1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing For Cod At Whitby - Used To Be Excellent !!! Is It Still ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:cheesy:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/cod-fishing-video

2. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Re: Boat Fishing For Cod At Whitby - Used To Be Excellent

Strange title, especially the "used to be" bit. I was under the impression the cod fishing from Whitby was still amongst the best in the whole British isles.

3. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Makes me remember how things were..... Heavy rods, Heavy Penn Reels, Heavy Dacron Line, (or that stuff from Bradford that car seat belts were made from, cant remember its name ) Heavy pirks.

Heavy Fish..and lots of them.

I went out with Stu Johnson on Sea Treck quite a few times, he was just about the best Skipper that Whitby has ever produced.

I especially remember one trip, only 6 of us on the boat, four were miners from Pontefract/ Barnsley way, and myself and my mate....a red letter day.

Between us we had I think 8 or 10 journeys each from boat to car with the catch, and nothing less than about 8lbs, most mid teens and a few good twenties...you really used to know when you had been chartering with Stu Johnson, your back and arms ached for a week after the trip.

Nothing like that these days, God bless Braid and 20-30 lb class carbon fibre rods and shads.

Roger.

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can remember going out on seatreck a couple of times when i was young , probs the best boat fishing ide ever experienced .

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The cod fishing is STILL is excellent at whitby glen not on the same level as 70ss and 80ss

but still very good its just got a lot harder for the skippers last year was bumper year for cod on sea -otter 2 it fished its nutts off there was more and bigger fish in the days of the old sea trek i know because i was there i worked for the same man as stuart did before he bought sea trek off the owner

and i all so worked with stuart on sea trek stuart was a very good skipper he worked hard for the lads the job was a hell of lot easyer in those days for the skippers

but believe me the way good skippers work these days the job has been revelutionized the way shads for one have made hugh difference to boat fishing i have been doing this job for many years and seen a the difference but if you compaire whitby to the rest of the uk for cod fishing and its still the bees kness.

Shads can outfish pirks 10-1 at times for cod nobody around these parts hadnt even heard of a shad never mind bothered useing one.

going back i had a guy with me on the old boat he charterd it for himself he said he wanted to fish jellys all day i assumed when meant jellys he wanted pollock i said sounds great it was going to have some fun pollock great sport on light gear.

I started on a wreck on the 20 mile it was lovelly summers days sunny calm we set up both dropped down i had black and yellow worm on dave was the lads name had this small rubber fish on his line on of those shad things,

as soon as his lure hit the bottom bang his rod was over i am still winding the jelly worm up with waiting for a pollock to take sure enough eventually it pulled over

a cracking pollock about 10lb dave had a cod similar this happened for next 3 drips we both nailed go fish but the difference was he had 3 good cod i had 3 good pollock

i was very intriged at what the hell he was useing i had seen these lures before but thought they were for pike can i try one of those shads dave yes mate he said to be honest its the first time i have used one my lord these lures really opended my eyes just to how good they really are.

It was fish after fish every wreck we hit you could not miss the quality of the fish was also good many in double figures what i was finding with these lures was compaired with a pirk was if a fish hadnt got hooked before you actually got over the wreck wyou would snag up but with shads this wasnt happening gear loss with shads is tiny compaired to pirking when drifting over a wreck .

The very next day i got the lads to get them on a morning again they said whats wrong with the pirks i said just get a packet of shads there eyes were well and truelly opened that day

the word got out fast and i stared to put reports up on the nett shad fishing exploded around these parts shad fishing has made cod fishing a lot easyer over the years and will take cod when a pirk wont

pirks still have there days but dont kid yourself there is still fabulas cod fishing here at whitby not as many as all those 20ss you used to get in the lod days but in numbers at times you can have some very very good days there are some very hard working skippers here at whitby you have to be to get the goods but there is a hell of lot more to wreck fishing that people realize over the many years i have been doing chartering you learn a lot of stuff a lot of the time the fish arent even on the wreck they are near but its knowing just where to look this happens at certain times of year it takes a lot of working out the years of experience comes into play you can go out day after day and you wouldnt have clue .

If you want a good days cod fishing its still there the proof is in the pudding .

This is just a video one of the lads shot last june i never normally bother showing catches of fish the lads had a nice day .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4V1ahQ5J-k&feature=player_embedded

paul.

6. Baramundi Bob

Some great fishing there Paul, and no-one could ever say we dont have good fishing here.

But in comparison to what used to be, its not a patch on how good it was.

Basically Im talking size of fish, back then 20lbers were regular, thirties came often, and 40lbers werent unknown, and then of course we even had fish to 50lbs, the record uk cod coming to mind.

Now we are lucky to see a couple of 20lbers all season and thats looking at catches from the whole fleet not just 1 boat. In comparison, what we have now is a juvenile fishery with a splattering of double figure cod and the odd 20lber.

[​IMG]

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/uk-cod-record

7. jethro

jethro New Member

I know its been said that the "Good old days" will never return to Whitby, but how do we know?. One day a boat may just drop onto a shoal of massive cod and hey presto the "Good old days are back".
    Personally I did enjoy my fishing back in the 70s and 80s, but to be quite honest you did get fed up of fish after fish (All double figure ones) and your bloody arms felt as though they were dropping off.
    I love going out with the skippers today, especially when you can see them trying their hardest to get you amongst the fish.and the light tackle tactics that have been introduced. Last year one day in particular, Rich on Mistress put us amongst fish all day when everyone else seemed to fail.
    I believe that todays skippers are as good as (if not better) than the skippers of the 80s.

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

This was just a couple of years ago jet hero they are still there I can count on one hand we found it hard last year.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27300.0

9. jethro

jethro New Member

I know what you mean Paul. I can't remember having a bad day for a number of years at Whitby.

10. Baramundi Bob

There is no doubting there is good cod fishing at Whitby, and occasionally days like the one Paul mentions do happen

http://www.thechieftain.co.uk/

[​IMG]

http://mistress-whitby.co.uk/portfolio/2009/

[​IMG]

http://www.shy-torque2000.com/www.shy-torque2000.coms/info.php?p=13

[​IMG]

http://www.trotoncharters.co.uk/gallery/

[​IMG]

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17925.0

[​IMG]

But to be very honest, 3 double figure cod and a halibut ? That used to be one drop with a 15lber on the jigger and 2 10lbers on the muppets,

And the ling would have been considered a baby, anything under 25lb is small in terms of ling, but the days of the 30lbers and near 40lbers at whitby, whats happened to them ? I remember festivals were regularly won with a 30lb plus ling and many more pushing close. Now you get them around 20lb and most at 10 -15 lbs.

Majority of the fish now are much smaller. Its still excellent and not untill you get into Scotland can you dream of cod in the same numbers, but the average size has reduced significantly.

Who remembers the pictures in Tony Neatbys Shop ? Brittish coalfish record and all them boxes of cod all big huge buggers, now we have boxes of 2-6lbers and the occasional double. Dont get me wrong thats good, but uncomparable to the 70's, 80's and early 90's

11. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

very true ,but the truth is them days are gone and will never be back i well remember 1000 lb +days on sarah michelle ,take a look at that boat now ,breaks my heart just think of brid ,the touts used to stop the cars outside town to get trade ,now theres nothing on the inshore grounds ,everything fished out by mans greed , so sad really but thats the way it is , most of the time fishing is just a day out now , every time i take a trip to whitby its goodbye to £100 at least , same for every one i suppose & are we really appreciated ? do the skippers realise we get up at daft o clock ,travel 100s of miles , then after 6/7 hrs they say lines up lads were going in ?basically 5 hrs fishing if lucky then home time ,

12. Baramundi Bob

2 weeks ago you said there was more seals than fish.

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I thought you were an ambassador for the port of Whitby Glenn ? The majority of your comments on this post are doing Whitby and Whitby charter skippers no favours at all !! An outsider might read into these comments that its a waste of time coming to Whitby because there are no fish left and the skippers believe there are more seals than cod when in fact that is far from the truth and the fishing if anything has actually improved in recent years. Obviously not to the extent of the 70's and 80's but the last 5 years has definitely seen an increase in numbers and quality of fish.

14. Baramundi Bob

Re-read what Ive said, nowhere have I said fishing is crap, we will still knock spots off most other ports. where else can you go out and fill a box with codlings ?.

Specifically Im talking Fish sizes, and What Im saying is, things arent what they were. Over a year you might see 2 or 3 twenty pound cod spread right across the season. Thats a hell of a lot of man hours with not many if any 20lbers, where as go back to the 80's and 90's you would see those 20lb cod on a daily basis and some well into 30's and 40's. There is no denying that either.

Fishing isnt bad at Whitby, not by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the "More seals than cod comment" Paul posted that to the forum himself 2 weeks ago, nothing to do with me, I would bever have said that. What Im saying in regards to that is you cant claim you never struggle then in the next breath say theres more seals than fish.

15. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

This was just some of the catch me and my mate Ian had only 4 mile from whitby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's getting better but it doubt it will get as good as it was back in the 70's / 80's and I was one of them fishing alot when Stue johnson was running sea trek which was owned by John grason who also owned Sun Star and North Star.

My uncle ran his own charter boat Wandering Star which we often went out to make a bit of pocket money by selling fish to Nobles.
    Here are a few other boats that were there at the time. Sea Roma skipperd by steve, Saxon Lady, Heather of Bernham, Moonlighter, Toiler, Rose of Sharon, Horizon,

Good old days showing my age now.

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Peter the there is still extremly good days here the bulk of my best days last year was steaming no more than 1 hr either way from the harbour infact 30 minuites from harbour was best last year you dont have to steam for hours to get some excellent cod fishing but its a big sea out there you have to know just where to look you gain that knowledge by spending many many days out there over the years finding the hot spot peices of ground that fish as good as any wreck , fish will gather in vast numbers on ground if there is something to keep them there its just the water clarity closer inshore which can work against you compaired to out on the 20 mile but when it is clear inshore there is some fantastic fishing believe me those 1000lb days they are still happeneing dont kid yourself not in the numbers they once were but they still are but they are arent publicized.

paul.

17. jethro

jethro New Member

I don't know if any of you can remember the tackle shop where photo's were posted outside (It was where the original Whitby Angling Supplies shop on Haggersgate was). There was a photograph in the display there of a trip I was on on the Boys. There was that much fish that you could not see the deck and we literally sat on the sides with our feet on top of the fish. These all averaged 15lb and were caught on a wreck which we stayed on all day. There was a total of 1700lb of fish for 10 of us. i think Dennis sold the majority for us when we got back in.
    The wreck we were on must have been stuffed with cod that day and we were'nt too far out either (well you could still see land).

18. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

personally youve got to look at modern technology in the lack of the big fish.unlike 20..30 all u ad was decca now everyone as a gps & faster offshore boats.back then you would be doin virgin wrecks.lads down here at withernsea who found the wrecks said when they dived on em they cudnt see the wreck for fish.they would take 40 stone off ..go back 2 week later do the same again.nothing of that calibre now days unless your prepared to go well offshore.

19. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

Spot on mate, it's called technological drift. In short we are just to good at what we do. We used to have to rely on watching the sea birds and all that old fisherman's stuff but now it's just a case of using the gadgets.

Face it lads it's not as good as it was and it's only going to get worse unless their is a moratorium on cod fishing in the north sea for a few years. LOL like that's ever going to happen, too many people are paying their houses, cars and lifestyles with it. It's sad really because what will they do when it's gone??

20. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/cod-fishing-in-malangsgrunnen-northern-norway