1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIMINI TWIST | SHOCKLEADER | LEADERKNOT

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing WebSite Reviews And Links' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

One of the best things I ever did was starting to use a leader, not for casting purposes but for line strength and abrasion resistance. Fishing 25 pound daiwa sensor with a leader attached using a bimini twist is far stronger than 31 pound sylcast straight through. Try it and see what you think.

http://georgepoveromo.com/lineleaderconnection.htm

2. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Re: Bimini Twist

Do you then connect it using a allbrighrt knot?

3. the slug

the slug Nelson is a homo

whoops.
    ta for this tip

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Have you tried tying a bimini in the dark and wet on the rocks in winter....not easy ...well not for me at least.I was shown the spider hitch by a well known penn points winner on this forum and have found it as strong but easier.I tie the spider then tie the loop to the leader and the leader to the loop with a grinner (uni) knot.
    I ll post a video clip of it over the next couple of days, I have not been losing anywhere near the number of leaders I used to and it is so easy to tie as well.

Regards Jellyworm. :happy:

5. dbrown

dbrown Guest

I use a spiderknot to a uni knot never broke on me yet,

Touch wood

6. Baramundi Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hw5UYn5_ms&feature=related

I start with a Bi,ini which is tied at home then if I need to retie whilst fishing its a spider and albright which is easier with cold wet hands and limited light.

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I prefer to watch Marts 4hr epic, though not in one go. Those long winter nights just fly by :sleepy: :cheesy:

8. mww

mww Rockling

It's nice to be appreciated.... after all those weeks of moviemaking it's all worthwhile in the end:yes:

Just working on my latest soap opera - the 5-turn uni knot - it's a half hour a night, month long mini-series... :snore:

MArt

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You,ve taken some stick for all your efforts Mart, unfortunately Glenn,s 6 second video shows it much clearer :whistle:

10. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

if i could get someone to video me i'll show you how to do a fast easy way to tie a bimini with just your hands,, im not sure wether i have showed glenn it but you dont have to put your line round your foot and all that pallava,, the lighter the line you use the more initial twists, your not damaging the main loop by putting it round your foot, and you dont lock the twist down by half hitching round each loop leg, you do 5 -7 full hitches round both legs,, and believe me this version is easy to do and will pull the plug out of our favorite big lake.

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I switched to the spider hitch loop as mentioned above when I dropped to 25lb line middle of last winter and have stuck to joining the loop to the leader using back to back uni-knots..........all are very very easy to tie even in the pouring rain and cold at night.
    My uni knots are 4 turns only and have not suffered any slip,pulls hooks straight before leader knots gives.
    The uni knot is easy to tie even with the double line of the spider loop,I tie my spider hitch with only three full turns round and then pass back through so making actually 3 and a half turns.

[​IMG]
    UNI KNOT

[​IMG]
    SPIDER HITCH LOOP

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

phil darby showed me this knot some years ago now ,i did find it quite hard to do in the cold ,garry showed me a easy way to do it but me brain forgot to memorise it :laugh :no:: :laugh:

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

aye, back to back unis for me too, easy to tie and I've never had a problem with them

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Why doesn't anyone use an Albright knot - just double your leader over and cut it short, its so much smaller than the rest and I've never had one slip yet

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It,s not so much to do with the knot being easy to tie Ken or anything else, it,s to do with knot strength. A lot of knots weaken the line considerably, the Bimini and the Spider Hitch are probably the best around for minimizing the ammount of strength lost on your line when attatching your mainline to the leader. They can make the difference between bending your hook out every time and losing it every time on rock and the difference between landing or loosing a good fish in the surf on the beaches.

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks Ray, but with 15lb mainline and 80lb leader the Albright just makes for such a clean knot and although I don't lose much gear down here yes it usually parts at the leader knot when i do. Will sit down and teach myself the Bimini an Spider hitch. On the rough stuff i usually fish 35lb stright thru.

17. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

19. Baramundi Bob

Very well explained Ray. I was trying to explain this to someone the other day who is still using the traditional leader knot and experiencing troubles.

The reason for using a bimini or Spider hitch is that the knot does not weaken the line around it, whereas the traditional leader knot significantly weakens the line in the surrounding area. A leader knot in a line of 25 pounds breaking strain weakens the line down to about 15 pounds wheras with the bimini you still have the full 25, plus the knot acts like a shok absorber as it expands when you pull on your line.

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

60lb shock leader should be ample for you Ken