1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat comp at MOG next year.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobthedog, Oct 31, 2017.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

MY mate just sent me the following, thought it might be of interest to a few of you that enjoy a trip to the Mull.

August 2018 will see the inaugural Mull Of Galloway Sea Angling Festival. The festival is the brain child of five like minded boat owners, who, over the years, have committed themselves to chasing down the elusive species that inhabit these bio diverse fishing waters in an environmentally friendly manner.

The Mull of Galloway region features some of Scotland’s most spectacular coastline and because of the Gulf Stream boasts one of the highest variety of species in the UK. There are some 60 plus species that inhabit these waters with species hunts often producing twenty species in a day.

As committed conservationists, the organisers have tried to ensure the fish will be on board, for the smallest time possible, ensuring a successful catch and release. All species will be photographed on a measuring mat accompanied by a unique card to ensure reliability of catch reports.

The competition is to be fished as a species hunt from two venues just four miles apart, which offers a completely different set of target species. They both face opposite directions, which means getting to sea is less weather dependent than other competitions.

The picturesque Port Logan sits on the west side of the Galloway Peninsula with views on to the Irish Sea. The geography of the coastline and the dynamics of the seabed means the bottom drops away very quickly allowing many of the species that are found in Scottish waters to be caught within two miles of this launch site.

Drummore sits on the East side of the peninsula with views onto the renowned waters of Luce Bay. The warm shallow waters of Luce Bay are famous for its variety of small shark species but is also home to an abundance of other species including Black Bream and Bass.

Drummore is also the site for the Festival Headquarters which will be located in the Clashwhannon Caravan Park and Public House. This is where anglers will meet the organising team and fellow competitors on the Friday ‘Opening Night’, share a few evening beers, discuss tactics and hopefully meet friends old and new. The HQ will also be used on the Saturday night where competitors can check their scores, keep themselves updated with weather conditions or rule changes and of course, share a few evening beers while talking about the ones that got away. On Sunday, the HQ will be used for the presentation and prize giving.

2. j.matthews

j.matthews Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3. j.matthews

j.matthews Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Do you know the dates for next August?

4. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Don't think they've sorted any out yet, I'll post if I hear anything.

5. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

wish i had a boat

6. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Just recieved this link with all the comp info.
    Home