1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blowing The Rust Off

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by brian carragher, Apr 9, 2017.

1. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

First day yesterday back on the water for a touch of the salty stuff

Forcast was pretty reasonable and it was the first run out since last year so needed to give boat tractor and electronics a run through , engine had been run on muffs and stand and fitted with new plugs so we set off with a bit of hope and optimism

Knew it would be a bit hard, we expected that but how hard would become pretty obvious pretty quickly when afloat

Pushing in

copy1.jpg

Ross on the shore edge waiting for me to return after parking the tractor

copy2.jpg

Bit of break on where we launched at Granville, caused by swell rolling in and hitting the belle on the sand and scaurs, quite naughty at times with some big boolers running in, if anyone has ever launched off a beach then you'll know just how big them waves are when youre sat right in them and going through one

Started off on the inside grounds just a couple of miles off and boy was it bad, mucky water stirred up by the swells but once you got past that the sea was just like a pea soup, green and thick with algea, its sometimes known as May Bloom as its usually May when it arrives, but with a mild winter and a warm start to the year the algea is here early, its a horrible colout and restricts visibility to just 3ft yesterday, absolutely hopeless conditions for fishing plastic shads and worms, as we dont use bait and I havent boat fished with bait for over 30 years the conditions werent ideal and I knew we'd struggle big time

We ended running off into deep water, the sounder showing 147ft at low water and we're about six mile out at this stage with visibility up but restriced to about 12ft down, still crap but we need to blast the rust off anyone comes with us and we need to fish different areas to see if theres anything about before we take anyone out, not good if your guests cant catch fish so the first few trips are just me and Ross

copy5.jpg

Wind wise it was great, hardly a breath, the steam from the Wilton site was going straight up and the sky was blue but the fishing was pants

Used a few methods yesterday, shads, worms daylights, luminous shrimps, hockeyes but nothing was working, the conditions were winning

What we did catch was small but perfect baby cod, good for the future and I reckon when it clears we should do well but one fish apiece is all we had for a hard days fishing

copy3.jpg

My baby fish

copy4.jpg

Ross's baby fish and that was it, roll on next trip

• Like Like x 3
  2. Howard

Howard Blenny

Well done for making the effort and putting it up. You could have put 200 miles in for the same results. Some of our lads have been all over for O. Nothing on land rock either or inshore wrecks (anchored with bait) even the glut of seals are starved (only bright spot). Lets hope it improves soon. Crap being ashore in good weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Much as expected then Bri, shame about the fishing but atleast you got a good trouble free run. Hopefully with the algie coming early it will clear early just in time for the sprats and cod.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking report and pics the fish will come

5. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice write up Brian, nowt doing but no unusual for time of year.

6. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Brilliant report and great pictures Brian. I haven't smelt the sea since last October! :)

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Glad you got out Bri and blew the cobwebs off. Hopefully, though, plenty off good fishing on the horizon to come.

8. brian carragher

Like I said before John, if youre coming up try and give me some notice because if I can do it I'll push the boat in, always room for guests and you never know, we might just click a fish or two

• Like Like x 1
  9. brian carragher

Cheers Dave, yeh really I'm a month or two early but bugger it anyway we need to go, when you have an itch you just have to scratch it so regardless of how the fishing is, good or bad , I'm going to give it a go, they have to switch on sometime