1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG PERCH !!!

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by woody, Nov 23, 2011.

1. woody

woody New Member

Me and my friend had a few hrs with the jigs on our local river today hoping for a pike or 2 or maybe a perch toms second cast produced this bad boy !!! we never had any scales i thought it must have been 4lb or very close to what do you lads think ?
    [​IMG]

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think that is an absolute stormer of a perch and i'm pretty jealous!

Definitely 3lb+, and the rest. I wouldn't like to put a figure on it, but either way what a fish!

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Thats an amazing fish- and to have caught it on lures is a real feat!
    Very well done!

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

That is a STONKING perch. :yes: :yes:

My pb is 3lb 6oz (also on a lure) but judging by that photo, yours knocks mine into a cocked hat. :surprise:

A big well done. You'll cherish that photo in years to come.

5. woody

woody New Member

thanks lads he will appreciate it !!! it followed it from a few feet from the bank , he lowered the shad straight down and he nailed it lol !!! the good old river swale !!!!

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Just been looking at that on Facebook, what a fish!

I guessed at 3lb 14oz - 4lb 4oz. Must be 4lb+ though, cracking Perch. A fish dreams are made off :yes:

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Just compare these pics Woody.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9429.0

This was very carefully weighed by the guy I was fishing with, who has also caught a lot of BIG perch (up to 4lb plus), so I know it was 100% definately 3-06 although it doesn't really look it in the photo! I rushed straight from work to fish with him that evening and should have taken my tie off before fishing! Not the best of perch/captor shot in hindsight, but in the heat of the moment you don't consider these details!

What I think it shows is your mate's perch is so much bigger, I would estimate a 4lb plusser.

That really is a perch of a lifetime. He must be capped with himself - I know I would be. :surprise:

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

absolutely stunning fish. I saw the pic on my way back from fishing tonight on my mobile and my first guess was around 4lb. A fish of a lifetime.... well done Tom

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

What a cracking fish, and Perch of a life time i'd reckon. Well done Tom, and thanks Woody for sharing.

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Can only duplicate what has already been said, a beautiful fish, well done guys :happy:

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Stonker very well done

12. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thats quite possibly the biggest northern perch I've seen

13. woody

woody New Member

thanks guys if only we had taken the scales lol we only went for a couple of chucks lol hes well happy thanks for the comments woody yes rupert it does look bigger i know it had a really big belly that has not shown up on the photo damn i wish we had scales now lol !!!

14. bucko

bucko New Member

I'd be very interested to see what sort of set up you use for that type of fishing- how heavy a jighead, braid or mono etc.....

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Perch like that Bucko a normal pike setup would work (3-5" shad, 8ft rod, etc).

My ultralight lure outfit that I use for Perch, Trout and Chub consists of a small fixed spool reel (750 size), 3-15g rod, 13lb braid. Small spinners, 3-7g jighead/curltails and 2-3" shads all work.

Think that Perch might just get me out ultralighting this weekend :happy:

16. woody

woody New Member

will find out mate and take some pics ,,, i just nicked daves rod lol i know they use 10lb braid with a 2ft flourocarbon hook lengh but we used a wire trace cause we were fishing for pike lol 15gram jig head and a 3inch savage yellow shad will take some pics for u bucko

17. woody

woody New Member

toms a bit of a tackle tart i know he was using one of them rojeimer or something like that rod coupled with a shimano stella 3000 sized reel , one of the most beutiful fixed spool reels i have ever used , mind u they are a bit hefty on the wallet

18. macca

macca Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thats 1 hell of a perch woody, i bet toms well pleased with that! :happy:

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats some perch that like , very well done to the captor thatl take some topping woody
    .I went out ultra lighting last sunday and ended up landing a double figure salmon :surprise:, ya cudnt make it up . my mate landed several good grayling :surprise: on lures too....