and found nothing. can anyone help solve the puzzle please.. i can upload more pics if needed.

8. brian carragher

Its probably a copy of a Wilson, plenty of copy moulds were made direct from Wilson hulls and then sold on under various guises

Soprry I cant be any more specific than that

9. lythy

lythy New Member

thank you for replying. i just wish i could find another boat the same. to read about. but im very happy with the boat anyway.
    had the best days fishing ever. over 60 fish from gurnard, coalfish, pollock, whitings and tons of mackerel.
    im still on the hunt to catch my first cod. any tips on locating cod or is it just luck. I tend to drift and jig.

10. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Few more pics might help with the boat ID.
    I'm sure far better fishermen than me will give you some good advice on the cod hunt, if there's a marina or boat club near you might be worth asking a bit of advice.
    Did the boat come with depthfinder/gps etc and more importantly have you got the necessary safety equipment such as radio, flares ,life jackets etc.

11. lythy

lythy New Member

the life jackets that come with the boat looked like they were from the titanic. so we went and got new ones. it has a radio and depth/fish finder. i have just got my vhf license also.
    no gps but i will be getting a new radio with gps very soon. unless getting these separate is cheaper. flares i need to get so thank you for that 1.

any good recommendations for a radio. i would like 1 with distress button with gps.

12. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

I run with a radio that has a distress but not gps unless I connect it to my gps, but have a back up handheld which connects to the gps system. Be quite honest if I go overboard the hand held will be with me so thats the position I want sending.
    Will check the model of my Garmin gps tommorrow you might be able to pick one up on gumtree or similar site. If you can I've got a card for Ireland you can have as I'll never use it

13. lythy

lythy New Member

that would be amazing. thank you so much. look forward to your post tomorrow. i will get the same model as you have. :)

14. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

No time to sort it today having car probs hopefully will get to it tomorrow

15. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

My plotter is a Garmin 182C. This uses a garmin blue chart data card, so you will need a gps that is compatable with this type of data card. Don't know if these have been superceded with a more modern system but still plenty of them for sale on the net. The card I have is for the irish sea if you google it you can see the area it covers. Anyway if you get a gps that takes this type of card let me know.
    Trev

16. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bonwitco make cracking inshore boats, good sea keeping properties and dont take much to get on the plane.

17. brian carragher

Youre right they do but he's already bought his boat