1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing Advice

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Acko, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Acko

Acko Rockling

I see the weathers looking ok for the boat this weekend Im thinking of a trip off tmorra or Sunday or maybe even both?
    Last time I went out about 3 weeks ago I couldnt find ANY Codling. All I managed was whiting. I didnt venture more than 1.5 miles off I did most of my drifts close to the shore.
    Anyone got any ideas what I should try? depth of water, distance off, area etc...? Im wondering if the cod are spawning? Ive heard they stop feeding when they start spawning? Can Anybody Help?
    It looks like the seas gonna come away again this week fingers crossed so hopefully some fish will reappear?

2. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

hi Acko ,im out sat myself im gonna uptide off marske high i,m docked on the tees if you see a blue colvic come accross and have a chat im told uptiding at anchor is best this time of year ( with bait) rather than drifting :) anyhow good luck mate log on tomorrow and we will compare notes

3. Paul (Acko)

Paul (Acko) Guest

OK Smoggy will do mate. Im in a white pebble/cobble with a cut back cuddy. I will be dropping anchor if I find any fish I usually drift until I see signs of cod unless the tides are too strong? Then Ill drop anchor and try uptiding.

4. steerser

steerser Blenny

don't go any deepr than 60 ft mate preferably less.
    get yeself under boulby (less chance of getting blown in circles if the wind's off the land) get into about 30 ft of water and get yer anchor in.
    don't lose heart if youv've had nowt inside the first hour,after that is when it usualy starts to pick up...

5. steerser

steerser Blenny

if you're uptideing mate, forget about running off into deeper water, just aback of serious good casting range 3/400 yards from shore is enough....

6. Acko

Acko Rockling

Ok cheers steerser Ill give that a go mate.

7. Acko

Acko Rockling

Well here goes? Its 6.50am Im rearing to go Cup of tea then im off. I wonder whats for tea? Cod fillets or bloomin fishcakes again? lol

8. Paul Grover

Paul Grover Guest

DISASTER! What a morning The trailer snapped and the tractor conked out below the tide line and wouldnt start again Lots of fun lol.
    well everything sorted out now 75 quid for a new Tractor battery grrrr.
    Try again in the morning I recon?

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Oh dear Paul, I hope the bad luck hasn't gone from me to Mww to you. If it has don't send it back here ;).

Good luck tomorrow though mate, the weather is fandabbydosy isn;t it.

10. Paul grover

Paul grover Guest

It was like a summers day this afternoon. I just made a new trailer Ive been putting it off and putting it off.
    Silly booga I am I knew that old trailer was gonna collapse.
    I just looked at the sea and theres about a 4-5ft swell breaking here. Wont be battling with that if its still there in the morning?

11. Smoggy

Smoggy New Member

shame about your bad day mate, but that means your owed a good day :) i managed a run out and headed to an inshore mark i wanted to try off hartlepool the fishing was very slow i ended up with 3 codling 1 nice one about 6.5lb and 2 about 2lb dont think i,ll bother with hartlepool again but the weather was nice and it was great to be back on the sea :)

12. Acko

Acko Rockling

Took the boat out today Was a bit Chewy getting in and out on the beach with that swell But managed OK. I fished under Huntcliffe about 1/4 mile off Got 1 codling and 2 whiting.
    Then I tried a mile straight off Skinningrove got nowt and ended up under Boulby cliffs at various distances Got nothing there. Last time I went there at least there was plenty of whiting. Not today tho not a thing?