1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Blank" Holiday Monday In The Borders.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ian Alexander, Apr 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello all,
    It's a funny one this because despite catching very little I've had a cracking day out, one of those days that remind you of what fishing is all about.
    With the fishing being very poor of late I haven't realy bothered but with the weather over the Easter being unusualy good I had to get out, after all you'll catch "nowt sitting in the hoose"!
    In an attempt to avoid the holiday hordes I decided on one of my favourite venues, St. Abbs.
    A 3 a.m. alarm and a frost on the car only served to remind me that it was still a bit early in the year for trips to the borders but with the optimism that only fellow anglers have I set off.
    I arrived to find the Head surrounded in mist and looking very gloomy but by the time I reached the bottom of the cliffs it was getting light and warming up a bit, in fact it ended up as a perfect spring morning.

Looking South From My Mark The "Stepover"
    [​IMG]

I set my gear up below the lighthouse and chucked out a nice little crab bait on a 3/0 viking in the hope of a codling or pollack.

Looking Up At The Lighthouse
    [​IMG]

Crab Bait
    [​IMG]

A few small rattles and I was thinking about dropping down the hook size, but a few casts with the spinners showed what the culprits were. Not exactly the pollack I was hoping for but never mind.

Poddler, Taken On A Small Cebar Lure
    [​IMG]

Things got very quiet towards low water but it was nice to get a wave from a bloke out in his Kayak.

Kayak
    [​IMG]

I never saw another soul untill I got back to the car, knackered after the climb back up, but I had plenty company from this lot!

Good Company But A Bit Noisy!!
    [​IMG]

So not realy a blank but as good as and I wouldn't normaly put a post up with nothing to show, but still a good morning out and give it a month or so things should start to improve. Looking forward to the Summer now :happy:
    Regards Ian

2. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

There's certainly more to it than just catching fish as your report brilliantly sums up. Cracking pictures as well. With such beautiful weather and spectacular surroundings catching a fish is just a bonus.

Neil..

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

looks a lovely place ian

4. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

nice report ian ,cracking pictures,....how long did it take to get there, fancying a trip up there myself when it warms up a bit

5. baza

baza New Member

nice report ian, i love that place and that mark in particular. you just need to get your head round the step over. another month and it will be alive with fish

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice report mate :happy:

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

that looks well worth a 3am get out of bed, :yes:, fantastic place looking at the pictures :wink:

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Sage,

It takes me about an hour and a quarter to get there from my house but it depends on the traffic of course. I much prefer early morning tides for the fishing and the traffic!

There are several marks in the area that produce lovely red cod and big pollack as well as wrasse and coalies.

Some of the best summer codling marks are just south of the harbour and further down around the Coldingham bay area. If you are planning a trip up and have any questions then get in touch and I'll help if I can :yes:

If you would like to have a look up with me sometime in the summer then just let me know.

Regards Ian

9. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

cheers ian will definately take you up on that offer when it warms up

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ian, i've walked along the cliffs to St Abbs, from Eyemouth a few times, but never fished there, unfortunately. Always wanted too though. Also Coldingham Bay looks good, when i was there.

Thanks for the excellent report :yes:

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats a great report ian , shame about the lack of fish tho . but cracking place to fish regardless, Cheers.....