1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing - bait and lures your advice please

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Apr 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

i'm off on sea urchin mid week ,can anyone tell me what bait ,and what lure's are catching fish ,should i take fresh makerell,worm,or other fresh bait ,any advice will be a great help thank's. HARRY

2. cobra

cobra NIL TAURUS EXCRETUM

Re: advice please on bait and lures

hi mate.
    I fished on shy torque the other day and had 15 cod and some ling on either 4'' blue shads or traces baited with squid . others were using baited hokkies. :wink: :wink:

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: advice please on bait and lures

Hi Harry,

Blue, firetiger, crystal tiger and Pink Shads. Try them on the their own. If its slow going try them with a squid head or a small piece of squid body. If its still slow go with Whole squid on a simple bait rig. Might be worth taking a bit of mackerel but I think that comes more into play through the summer and into Autumn. I've seen Cart and big soft crabs do the business too on the wrecks. Past festival winner Dave Perett is a fan of big soft crabs and Ive seen him pull plenty of double figure cod out on them. The more options you have the better chance you have. Experimentation is worthwhile. If theres someone on the boat having a bit of success - copy whatever it is their doing.

[​IMG]

4. Andy1rod

Andy1rod New Member

My brother and me fished on sea otter yesterday and did really well using blue and pink shads. Steve my brother caught his biggest cod of the day on a fire tiger shad. Whole squid baits were doing well too.
    Take plenty of shads and leads with you, I lost 8 leads and 12 shads cos of snags.

Good luck on your trip.

Andy

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Andy. Paul said you lads had a decent day. I think it fished even better today

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks for your replies lads i'm off shopping again to day for more tackle ,cant seem to find any blue shads ,i may have to get some from whitby on wednesday morning i have plenty of hokia's and other shad's so i will see what i can find today , :wink:

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

they had plenty at whitby this weekend harry but theyve put the price up to £4.50 for 3, i dont know if glenn has any left like ?

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Give me a shout glen if you have any mate and i could see you at whitby on wed morning :cool:

9. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

The old fashioned orange muppets were doing the business for us on Sunday or anything else orange or red.

These are one of my favourite inshore lures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you snag say the bottom hook it will break off and leave you the other 2 to fish with. They are no good for the wreck fishing we do though.

Alan

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks alan ,i will stock up on a selection of these, i intend to do a lot more boat fishing this year,when i use to go regular in the late 70s and early 80s that was what we used ,two above a ripper or three above a plain lead , and they were killers :yes: many a trip we would have three or four stone of fish each (10 in our party) in a 8 hour trip :happy: OH for those days again :cool: